Author Topic: Most Memorable Game?  (Read 9427 times)

Most Memorable Game?
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »

Offline Scout200

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Of the several thousand NBA games played.. What’s the most memorable game that sticks out in your mind?

-Scout

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:24:23 PM by Roy H. »

Re: Most Memorable Game?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Unfortunately the most recent one  >:(

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:51:44 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Unfortunately the most recent one  >:(

With the new season starting and the Celts getting ready for another war...I had almost forgotten about it and you had to bring it back up  ::)

It would be ez to say a championship clincher.

But mine would have to be this one cuz @ that time we really sucked.  And this was so dam cool.

"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Funny thing about that clip too, if you listen to the crowd other then the 2008 finals home game clincher I dont think the crowd has ever been louder in our current building.

We really were "the jungle" back then our team was nothing like todays team on paper some of last generation bandwagoners (the fans that came once we got Ray and KG) weren't with us but we were scrappy as hell and the crowd was without a doubt the 6th man!

...almost brings a tear to my eye when I watch that clip.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
First time the Celtics beat the Spurs in some 12 or so years with P2, Jefferson and Rondo leading the way.

Game four of the 2008 Finals.. The comeback.

And while not an NBA game, I still remember almost the entire second half of Texas at Oklahoma State, Kevin Durant's freshman year. Both KD and Marcus Dove dropped 37 a piece, clutch shot after clutch shot.. Then someone on OSU hit that ridiculous almost half-court turn around one handed shot at the buzzer... Craziness. Easily the most exciting college games I've seen personally and one of my favorite overall games.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
GREAT question...  Wow, I actually sat back and gave this some thought because there are many great games to consider...

But I think I would say the 1992 game against the Portland Trailblazers that went into double-overtime.  I can still picture Larry throwing up that three-pointer in which they blew it up a thousand times the size to see if he stepped on the line.  I recall he wasn't even supposed to play that game but had one of those amazing triple-doubles in which his game was on another level...

There are many others, but I'd have to go with that one...

Boxscore:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199203150BOS.html
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
got five for you ........

1969 finals vs lakers game 7 - pure Boston Celtics greatness

1974 eastern finals vs knicks game 5 - revenge for 1973

1976 finals vs suns game 5 - still the greatest game ever

1984 finals vs lakers game 4 - second greatest game ever

2008 finals vs lakers game 4 - finally revenge for 1987

my personal choice for the greatest ?  1969 game 7 - i was just an 11 year old kid, but i already loved the celtics and there was something so satisfying about being the old champions that year and beating the stacked lakers in los angeles for the title.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ray Allen's game winner against Charlotte where Pierce took the inbounds pass away.

Wasn't even an important game, just really enjoyed that win.

Baby's jumper in 2009 against Orlando?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
GREAT question...  Wow, I actually sat back and gave this some thought because there are many great games to consider...

But I think I would say the 1992 game against the Portland Trailblazers that went into double-overtime.  I can still picture Larry throwing up that three-pointer in which they blew it up a thousand times the size to see if he stepped on the line.  I recall he wasn't even supposed to play that game but had one of those amazing triple-doubles in which his game was on another level...

There are many others, but I'd have to go with that one...

Boxscore:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199203150BOS.html

Larry's last great game.

I remember I was working at a country club in Florida.  I kept glancing over at the TV in the bar, and finally just said the heck with it "fire me" but I'm not missing this.  My instincts were telling me this is the last chance to see Larry play at that level.

For me, Game 7 in 1984 is the most memorable.  Not necessarily the greatest game, but it was such an intense series, and such a palpable sense of relief and joy at finishing off the Lakers.  The sight of the crowd ready to burst onto the Garden court in the waning seconds.  The old Garden sweatbox at its finest.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 08:37:09 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Game 3 aginst the Nets in 2002 was the first to come to mind.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »

Offline wazutruth20

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Nate and Shaq in a stare-down. HAHA
I was just about to say the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals comeback...

But my absolute favorite had to be game 6 in the 2008 Finals when Boston absolutely destroyed LA.

I know it didnt have any last-second shots or any heroics, but It was so special to me for so many reasons.

1. It was the first time in my life when I got to see my all-time favorite team raise the Larry O'Brien trophy
2. They beat the Lakers!!!! Ever since I started watching basketball, I hated the Lakers with a burning passion, so seeing the team crushed, along with all the annoying Laker fans that taunted me throughout the post-season put an even bigger smile on my face.

But another great one was last season against Portland when Ray hit a three with a couple seconds left in overtime. Me and 15 of my friends (all Blazer fans) watched it together and I went crazy after the C's won.

Quite frankly, there are so many great games that I can go on-and-on about.

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:26 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
For me personally, either the 07-08 season opener or Game 6 of the 2008 Finals.  I was at both games - beating the Wizards by 20 after Gilbert had guaranteed a win was satisfying, and the Finals clincher needs no explanation. 

I had gone to Celtics games as a kid, about 5 or 6 years old... but I really consider that season opener my first game.  It was my first game where I cared about what was happening on the court, rather than just being loud with the crowd.  And it was also the game that made me fall in love with the sport as a whole - ever since that game, I've watched basketball at every opportunity.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »

Offline captaintruth34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I have two most memorable games, both of em are playoff games.

Game 3 of the 2002 ECFs. That game singlehandedly turned me into a Celtic fan for life and made Paul Pierce my favorite player. I truly thought we were fated for the Finals after that game but we all know the result of the series.

And the Pierce and LeBron duel in Game 7 of '08 Championship run. I'll never forget the emotions running through me when I watched PP and LBJ just hit shot after shot. And when Pierce sealed the win with that dive to the floor on the jumpball and the "Red" freethrows. Classic.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:11 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
There've been so very many.  I guess I'd have to choose game 7 of the ECF in 81.  C's come back from 3 games to 1 down against the hated Sixers to win it in seven.  Larry scored the game winner with a bank shot from the left side. 

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 68
There's a regular season game that's stuck with me for the last few years.  It was KG's HUGE game in 07-08 against Houston in Boston.   He took OVER down the stretch against Yao.  Amazing.  Paul (literally) and the rest of the team (figuratively) jumped on his back.