Author Topic: James Harden has agreed to a 4-year, $118M contract renegotiation  (Read 2717 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA
Sources on @TheVertical: All-Star James Harden has agreed to a 4-year,  $118M contract renegotiation that takes him through 2020 in Houston.

The deal allows Harden to get raises on his 2016-'17 and 2017-'18 contracts using Rockets cap space -- plus two additional year at max rate.

Sources: Over the next four years, Harden will now earn: $26.5M, $28.3M, $30.4M and a player option for $32.7M in 2019-'20.

As a salary cap enthusiast, I can't express how interesting a move this is. Time to digest it.

Re: James Harden has agreed to a 4-year, $118M contract renegotiation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I mean, I'm not as huge of a cap expert as the next guy, but as maxes were handed out this summer this has to be seen as a good value for the rockets no?
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Coup for Houston. Harden must really believe in their long term plan.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I mean, I'm not as huge of a cap expert as the next guy, but as maxes were handed out this summer this has to be seen as a good value for the rockets no?

Harden was signed through next year at a much lower salary. So that's part of what makes this interesting.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I  Kind of feel bad for Houston for having a James Harden problem..  No real chance of  winning  anything other than a scoring stat..  I wonder how many real stars would want to play with him..  bad situation for a franchise.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 04:06:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I didn't realize renegotiations were allowed under the CBA. Is that a new thing?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:07:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So the Rockets basically traded about $20 million in raises over the next 2 seasons for a 1 season extension and a player option.  It's nice to lock Harden down for longer, and if they weren't using that cap space it makes sense to put it there, but that's a hefty price to pay for an extra year.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 04:10:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I didn't realize renegotiations were allowed under the CBA. Is that a new thing?

I don't think so, but the big rub is that you cannot renegotiate to the player taking less money. 

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 04:12:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Only after X amount of years into a contract, and you have to use cap room to do it. Other limitations are there. But that's the gist of what you're asking.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It has to occur three years after the original contract was signed.  If we have the cap room, I have been a strong advocate of extended IT in this fashion next summer.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 04:42:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

It has to occur three years after the original contract was signed.  If we have the cap room, I have been a strong advocate of extended IT in this fashion next summer.

Next Summer is the year when cap projections will at their highest in the coming 2-3 years. Not sure if that's when you'd want to do that extension, but something worth considering of course if we miss out on our FA & trade targets.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I  Kind of feel bad for Houston for having a James Harden problem..  No real chance of  winning  anything other than a scoring stat..  I wonder how many real stars would want to play with him..  bad situation for a franchise.

Ditto. He's clearly a gifted scorer, but he does nothing else well. I see him as a net negative, and not a fit for any team with title hopes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 05:04:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Next Summer is the year when cap projections will at their highest in the coming 2-3 years. Not sure if that's when you'd want to do that extension, but something worth considering of course if we miss out on our FA & trade targets.

I didn't say I'd give a max extension.  If you gave him a $15 million raise next summer, you could essentially pay him at a lower-than-max rate going forward.  In other words, he'd get a 4-year deal with salaries like this:

2017: $21.2 mil
2018: $22.8 m
2019: $24.4 m
2020: $26.0 m

However, since he's getting $15 mil extra next season that he otherwise wouldn't, it would make it as if those 2018-2020 salaries were each $5 mil higher, and much closer to max level.

It's not my first way to spend cap space, but I think it is a good way to spend if there is no free agent signing.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Ditto. He's clearly a gifted scorer, but he does nothing else well. I see him as a net negative, and not a fit for any team with title hopes.

Really? He's a pretty good rebounding guard and excellent facilitator. He's obviously not the best defender and that's contributed to his reputation, but you can definitely build a winning team around him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I didn't say I'd give a max extension.  If you gave him a $15 million raise next summer, you could essentially pay him at a lower-than-max rate going forward.  In other words, he'd get a 4-year deal with salaries like this:

2017: $21.2 mil
2018: $22.8 m
2019: $24.4 m
2020: $26.0 m

However, since he's getting $15 mil extra next season that he otherwise wouldn't, it would make it as if those 2018-2020 salaries were each $5 mil higher, and much closer to max level.

It's not my first way to spend cap space, but I think it is a good way to spend if there is no free agent signing.

I could maybe get behind that, I guess we'll analyze the situation better when the time comes and see what opportunities there are.