Author Topic: Idea to get Miami a good PG and keep there mid level for 2011  (Read 8194 times)

Re: Idea to get Miami a good PG and keep there mid level for 2011
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd estimate it would take something in the $10 million range to compete with tax-free Florida money?  That means no max free agents for us, folks, and we're riding Rondo, Pierce, and Perk
Your estimates are way off. Players are taxed based on each state the play in so they pay income taxes for all the different states they actually play games. That reduces the tax difference substantially.

Here's an article on it, you're off by factor of maybe 10.
http://heathoops.net/2010/06/the-taxing-impact-of-state-taxes/

Their estimate is about 3% more in earnings, that can add up to a lot of money but MLE is around 6 million, so that's only 180k.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »

Offline clawlin

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
My guess is if anything other than the Celtics, Perk goes to the Jazz.

The Jazz need a center with Okur plagued by injuries and Fesenko not ready for a starting role, and the defensive minded Perk fits in Sloan's system well.

I'd hate to see him go, I love Perk, but Id rather him go to the Jazz than the Heat.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
If the C's get any inclination that Perk is going to leave they better trade him for something.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
My guess is if anything other than the Celtics, Perk goes to the Jazz.

The Jazz need a center with Okur plagued by injuries and Fesenko not ready for a starting role, and the defensive minded Perk fits in Sloan's system well.

I'd hate to see him go, I love Perk, but Id rather him go to the Jazz than the Heat.
Perkins would be an excellent addition for the Jazz, he'd mesh with Milsap/Jefferson/etc.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
let me preface this buy saying im not sure how this type of deal works.

Miami trades whatever draft picks they are still able to trade and the max cash amount to Minnesota for the rights to Ricky Rubio. again i dont know how salary works when trading for the rights to a player but Miami could add in Arroyo/House/Stackhouse/J.Jones if needed.

Miami probably has to wait until the off season to sign Rubio(again not sure on that) but they get a very good young PG and still have the full mid level to go after a C.

so is this possible?

Please explain why you want to fix the Miami Heat?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

"Please explain why you want to fix the Miami Heat?"

Thank you Bankshot--tommy point

Why is fixing the south beach slugs a topic on CelticsBlog?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Miami trades whatever draft picks they are still able to trade and the max cash amount to Minnesota for the rights to Ricky Rubio. again i dont know how salary works when trading for the rights to a player but Miami could add in Arroyo/House/Stackhouse/J.Jones if needed.

Miami probably has to wait until the off season to sign Rubio(again not sure on that) but they get a very good young PG and still have the full mid level to go after a C.

so is this possible?

Maybe to help make it actual competition between them and the C's.  The East is starting to resemble the West with regards to competitors for LA and Boston.

It's nearly Thanksgiving as well.  

TP for the OP for thinking of others during this festive time of year.

That's all I've got..

Next up how can we help keep Kobe from shooting 6-24 in home close out game?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

so is this possible?

Because there is no reason to fix the Celtics right now and the trade idea fans needs something to think about. 

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

so is this possible?

Red is turning over in his grave --remember Red always chastised Celtics for helping up a player from the other team!
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

so is this possible?

Why on earth would the T-Waolves make such a deal?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

so is this possible?

Why on earth would the T-Waolves make such a deal?

Because the have a terrible GM who makes questionable trades, FA signings and drafts choices. 

I say this one is unlikely, but I have no doubt, if the GM decides to trade Rubio, it will be a a terrible deal like this. 

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
If I'm not mistaken, Miami gave up their first round picks in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015 to get LBJ and Bosh. Minny can surely get a better deal than a 2016 1st round pick and a pity fill-in of Arroyo/House/Chalmers/Stackhouse/Jones for Rubio's rights.

With that said, I do think Minny will deal Rubio's rights contrary to what they claim if they get a tempting package. But I don't see a gift-deal being done with the Heat. I think the Heat are gonna target a center this offseason, anyway. If they have an interior defensive presence, that can help out with PG penetration and protect the rim.

Here's a frightening thought - the Heat offer their MLE to Perk this offseason and he accepts. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

One thing will nix that. Celtics retain his bird rights (assuming CBA rules stay intact obviously) and can offer him more than the MLE because of it. I don't think Wyc will have any problem tossing an extra mil or two Perks way (whether or not he's worth it) to stop Miami from getting him. And I also believe Perk would take equal money from Boston as opposed to going to Miami, so they might not even have to offer more than MLE.

Only way Perk leaves as far as I can see, is if another team out there with cap room throws out an offer that just blows him away. We're talking 10mil, and I just don't see that happening.