Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million/3yr  (Read 8044 times)

Re: Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million/3yr
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
And on a side note, who exactly would start a rumor like this?  I can't see why the Lakers would want to let this out.   I am sure the GSW would not.

Maybe, just maybe it is Ezeli's people who started this?

Danny started it.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I have to believe that the size of that offer is tied to Ezeli's RFA status.

A team has to come over the top to make GSW think twice about matching. Front office brinksmanship.

Lakers could also make a run at Mahinmi, who's a UFA.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

A team has to come over the top to make GSW think twice about matching. Front office brinksmanship.

Who the Warriors can just try to sign if the can't retain Festus Ezeli?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Who the Warriors can just try to sign if the can't retain Festus Ezeli?

Not sure about that, because they need to determine Harrison Barnes' status. He might eat up all available cap room for them (if they have any).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's a good player, he can be a 5th starter in a title team, and he may be able to be a defensive anchor. Still, that's a lot of scratch, especially with his injury track record.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That seems like crazy money for a (prime) Kendrick Perkins level player.

Eh, I just think it sounds weird with the new cap, but doesn't seem that out of line when you think about it.

Prime Perk signed for $36m/4 for $9m per year with a $58m cap, so also about 15% of the cap.

With this deal, Ezeli would be getting $16.7 per with an expected $89m cap in '17 (so 18%-19% of the cap) and $108m cap in '18 (about 15% of the cap).

Back in 2011 when Perk signed (which I believe was considered a fair deal at the time), guys like Chandler, Dalembert, Kaman, Camby, Emeka Okafor, Nene, Eddy Curry, Bogut were all getting $11m+ (19%-22% of the cap).  Okur and Biedrins were getting $9m+ (15%-16% of cap).  Mark Blount, Pryzbilla, Gadzuric, Haywood, Mohammed were all getting around  $7m-$8m (12%-14% of the cap).

This deal doesn't seem that out of line with the premium that apparently still gets put on Centers, despite the current small ball Steph Curry craze.  Not the bargain fans hope for, but probably fair market value.

TP. That makes me feel better about it.

These new salary / cap figures are going to take a lot of getting used to.

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 03:59:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Foolish

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Foolish
if it is, i hope they do it. anything that makes the lakers worse is a good thing.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There's almost no way the Warriors can keep both Ezeli and Barnes.  Resigning those two alone will likely push them into the luxury tax, and they also may want to pay to keep Speights and/or Barbosa around.  Keeping most of their team in tact will push the payroll to the $125-130 million range.  A lot of that money will still be committed next season when Curry gets a $20 million raise himself.

Accordingly, if teams want one of Barnes or Ezeli, it really makes sense to throw a big offer at them if you can afford it.  The Warriors will have real trouble matching it, so you can steal a restricted free agent.  And obviously Barnes is gone if the Warriors finagle Durant onto their roster, both due to cap reasons and roster construction reasons.

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As far as restricted free agents go, he should command less money than Drummond but more than Sullinger.  Since he is a big man who projects as a rim protector (possibly an elite rim protector) capable of averaging a double-double as a starter, I think he probably gets a bigger offer sheet than Evan Fournier or Bradley Beal.

He could be worth a huge contract in the right system.  Honestly, giving Ezeli 75% of the max for three years sounds better than maxing Whiteside for four years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
As far as restricted free agents go, he should command less money than Drummond but more than Sullinger.  Since he is a big man who projects as a rim protector (possibly an elite rim protector) capable of averaging a double-double as a starter, I think he probably gets a bigger offer sheet than Evan Fournier or Bradley Beal.

He could be worth a huge contract in the right system.  Honestly, giving Ezeli 75% of the max for three years sounds better than maxing Whiteside for four years.

I'm not saying Ezeli should or will get the max, but I'm certain if the max didn't exist Drummond would exceed that salary next season.  On the not-impossible chance that Ezeli gets the max, same as Drummond, it may be less that Ezeli is overpaid and more than Drummond is underpaid.

I know that's not explicitly what you're saying, but if Ezeli gets the max, I'm going to be annoyed when people say that he should get less than Drummond.  This is true, but it's because Drummond would command more but for the maximum.

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm not saying Ezeli should or will get the max, but I'm certain if the max didn't exist Drummond would exceed that salary next season.  On the not-impossible chance that Ezeli gets the max, same as Drummond, it may be less that Ezeli is overpaid and more than Drummond is underpaid.

I know that's not explicitly what you're saying, but if Ezeli gets the max, I'm going to be annoyed when people say that he should get less than Drummond.  This is true, but it's because Drummond would command more but for the maximum.

I get your point, but if Ezeli gets the max, he'll be wildly overpaid. He's played a total of 92 games (20 starts) since the 2013 season. Just from a risk perspective, giving a guy with that track record a $100 million contract is overpaying him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 05:13:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I get you point, but if Ezeli gets the max, he'll be wildly overpaid. He's played a total of 92 games since the 2013 season.

That's one way to look at it.  But if you include playoff games, you could also say he's played 132 games since the start of the 2014 season (pending about 14 more playoff games this year).

That's not to say his health isn't a risk -- he's had injuries, as do most bigs, and that's a risk for a player who relies a lot on athleticism.  Still, is he much riskier than Whiteside?  It's not clear.  Centers are rare, and a lot of teams, Celtics included, would like even one.

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 05:36:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
A related question:

Suppose the Celtics determine on July 2nd that they could have either Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko for $17 million next season, or Festus Ezeli and Harrison Barnes for $38 million (and signed to 4-year deals).  Are those two collectively an upgrade, and worth it given the longer deals and relative youth (3 and 5 years younger, and more on the same development curve with the rest of the Celtics)?  The C's would still be $12-15 million under the cap in such a scenario.

Furthermore, would acquiring Johnson and Jerebko be interesting to the Warriors, in a universe where Durant stays in OKC? The major savings would make it simpler to keep Speights and Barbosa, as well as an interesting player like Ian Clark.  It also wouldn't give them salary obligations in summer 2017, when Curry, Iggy, and Bogut are all free agents.

In other words, if the Celtics and the Warriors talked about a sign-and-trade of Barnes and Ezeli for Johnson and Jerebko, does it make sense for one, both, or neither of the teams?

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Wow this is going to be a horrible deal.  I hope the Lakers overpay for Ezeli!

Put it this way, I don't think he's on the level of Marcin Gortat who blossomed into a very good player after leaving his first team, ie ORL->PHX.