Author Topic: RJ Hamilton, huh?  (Read 4439 times)

Re: RJ Hamilton, huh?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZabR0cWIUg

Ja Morant vs Hampton  - exhibition matchup last year.   Hampton doesn't play alot of mins + exhibition, but you can see how poor his closeout defense is.   Morant looks like another level talent in comparison

Hampton had one nice layup finish over two guys. But on another occasion, tried it again and got his shot blocked at the rim

You can see how he needs to get much stronger. But he was only 18 at the time so you'd expect that.

Re: RJ Hamilton, huh?
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Everything I've read suggest Hampton is a high ceiling low floor type of prospect.  In other words, high bust potential.  Hopefully we pass on this kid.
High boom potential too. Number 14 is always going to be a bit of a crapshoot, so I don't mind taking riskier prospects for the chance of one hitting spectacularly.

I don't think that we'll have to worry about taking another Kelly Olynyk again (perfectly fine player, but had a very limited ceiling). There are too many guards at this spot who could blow up that Danny will have a hard time passing on - Hampton being one of them. It sure would be nice to draft another future all-star caliber player to go with Jaylen and Jayson. I guess the book hasn't yet been written on Langford and TL.
Obviously it depends on who is still on the board but I’m not buying the hype.  And, I’m certainly not buying the idea and he can all of a sudden shoot without proof in games. 

I’m not normally a draft for need kind of guy but man it would be nice to get a dead eye shooter or back up combo guard with this pick.

Like I said, Hampton is just one of those players. I would be surprised if we stay at 14 and don't select one of Hampton, Terry, or Lewis Jr.
I’ll give you credit in that all three of those players should still be on the board when we pick.  Other possibilities I would consider are Bey and Nesmith, though both of these guys could be gone.  Out of those you mentioned I would really love for Terry to be as good as some think.  He’s the combo guard I would love to have and a great shooter.

If I were trying to hit a home run, I wouldn’t look at Hampton.  I’d be looking at Cole Anthony.  And I don’t want any part of Lewis either.