Author Topic: Danny Ainge: “Quit being sensitive”  (Read 5938 times)

Re: Danny Ainge: “Quit being sensitive”
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Not to harp on this but I keep thinking about it and it's halftime so...

How is "this guy got under my skin so I'm gonna make veiled gripes about him to the press" a more 'sensitive' reaction than "this guy got under my skin so I'm going to literally try to strangle him"? It just feels like the guys who got upset and started swinging were being waaaaaaay more sensitive than the guys who got upset and started taking vague verbal shots in interviews.

wait, who strangled who and when?

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

How is "this guy got under my skin so I'm gonna make veiled gripes about him to the press" a more 'sensitive' reaction than "this guy got under my skin so I'm going to literally try to strangle him"? It just feels like the guys who got upset and started swinging were being waaaaaaay more sensitive than the guys who got upset and started taking vague verbal shots in interviews.

Dr J tried to choke Larry Bird because Bird was dominating him and kept telling him to retire. There's a pic of it if you scroll up a bit.

...I suppose Sprewell works too though.

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Dr J tried to choke Larry Bird because Bird was dominating him and kept telling him to retire. There's a pic of it if you scroll up a bit.

Okay I thought there was an incident in today's team.

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Kyrie is clearly proving all the doubters (even on here) wrong. Nice to see!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 09:32:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

No people are contrasting "the good old days" with today's players who "are too sensitive", but the proof is somehow that the old school guys would just whale on each other when they got upset. I'm saying that seems like a much more sensitive reaction than what the modern players do.

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

No people are contrasting "the good old days" with today's players who "are too sensitive", but the proof is somehow that the old school guys would just whale on each other when they got upset. I'm saying that seems like a much more sensitive reaction than what the modern players do.

Completely agree.

Also, I more think the people who are too sensitive are the fans, not the players.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:09:19 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
yes he is right .....everybody gets butt hurt over every drop of spilled milk .

Or the media is all over every tiny little disagreement cos they gotta write something that nobody has picked up on.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is an interesting take, suggesting that whooping up on someone who you have perceived to have been offended by is more 'sensitive' than simply crying about it to others.

Seems to me both are reactions rooted in some form of 'sensitivity'.  But if I had to choose a more effective option, yeah, I'm beating my enemy over the head with a stick rather than crying to my mom about it.

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Or the media is all over every tiny little disagreement cos they gotta write something that nobody has picked up on.

This. And this is what Ainge is basically saying (wont be the first time he made this point as well)

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

This is an interesting take, suggesting that whooping up on someone who you have perceived to have been offended by is more 'sensitive' than simply crying about it to others.

Seems to me both are reactions rooted in some form of 'sensitivity'.  But if I had to choose a more effective option, yeah, I'm beating my enemy over the head with a stick rather than crying to my mom about it.

But those aren't the 2 responses that are being discussed. No player has cried to their mother over anything.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2019, 12:57:49 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

But those aren't the 2 responses that are being discussed. No player has cried to their mother over anything.

That we know of  ;D

Who knows if someone has said "Mommy, KG was mean to me"

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2019, 06:12:49 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I’m offended for some reason ;D

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2019, 06:37:59 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Larry Bird was often a jerk with teammates, and had that famous postgame statement after the blowout loss to the Lakers in the finals: “we played like a bunch of women tonight “. The team responded with McHale's famous clothesline of Rambis in a win. In today’s media, and PC environment, Bird would have gotten crucified for that statement.

KG was also a bully, and made Glen Davis cry during a game.

Michael Jordan was a legendary bully in practice, tearing weaker teammates to pieces. The only one who reportedly ever stood up to him was Robert Parish late in his career. The Chief threatened to karate chop Jordan when MJ started bullying him in practice, and Jordan backed down because he knew Parish could wup his ass.

Great players demand excellence from their teammates, and most often they don’t do it kindly
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:06:14 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2019, 06:39:50 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

This. And this is what Ainge is basically saying (wont be the first time he made this point as well)

Yeah this was not Ainge critiquing the players, it was Ainge taking shots at the media/fans.

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2019, 08:08:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Larry Bird was often a jerk with teammates, and had that famous postgame statement after the blowout loss to the Lakers in the finals: “we played like a bunch of women tonight “. The team responded with McHale's famous clothesline of Rambis in a win. In today’s media, and PC environment, Bird would have gotten crucified for that statement.

KG was also a bully, and made Glen Davis cry during a game.

Michael Jordan was a legendary bully in practice, tearing weaker teammates to pieces. The only one who reportedly ever stood up to him was Robert Parish late in his career. The Chief threatened to karate chop Jordan when MJ started bullying him in practice, and Jordan backed down because he knew Parish could wup his ass.

Great players demand excellence from their teammates, and most often they don’t do it kindly
Jordan knew not to mess with Bill Cartwright also.  Cartwright gave it back to him once and Jordan never messed with him again.