Author Topic: ESPN asking about idea of trading Tatum and Brown for Kawhi Leonard  (Read 14868 times)

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
You've got to be kidding me!!!! I can see them discussing ONE of them for Kawhi and realize this might even be a valid discussion worth having, but BOTH?! They've lost their mind. We're talking about two young players who are on the heels of Kawhi and who aren't hurt, aren't giving up on their team when things aren't the way they want them. Who don't have family giving them bad advice and causing them to make bad decisions. I don't trade EITHER one of them straight up for Leonard right now. I sure hope Danny sees this core of Irving, Hayward, Tatum, and Brown as the future of Celtics bball and that we can contend for years and pick up a couple championships. This move would put us as short term contenders only and mortgage the future.

Anyone out there would do this?!

Re: ESPN asking about idea of trading Tatum and Brown for Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, I can stomach talking about putting together a package centered around one of them, but I would not trade both.

Not for a guy who just basically missed the whole season with a weird injury and who may not re-sign here after a year or two.

The Celts, and this is really important to remember, can't really afford to pay Kawhi and Kyrie and Gordon and still have a decent roster.  That's just not feasible.

Kyrie - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford ... let's just see what that group can do.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Reminds me of Bulls fans wanting two Brooklyn picks for Butler

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
trading both of them is a non-starter, no way we do that. lol

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Not for a guy who just basically missed the whole season with a weird injury and who may not re-sign here after a year or two.

I agree, the injury itself and the drama surrounding his coming back, not coming back gives me a lot of pause.  Has the injury healed / is he healthy right now?  If so, why isn't he back with the team?  A lot of read between the lines comments from  pop and the players.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess if this is the asking price, then those worried about Philly trading Saric and Fultz for him need not be worried anymore.

The prospect of trading for Kawhi is certainly intriguing, but I hate the idea of trading either of our top two young players for him. Hayward would be the obvious choice in terms of a good match for both teams, but that wouldn't happen in real life. If Scary Terry keeps up his performance, would Kyrie be available?

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Right now, Brown + Tatum probably impact games more than just Kawhi. It’s debatable, at the very least.

Going forward, that gap should increase greatly.

I’d trade one of them. I wouldn’t include the other or one of our prime picks.

Tatum/Brown + Rozier + Morris + Yabu. That’s a ton of value for the Spurs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Unfortunately the narrative around the Spurs has been internal development for 20 years.

The narrative around the Celtics has been trades for the last 12.

That narrative is shifting, and its the best path to a dynasty.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Is the trade just Brown and Tatum and filler such that Boston keeps all prime draft picks, Morris, and Rozier (so Brown, Tatum, Yabu, Nader, and Semi)?  If so, I think that might be worth considering as a team of Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Morris, and Horford with Rozier, Smart, Theis, Baynes and/or Monroe on the bench is a clear title contender and the easy favorite in the East.  The team then still has the Sacto and Memphis picks to provide potential high end young talent.  That of course assumes both that Leonard is healthy and would re-sign.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Is marijuana legal in Connecticut now, too?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Boston does not need Kawhi

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 05:46:14 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Is the trade just Brown and Tatum and filler such that Boston keeps all prime draft picks, Morris, and Rozier (so Brown, Tatum, Yabu, Nader, and Semi)?  If so, I think that might be worth considering as a team of Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Morris, and Horford with Rozier, Smart, Theis, Baynes and/or Monroe on the bench is a clear title contender and the easy favorite in the East.  The team then still has the Sacto and Memphis picks to provide potential high end young talent.  That of course assumes both that Leonard is healthy and would re-sign.

Thanks for a rational post.  While I would be loathe to give up either Jay, the key is identifying the outcome. In this case C’s get a top 5 player to play alongside KI, GH, and AH — all in their primes. With Terry, Smart, Morris  and Moose/Baynes the C’s contend immediately.   

Imagine if the C’s had rookie JT alongside Al Jefferson in 2007 — do you trade JT and Al for KG?  You may not, but you could sure see the justification for doing it.   Kawhi is 5 years younger than KG was in 2007.  If KL is healthy, the idea of trading the Jays for him is not absurd. I wouldn’t like it because I want to see them develop here, but it’s a legit thought.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 06:00:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
ESPN = Opinionated loudmouths and rumors.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Thanks for a rational post.  While I would be loathe to give up either Jay, the key is identifying the outcome. In this case C’s get a top 5 player to play alongside KI, GH, and AH — all in their primes. With Terry, Smart, Morris  and Moose/Baynes the C’s contend immediately.   

Imagine if the C’s had rookie JT alongside Al Jefferson in 2007 — do you trade JT and Al for KG?  You may not, but you could sure see the justification for doing it.   Kawhi is 5 years younger than KG was in 2007.  If KL is healthy, the idea of trading the Jays for him is not absurd. I wouldn’t like it because I want to see them develop here, but it’s a legit thought.

Except that id rather have Brown or Tatum than Morris and Rozier in vacuum and thats before you consider that Rozier or Morris will be on one year deals and unlikely to be back. Tatum and Brown is too much value for injure one year dual KL. And to answer your question if you had Tatum and Jefferson u absolutely dont trade both for KG, because as history showed us you only needed one.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Except that id rather have Brown or Tatum than Morris and Rozier in vacuum and thats before you consider that Rozier or Morris will be on one year deals and unlikely to be back. Tatum and Brown is too much value for injure one year dual KL. And to answer your question if you had Tatum and Jefferson u absolutely dont trade both for KG, because as history showed us you only needed one.

I agree. The goal is multiple years of contention; keeping one of Brown/Tatum is non-negotiable.

And really, why should we have to add a prime draft pick?  What team is beating Tatum + Rozier + Morris, for instance?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes