Author Topic: Worst Celtics Draft Picks - nominations  (Read 9647 times)

Re: Worst Celtics Draft Picks - nominations
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 08:20:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't mind the Montross pick, especially since we were able to trade him (and the draft rights to Samaki Walker) for Antoine Walker + a 1st rounder (Ron Mercer).

The pick I hated was the Kedrick Brown selection.  First, we took him over a bunch of guys who became NBA contributors (Richard Jefferson, Troy Murphy, Zach Randolph, Brendan Haywood, Gerald Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur). 

Second, we had the option of rolling that pick over for up to two seasons.  In 2002, Denver ended up with the #5 pick.  Guys on the board:  Nene, Amare, Caron Butler.  If for whatever reason we'd passed on it then (which is doubtful), in 2003 Denver ended up with the #3 pick (Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, etc.)
I will try to never think of these things ever again. Darn the truth hurts

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 08:23:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I agree with Roy's perspective on Montross though.  The guy averaged 10/7 on pretty good shooting and played 78 games.  Then was traded a little after he got hurt. He was already slipping, but still.

It would be a little like if the Pats had traded Darius Butler in his 2nd year.  I don't see how that's such a bad pick unless there were great players picked after him or unless the expectations were really high

You can't always get John Havlichek with the 9th pick

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 08:51:20 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
As bad as the Kedrick Brown signing was, at least we got occasional production from him.  My pick goes to:

Joseph Forte - 21st pick who played a total of 39 minutes before being traded.  Zero production and a terrible attitude to boot.  The story of Jerome James attacking him in the shower while he was with Seattle is legendary.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As bad as the Kedrick Brown signing was, at least we got occasional production from him. 

You have a low standard for production, my friend. ;)  He has career Celtics averages of 3.1 points per game on 37.9% shooting. 

You're correct that Forte was even worse, though.  He played in 8 games with the Celts, and shot .083 from the field.  I just judge the Brown pick more harshly because a) there were a lot more good players on the board, and b) we could have had Amare if we'd rolled the pick over.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
There are many to choose from. Gotta be between Forte, Moiso, and Kedrick for me.

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
As bad as the Kedrick Brown signing was, at least we got occasional production from him. 

You have a low standard for production, my friend. ;)  He has career Celtics averages of 3.1 points per game on 37.9% shooting. 

You're correct that Forte was even worse, though.  He played in 8 games with the Celts, and shot .083 from the field.  I just judge the Brown pick more harshly because a) there were a lot more good players on the board, and b) we could have had Amare if we'd rolled the pick over.

Believe me, the term "production" was only relative to Forte, and was used very, very loosely.   :)

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 09:24:04 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I guess technically you could argue he was a good pick, but a tragic result or something.  I just still feel frustration about that. That whole thing was sorta traumatic for some people. Growing up I thought of cocaine in the same way that I now think of cyanide or possibly mustard gas.  Maybe that's a good thing and I should be thankful

The pick wasn't bad, it was awesome. the result was tragic.

I had the same reaction eja... I'm always shocked now to hear of people (i.e. contemporarires or friends of friends of friends) trying and/or using cocaine, since I always felt like one little bit would kill you.

I don't mind the Montross pick, especially since we were able to trade him (and the draft rights to Samaki Walker) for Antoine Walker + a 1st rounder (Ron Mercer).

The pick I hated was the Kedrick Brown selection.  First, we took him over a bunch of guys who became NBA contributors (Richard Jefferson, Troy Murphy, Zach Randolph, Brendan Haywood, Gerald Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur).  

Second, we had the option of rolling that pick over for up to two seasons.  In 2002, Denver ended up with the #5 pick.  Guys on the board:  Nene, Amare, Caron Butler.  If for whatever reason we'd passed on it then (which is doubtful), in 2003 Denver ended up with the #3 pick (Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, etc.)

I agree 1000% with this.

For me I thought the Montross pick was decent enough at the time *and* we turned it into something better.

But the Brown pick (a) never should have happened in 2001 since we had the option to keep rolling it over (b) didn't need 3 rookies in one class and (c) it was reasonable, given DEN's roster, to assume it'd continue to be a highish pick for the next 2 years.

Then to take a guy no one ever heard of made it so much worse.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Marcus Banks still kills me.  On its own its bad enough, but the fact that Danny/Wallace couldn't keep their mouth shut about him as a sleeper to the point that he shot up the draft, and they had to actually trade up to get him makes it even worse. 

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The pick I hated was the Kedrick Brown selection.  First, we took him over a bunch of guys who became NBA contributors (Richard Jefferson, Troy Murphy, Zach Randolph, Brendan Haywood, Gerald Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur).  

Second, we had the option of rolling that pick over for up to two seasons.  In 2002, Denver ended up with the #5 pick.  Guys on the board:  Nene, Amare, Caron Butler.  If for whatever reason we'd passed on it then (which is doubtful), in 2003 Denver ended up with the #3 pick (Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, etc.)

I agree 1000% with this.

For me I thought the Montross pick was decent enough at the time *and* we turned it into something better.

But the Brown pick (a) never should have happened in 2001 since we had the option to keep rolling it over (b) didn't need 3 rookies in one class and (c) it was reasonable, given DEN's roster, to assume it'd continue to be a highish pick for the next 2 years.

This.

Roy has provided as good an explanation as possible to truly rank this as the worst draft decision by the C's.  It has all the elements:
- high pick on a player that wasn't an established talent in college
- high pick on a player that no one ever heard of
- High pick that didn't need to be used and could have been held for later drafts with better talent and the reasonable expectation that the pick would be at least as high or better.  Consider one thing on this aspect, Lebron was a known talent even 2 years before being drafted and with the C's holding a potentially high pick for the draft he'd be in and then blowing that pick on a purely speculative player like Brown, is mind boggling idiocy. 

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I agree 1000% with this.

This.

Roy has provided as good an explanation as possible to truly rank this as the worst draft decision by the C's.  It has all the elements:
- High pick that didn't need to be used and could have been held for later drafts with better talent and the reasonable expectation that the pick would be at least as high or better.  Consider one thing on this aspect, Lebron was a known talent even 2 years before being drafted and with the C's holding a potentially high pick for the draft he'd be in and then blowing that pick on a purely speculative player like Brown, is mind boggling idiocy. 
I don't know if it's just that the truth hurts or the way you wrote that, but it made me feel sick. Therefore I am throwing my support behind this trade

On the other hand avoiding Lebron with a 50 ft pole years in advance shows a certain genius.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree 1000% with this.

This.

I don't know if it's just that the truth hurts or the way you wrote that, but it made me feel sick. Therefore I am throwing my support behind this trade

On the other hand avoiding Lebron with a 50 ft pole years in advance shows a certain genius.
Well Lebron has become the favorite whipping boy lately but if the C's had a chance at him, they should have taken it. 

Sorry to make you ill but when I saw how Roy laid it out, I almost barfed myself.