Author Topic: What does our roster look like next year?  (Read 27917 times)

Re: What does our roster look like next year?
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2020, 07:56:08 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We still need a shooting guard off the bench (...)
We got Romeo. Would love us to give him extended minutes off the bench at the SG-SF positions. At the very least, he can impact games via his defense. Not to mention, Haliburton can play off the ball as well, cause he's a good 3pt shooter.

(...) and a big to grab rebounds and defend the paint- to counter the likes of Giannis, Davis, Embiid, Ibaka/Pascal in the postseason.
Turner would be the perfect fit in CBS's system.
- Can defend the Pick & Roll.
- Can switch on guards.
- Can protect the rim (led the league in blocks in 2019).
- Can shoot the 3.
- He's happy to play off the ball. Wouldn't be taking shots away from Kemba-Brown-Hayward-Tatum.

Not the best rebounder in the world, but I bet his numbers would go up if he weren't playing alongside a dominant rebounder in Sabonis.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:06:23 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2020, 06:30:22 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
We still need a shooting guard off the bench (...)
We got Romeo. Would love us to give him extended minutes off the bench at the SG-SF positions. At the very least, he can impact games via his defense.

Couldn’t agree more. You could see he had the tools to defend - length, burst, balance, laterals - but I for one didn’t ever think he’d be up to speed so early, especially with all the breakdowns getting it going. He’s just got a real good feel for the game. Needs lower body strength...

Plenty to be encouraged about on offense, too; did a good job of getting to the line, wasn’t at all bad valuing the ball, especially for a rookie.

(...) and a big to grab rebounds and defend the paint- to counter the likes of Giannis, Davis, Embiid, Ibaka/Pascal in the postseason.
Turner would be the perfect fit in CBS's system.
- Can defend the Pick & Roll.
- Can switch on guards.
- Can protect the rim (led the league in blocks in 2019).
- Can shoot the 3.
- He's happy to play off the ball. Wouldn't be taking shots away from Kemba-Brown-Hayward-Tatum.

Not the best rebounder in the world, but I bet his numbers would go up if he weren't playing alongside a dominant rebounder in Sabonis.

I’m positive about Myles Turner. I would not trade Marcus Smart for him, though. Also, at the moment I’d claim that Daniel Theis is substantially better - having said which he’s four years older with suspect knees.

Could be that, after Tatum, Theis benefited the most from replacing Kyrie with Kemba; suddenly everybody’s playing pick and roll. His biggest strength might be the chess match of freeing scorers with a sequence of screens.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:23:33 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Poirier, Green, Ojeleye, and Wanamaker are probably all gone.

Poirier has been fourth string, though he’s getting 2.6M in guaranteed money next year. It’s a mess, but a minor one. Probably You’re right, I suspect.

Why you think Ojeleye is gone is not clear, and surprising. He’s a rotation player on a home court playoff team right now, switchable, excellent team defender and a good outside shooter - and Boston has a team option for only 1.75M. I think that you’re probably wrong about him.

I am less sure about Wanamaker, but he’s got a lot to recommend him, and he’s playing for the minimum. Good three-point shooter and finisher, gets to the line a lot, and led the league in free-throw percentage. Upped his game in the playoffs last year.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Why do so many see Kanter as expendable ? He helped make the Celtics a decent rebounding team for the first time in the Stevens era. Any player that can hurt the opponent with offensive rebounds like he does is important. Plus, he seems to love playing here and is a good teammate.

Also, what is the status of Rob Williams hip ? Is he fully healthy at this point ? Is this issue going to be a recurring problem ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
With no trades:

1st                     2nd                         3rd
PG:  Kemba        PG:  Wanamaker      PG: Rookie
SG:  Brown         SG:  Smart              SG: Edwards
SF:  Hayward      SF:  Langford           SF: Rookie
PF:  Tatum         PF: G. Williams         PF:  Rookie
C:    Theis           C:  R. Williams         C:  Kanter
Two-way:
2 of Rookie, Waters, Tacko

We have to eat some salary from Poirier, but we probably stretch it like Demetrius Jackson who were paying like 90k through 2023-24.   

With trades:

1st                     2nd                         3rd
PG:  Kemba        PG:  Wanamaker      PG:  ?
SG:  Brown         SG:  Smart              SG: ?
SF:  Hayward      SF:  Langford           SF: ?
PF:  Tatum         PF:   ?                      PF: ?
C:    Theis           C:   ?                      C:  Kanter
Two-way:
?, ?

Kanter and Hayward both opt in.   I say we bring Wanamaker back, he is solid in his role.   Ojeleye fills the same role as G. Williams, only Williams does it better.   Whatever trades we can make I don't think brings back a guy to start over Theis, at least week one.

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2020, 10:19:27 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Why do so many see Kanter as expendable ? He helped make the Celtics a decent rebounding team for the first time in the Stevens era. Any player that can hurt the opponent with offensive rebounds like he does is important. Plus, he seems to love playing here and is a good teammate.

Also, what is the status of Rob Williams hip ? Is he fully healthy at this point ? Is this issue going to be a recurring problem ?
The rebounding part isn't really true. In 2018, we rank 8th in rebounds (6th in D. Rebounds, which is the stat that really matters).
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why you think Ojeleye is gone is not clear, and surprising. He’s a rotation player on a home court playoff team right now, switchable, excellent team defender and a good outside shooter - and Boston has a team option for only 1.75M. I think that you’re probably wrong about him.

Out of all qualified players in the NBA, Semi ranks second to last in scoring per minute.  His defense is perhaps slightly above-average, but his offense is putrid.  He might be the worst rotation player in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2020, 02:54:10 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
There's a new trade suggestion going on around the webs...

Ben Simmons, Josh Richardson and Mike Scott for Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward, a few picks

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2020, 04:12:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Ben Simmons, Josh Richardson and Mike Scott for Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward, a few picks
You mean anti-Celtics communities? That trade is horrendous for us.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2020, 04:13:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Vomit-worthy. Those are purely originating from Philly fans, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2020, 05:27:42 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Out of all qualified players in the NBA, Semi ranks second to last in scoring per minute.  His defense is perhaps slightly above-average, but his offense is putrid.  He might be the worst rotation player in the NBA.

Ojeleye's scoring is actually comparable to P.J. Tucker and Royce O'Neale (who both are starters on top 10 teams in the league) and play a similar role as Ojeleye. And besides, Grant Williams hardly has more output and also shoots worse. I think there's a role for Ojeleye on the Celtics. In contrary to most Celtics fans I'm not much of a believer in Grant Williams (especially his ceiling). If we had a playoff game tomorrow against Philly, Milwaukee or Toronto I'd play Ojeleye over G.Williams without question.

Grant Williams would be one of the prime candidates for me to trade away for a veteran upgrade. He has played significant minutes and has adjusted to the NBA as well as you could have expected, so I can imagine that some teams have interest. On the other hand due to injuries I don't think that Robert Williams is currently viewed in high regard and I am a firm believer that he has the potential to become an above average starter at center.

My categories in a ratio based on ''value for the Celtics (short and longterm)'' and ''assumed current trading value'' would be as follows:

Basically untradeable: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Theis
Unlikely to be traded: Walker, Smart, R. Williams, Ojeleye
Trading possibilities: Edwards, G. Williams, Poirier, Wanamaker, Green, Kanter, Langford

I'd try to explore the market if teams are interested in Edwards, G. Williams, Langford or our draft picks. I view Langford as the guy with the most potential and therefore I'd rather trade the other guys unless a mindblowing offer comes on the table.

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I wouldn't call that horrendous.  It would be an interesting Celtics lineup and would make Simmons a PF and move Tatum back to his more natural SF spot.  And which I think Simmons at PF is intriguing, I'm not sure I would want to see if it would work on the C's, but if it did it would be such a match-up nightmare for opposing teams having a PF with Simmons ball skills.  It would also ease some of the future uncertainty regarding the cap.

Just for fun, this would be the C's lineup post that trade.

PG - Walker, Wanamaker, Edwards, Waters
SG - Richardson, Smart
SF - Tatum, Langford, Ojeleye
PF - Simmons, Scott, G. Williams
C - Theis, Kanter, R. Williams

If Simmons actually worked as a PF and well with Tatum at SF, I think that team could be very interesting (and that duo would have a chance to be an all time great duo), and could certainly win the title if it came together well.  Probably could use a stretch center to allow Simmons more free reign in the paint, but I think that team would have real championship potential if it came together well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I wouldn't call that horrendous.  It would be an interesting Celtics lineup and would make Simmons a PF and move Tatum back to his more natural SF spot.  And which I think Simmons at PF is intriguing, I'm not sure I would want to see if it would work on the C's, but if it did it would be such a match-up nightmare for opposing teams having a PF with Simmons ball skills.  It would also ease some of the future uncertainty regarding the cap.

Just for fun, this would be the C's lineup post that trade.

PG - Walker, Wanamaker, Edwards, Waters
SG - Richardson, Smart
SF - Tatum, Langford, Ojeleye
PF - Simmons, Scott, G. Williams
C - Theis, Kanter, R. Williams

If Simmons actually worked as a PF and well with Tatum at SF, I think that team could be very interesting (and that duo would have a chance to be an all time great duo), and could certainly win the title if it came together well.  Probably could use a stretch center to allow Simmons more free reign in the paint, but I think that team would have real championship potential if it came together well.
I would, Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward are more valuable than Simmons, Richardson and Scott. That's not even factoring in us sending draft capital lol.

And I think that trade would actually lower our ceiling, getting a point forward who can't really shoot or lead a half court offence (think a homeless man's Draymond/Giannis hybrid) and a 3 and D wing in Richardson (albeit quite good with some extra passing skills) is not enough to make up us for losing a strong wing creator in Hayward and a nice two way wing in Brown.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2020, 09:03:34 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeesh...

IDK who is suggesting that, but it certainly isn't anyone with the Celtics bes interests in mind.

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2020, 09:04:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeesh...

IDK who is suggesting that, but it certainly isn't anyone with the Celtics bes interests in mind.

Yeah, there's no way in hell I'd do that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team