Author Topic: Cavs Attempting To Deal for Timofey Mozgov  (Read 11825 times)

Re: Cavs Attempting To Deal for Timofey Mozgov
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What, exactly, would we want to put on the table in a trade for Mozgov?

I'd probably be willing to trade Sully for him.
You and I have very different valuations of Mozgov if you're thinking Thompson/Sully/Olynyk is in the same value range as him.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I am really hoping that the Cavs continue to erode their depth and trade away any young players they have. We just saw this movie last fall where relying on 33-38 year old role players leads to injuries and inconsistent play particularly by the end of the playoffs after so many tough physical contents in a short period.

I watched Haslem, Anderson, Ray Allen and Battier become shells of themselves and be complete not factors by the end of the playoffs. Some were from injuries (anderson) some were just nearing the end of the line.

So now the Cavs are loading up a 36 year old Marion, a 35 oft-injured Mike Miller, 33 James Jones, recruiting 38 year-old Ray and relaying on Varejo to play big minutes? This could be an absolutely amazing epic fail.

I haven't even mentioned out that Irving (played about 70% of his team's games first 3 years in league)  and Love have not been pictures of durability (missed over a 100 games last 4 seasons, albeit a large chunk from a freak injury) in their time in the league, especially considering their age.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:49:53 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Thompson is a nice young player... probably a better asset than anyone Boston has on their roster aside from Rondo and Smart.  And they don't need him now that they have Kevin Love... so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cavs make another impact trade before the start of the season.
Thompson is more a C offensively than a PF. I think they'll keep him, any move would be a deadline retooling.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I am really hoping that the Cavs continue to erode their depth and trade away any young players they have. We just saw this movie last fall where relying on 33-38 year old role players leads to injuries and inconsistent play particularly by the end of the playoffs after so many tough physical contents in a short period.

I watched Haslem, Anderson, Ray Allen and Battier become shells of themselves and be complete not factors by the end of the playoffs. Some were from injuries (anderson) some were just nearing the end of the line.

So now the Cavs are loading up a 36 year old Marion, a 35 oft-injured Mike Miller, 33 James Jones, recruiting 38 year-old Ray and relaying on Varejo to play big minutes? This could be an absolutely amazing epic fail.

I haven't even mentioned out that Irving (played about 70% of his team's games first 3 years in league)  and Love have not been pictures of durability (missed over a 100 games last 4 seasons, albeit a large chunk from a freak injury) in their time in the league, especially considering their age.

It only got the Heat 4 consecutive Finals appearances and two titles.

Some people take a tone now with the Heat as if that was a failure.  It was a big success.  Yes, LeBron left.  Yes they depleted their roster of youth and I think we saw that cost them at the end there.  In the Finals.  Again, of which they played in all of the last 4.

If you pay a few players this much, you need cheap role players and more often those are vets trying to win.  This isn't a thing LeBron invented.

The Cavs are making the right moves.  They need to try to win right away.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

It only got the Heat 4 consecutive Finals appearances and two titles.

Some people take a tone now with the Heat as if that was a failure.  It was a big success.  Yes, LeBron left.  Yes they depleted their roster of youth and I think we saw that cost them at the end there.  In the Finals.  Again, of which they played in all of the last 4.

If you pay a few players this much, you need cheap role players and more often those are vets trying to win.  This isn't a thing LeBron invented.

The Cavs are making the right moves.  They need to try to win right away.

Well there is kind of debate that is endlessly held with this. Although the Heat did not create the concept of having 3 max salary players the league salary cap structures, loopholes and luxury tax penalties did change partly as a result of what they did. This now makes building an effective team around 3 max players a more difficult approach. I think even if it helps them slightly this year, trading away players on their rookie deals and giving away all of their depth will come back to bite them. This is in stark contrast to how the team that just crushed them built their team...

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You and I have very different valuations of Mozgov if you're thinking Thompson/Sully/Olynyk is in the same value range as him.

Are you saying that Timo Mozgov is in a considerably higher value range than those guys?

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Are you saying that Timo Mozgov is in a considerably higher value range than those guys?
Lower, much lower.

As an aside I thought as you posted this: "does he have him in the DKC/CBDraft game". And yes clicking your current roster link of course you do.

Mosgov has talent, but he doesn't have that much upside at this point. Nor has he been productive until last year when injury totally cleared the deck for him to get minutes.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487

Lower, much lower.

As an aside I thought as you posted this: "does he have him in the DKC/CBDraft game". And yes clicking your current roster link of course you do.

Mosgov has talent, but he doesn't have that much upside at this point. Nor has he been productive until last year when injury totally cleared the deck for him to get minutes.

+1
mozgov is solid, and could really help the cavs, but as you said he's near his ceiling, if i'm rebuilding i'd rather take a shot on someone younger who has room to grow.

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Mozgov would be excellent insurance for Varejao's frequent injuries.

Worth giving up Thompson for although I can't imagine why Denver would want Thompson given that they already have Faried and JJ Hickson. Too much of the same. Maybe Waiters instead. That would be a great trade for Denver. Maybe Waiters for Mozgov + lotto protected 1st rounder.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The best way to describe the gulf in value between Mozgov and those players is to say what sort of draft pick would be needed to make the exchange even in a straight-up trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 06:45:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1764
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am not a huge fan of Mozgov, but I will say that he put on a KO like performance to conclude the last portion of the season - including a 23 pt / 29 rb game...yes, a 29 reb game.

I don't necessarily think he is worth Sully, KO, or Thompson, but he isn't very far off. Being a legit 7'1" center doesn't hurt either.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't see any reason to believe that he's a better asset than either Sully or Olynyk.

Thompson   shoots .47 from the field, that places him a better shooter than some of our bigs.

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Thompson is a nice young player... probably a better asset than anyone Boston has on their roster aside from Rondo and Smart.  And they don't need him now that they have Kevin Love... so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cavs make another impact trade before the start of the season.

Tristan Thompson is horrible.
He's basically been declared a bust by the Cavs fanbase. The Wolves would rather take an expiring Thadeus Young over Tristan Thompson. He's utterly hopeless defensively.

Sullinger, Olynyk, all our draft picks, even James Young is a better asset at this stage over Tristan Thompson.

Sullinger and Olynyk are both better than Mozgov, but Movgov's size makes him a good role piece on a contender. He doesn't have much potential left though aka reached his ceiling.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Trading for Mozgov would be a great idea for the Celtics. We need a center and if McGee finally is able to seize the starting spot and Nurkic is as good as I think he us Denver can afford to move Mozgov.

I'd give up the Philly pick plus a future protected first
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19