Author Topic: Dennis Rodman  (Read 4492 times)

Re: Dennis Rodman
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 09:11:24 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
rodman was awesome though
possibly most unique nba player in last 30-40 years
i can't think of anyone who really compares
lot of guys can be hustlers and rebound/ d etc, but to make it such a huge thing as he did, without ever seeking to score, and combine that w the crazy personality/ media presence.  i can't think of anyone else quite like him which is saying something.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 01:52:55 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
rodman was awesome though
possibly most unique nba player in last 30-40 years
i can't think of anyone who really compares
lot of guys can be hustlers and rebound/ d etc, but to make it such a huge thing as he did, without ever seeking to score, and combine that w the crazy personality/ media presence.  i can't think of anyone else quite like him which is saying something.

Ben Wallace ?

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 02:38:30 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Yeah similar game. And for a brief time was well known. But he didn’t translate the work horse game into the fashionable celebrity the way Rodman did. To me, that was impressive how Rodman translated his non scoring role into mainstream celebrity.

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 04:32:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Draymond Green is the closest to Rodman.

- Tough as nails
- Generational defenders, extremely versatile. Could guard 5 positions
- Exceptional instincts
- Strong personalities
- Poor scorers and shooters
- Good passers
- Benefited from playing with the most influential basketball players of their time as a 3rd wheels
- Would be much less rated if they played on mediocre teams, where their flaws would become more evident.

Fun factor? I enjoyed Rodman more.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 07:19:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

- Tough as nails
- Exceptional instincts
- Strong personalities
- Good passers
- Benefited from playing with the most influential basketball players of their time as a 3rd wheels
- Would be much less rated if they played on mediocre teams, where their flaws would become more evident.

I'm not too sure about the last point for Rodman. He looked no worse on the sub-.500 Pistons team, where he made the All-Defensive First Team and was the rebounding champ yet again. I think Green is more ineffective on worse teams as his passing suffers, because he is more pressured when he isn't surrounded by three of the best shooters ever.

I also think the nature of Rodman's personality would have led to him being intriguing regardless of what calibre team he played for
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

- Tough as nails
- Exceptional instincts
- Strong personalities
- Good passers

I'm not too sure about the last point for Rodman. He looked no worse on the sub-.500 Pistons team, where he made the All-Defensive First Team and was the rebounding champ yet again. I think Green is more ineffective on worse teams as his passing suffers, because he is more pressured when he isn't surrounded by three of the best shooters ever.

I also think the nature of Rodman's personality would have led to him being intriguing regardless of what calibre team he played for
1) Rodman was still a good and productive player on mediocre Detroit teams, but his impact was diminished as he couldn't score, shoot from outside, or handle the ball. A guy like Derozan would help Detroit more ATT, even though DD is less valuable on better teams that Rodman was.
2) Green would still be a great defender and passer on a different team. Just not a historic player he became in GSW due to their success. His skill set is less valuable for poor/mediocre teams.
3) I don't think we would ever see that Rodman if he didn't find a father figure in Daly and structure within that veteran team. I could have also envisioned his career go like this; gets drafted by a team like Utah, they need scorers, in a few years he goes to another team via trade, injury happens...and in few years he is out of the league. Rodman became Rodman in the 2nd part of his career after the Daly, money, and success came.

We are talking about guys who were on the teams that perfectly fitted their strengths and weaknesses.
They got their chances and made the most of them.

Guys like Grant Hill, Brandon Roy and Penny (IMO better players) didn't.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:28:23 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."