Author Topic: Decade in Review: Least Favorite Players to Wear Celtics Green  (Read 31281 times)

Re: Decade in Review: Least Favorite Players to Wear Celtics Green
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 120
I would have to say Walter McCarty. 

Of course if we expand this to coaches it is a toss up between Rick Pitino and Glen Rivers.

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Yup, Sam Cassell ... never wanted him in green. There's some nice highlights here of him in different uniforms, but he didn't do much worth nothing while as a Celtic, (that was the question, right?). He had a few good moments here, but nothing that would qualify him as a great addition to this team. ;)

Is the wink that ends this post an implied, "nothing but mentor Rajon and play key postseason minutes in a championship run?"

Anyway, gives me a reason to post this from a recent Blazersedge game recap. They do some great game recaps over there.

The Wizards should have given serious consideration to signing assistant coach Sam Cassell to a 10 day contract at some point this season. He was killing everyone during warmup 1 on 1 matches, showing off his Dream Shake, turnaround, up-and-under and, of course, whoofing about the entire episode. Cassell worked harder and smarter than just about every development assistant coach that has come through Portland this season.

To get back on track, Wally Szczerbiak was my least favorite Celtic of the decade, an out-sized sense of entitlement, no defense, wouldn't work the glass, a loser his entire career in green, stole passes from his own teammates.

I love chuckers and yet I'm still not sure what can be said in his favor, beyond he kept his nose clean off the court...

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
rasheed, antoine, blount.

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Mark "Skippy" Blount

Vin "& Tonic" Baker

Michael "#1 Pick" Olowokandi

Kedrick "Wasted Pick" Brown

Sebastian "Ga'in" Telfair

Marcus "Summer League" Banks

Gerald "Low IQ" Green
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:38:27 PM by RAcker »

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Blount, aka the second coming of hakeem
Gin, a.k.a. the savior
green a.k.a. the second coming of tmac..( in his prime)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I dont know why everyone hates TA so much...

Sure, he isn't the smartest player and can make a lot of dumb mistakes, but he is a very good defender and tries his hardest. Remember that stretch a few years ago when Pierce got injured and Tony Allen was the player that led us to some wins (averaging 20 ppg), and after he got injured again the C's had that 18 game losing streak. I think he deserves more minutes, even with Finley here.

And also, I loved Marcus Banks when he was on the team. I hated Telfair though.
Example number 1 of why I hate Tony Allen....seeing the 16 game 2007 reference as justification for more playing time. Like fingernails on the chalkboard.
That's an extremely lame reason to hate Tony Allen.  People say stupid things about players all the time.

The large amount of Tony hate always confuses me.  He's proven he can play lock-down defense, bring intensity into the game off the bench, run with Rondo on the break and finish, and provide some offense by taking the ball to the hole.

I am truly sorry that he's been held back by continuous injuries and hasn't reached his full potential.  If he wasn't he could possibly be our 6th man right now.  But i don't think that's a reason to hate him.  Being a Celtic he should have our support.

Yes if this really is the number 1 reason you don't like tony allen that is an extremely lame reason. That's hating tony allen fans, or not thinking he is that good. It's not his fault that he played pretty well for our team during that terrible season. He is not the one that says he should be getting more playing time.

I'm sure you have other reasons for not liking him but this one just seems like you don't like fans of tony allen.

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sure, he isn't the smartest player and can make a lot of dumb mistakes, but he is a very good defender and tries his hardest. Remember that stretch a few years ago when Pierce got injured and Tony Allen was the player that led us to some wins (averaging 20 ppg), and after he got injured again the C's had that 18 game losing streak. I think he deserves more minutes, even with Finley here.

Example number 1 of why I hate Tony Allen....seeing the 16 game 2007 reference as justification for more playing time. Like fingernails on the chalkboard.
That's an extremely lame reason to hate Tony Allen.  People say stupid things about players all the time.

The large amount of Tony hate always confuses me.  He's proven he can play lock-down defense, bring intensity into the game off the bench, run with Rondo on the break and finish, and provide some offense by taking the ball to the hole.

I am truly sorry that he's been held back by continuous injuries and hasn't reached his full potential.  If he wasn't he could possibly be our 6th man right now.  But i don't think that's a reason to hate him.  Being a Celtic he should have our support.

Yes if this really is the number 1 reason you don't like tony allen that is an extremely lame reason. That's hating tony allen fans, or not thinking he is that good. It's not his fault that he played pretty well for our team during that terrible season. He is not the one that says he should be getting more playing time.

I'm sure you have other reasons for not liking him but this one just seems like you don't like fans of tony allen.
Does anyone read the whole thread anymore.

Here's my original post:

Antoine Walker - in the 2000's Antoine became the unlikable, three point chucking, never play in the post, don't rebound as much, can't jump anymore, I'm going to take any shot I want, whenever I want Antoine, that I despised. As much as I hated Pitino for not properly forcing Antoine to stay fit, for instilling bad habits in him and not leaving some veteran presence around him to guide him, it was Jim O'Brien that was the bane of Antoine's like-abilty factor here in Boston. As much as Pitino started a campfire regarding Toine's detestable on-court behavior, it was O'Brien who drove a petrol truck over the campfire and opened the hose to start the inferno.

Joe Forte - as soon as I found out he wore another teams jersey into the team locker room, that was it, hate him.

Tony Allen - hate his game, Hate it, hate it, hate it. And the Tony love of unlimited potential and future HOF type greatness that was promised and spewed forth on the pages of this website didn't help much either.

Notice what I started with: "hate his game, Hate it, hate it, hate it." and then only stated that the constant, endless Tony love didn't help. So what happens 3 posts later, someone defending Tony talking about that same 16 game stretch that everyone should remember and has talked about since it happened. Hence my reply.

I can't stand Tony's game. All body, no brain. Players like that get under my skin and I can't stand them. Nothing personal, I hate their game, not them. But to hear endlessly how great said player is going to be year after year after year and that he has untapped potential and if given minutes yadda, yadda, yadda. I got so aggravating it only made me hate the player more.

I don't dislike people that like Tony. I don't dislike Tony. I hate his game and I hate being reminded about his injury and that 16 game stretch and his supporters acting like he was the next coming of Michael Jordan and had to be given more and more chances because once he was he would return to Super-Tony of 2007. That's all.

And I KNOW I'm not the only person that feels that way.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:06:04 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
1. Sebastian Telfair - Reminders of not taking Brandon Roy in the draft.  Guns in the glove compartment
2. Marcus Banks - Highly touted for his speed, underachiever.
3. Sheed - Enough said
4. Brandon Hunter - Not because I dislike him, but because he reminded me how bad the team really was when I saw him in the starting lineup.
5. Scal - Total ripoff - terrible FA signing
6. Mikki Moore
7. Michael Olowokandi

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
1. pitino (not a player....but i dont care, lol)
2. blount
3. banks
4. TA
5. baker

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope

Here's my original post:

Antoine Walker - in the 2000's Antoine became the unlikable, three point chucking, never play in the post, don't rebound as much, can't jump anymore, I'm going to take any shot I want, whenever I want Antoine, that I despised. As much as I hated Pitino for not properly forcing Antoine to stay fit, for instilling bad habits in him and not leaving some veteran presence around him to guide him, it was Jim O'Brien that was the bane of Antoine's like-abilty factor here in Boston. As much as Pitino started a campfire regarding Toine's detestable on-court behavior, it was O'Brien who drove a petrol truck over the campfire and opened the hose to start the inferno.

Joe Forte - as soon as I found out he wore another teams jersey into the team locker room, that was it, hate him.

Tony Allen - hate his game, Hate it, hate it, hate it. And the Tony love of unlimited potential and future HOF type greatness that was promised and spewed forth on the pages of this website didn't help much either.

Notice what I started with: "hate his game, Hate it, hate it, hate it." and then only stated that the constant, endless Tony love didn't help. So what happens 3 posts later, someone defending Tony talking about that same 16 game stretch that everyone should remember and has talked about since it happened. Hence my reply.

I can't stand Tony's game. All body, no brain. Players like that get under my skin and I can't stand them. Nothing personal, I hate their game, not them. But to hear endlessly how great said player is going to be year after year after year and that he has untapped potential and if given minutes yadda, yadda, yadda. I got so aggravating it only made me hate the player more.

I don't dislike people that like Tony. I don't dislike Tony. I hate his game and I hate being reminded about his injury and that 16 game stretch and his supporters acting like he was the next coming of Michael Jordan and had to be given more and more chances because once he was he would return to Super-Tony of 2007. That's all.

I was only saying that during that stretch in 2007 he was the only spark on the team. When he was scoring 20 a game, it was exciting to watch the Celtics, even though they were playing terribly overall. Tony was only able to score that much because he was the focal point of the offense, and will never average that much in a season, but during that stretch he proved that he could play in the NBA. He proved then, that when given a chance, he can be productive on both ends of the floor.

I don't understand how you can hate his game so much... He hustles, he plays defense, and he likes to drive to the rim. So what if he has a lot of dumb plays, at least he tries and has shown he can play good defense against some of the top players in the league.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
1. Vin Baker
2. Blount
3. Marbury
4. McCarty
5. Dickau

I won't bother to include guys like Bruno Sundov who were basically irrelevant.

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
1. Vin Baker
2. Blount
3. Marbury
4. McCarty
5. Dickau

I won't bother to include guys like Bruno Sundov who were basically irrelevant.

Dickau? He played like 17 games.

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Jiri Welsh...15th man talent with a number 1 option mentality. Can't count the times he put his head down and just drove to the hoop only to turn the ball over. The only good thing I can say is that when Danny traded him, he got a 1st round pick.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Here's my original post:

No, you're certainly not. The never-ending excuses for a terribly limited player on this board are mind-numbing.

Well said.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I would have to say Walter McCarty. 

How dare you, sir.