Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50664 times)

Re: Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 01:24:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If Gilbert can return to his previous form this is a world beater trade for the magic. They’re going to start Redick next to Gilbert, and depending on how the former agent zero does, one of them will take PGs. If they start both Jameer Nelson and Gilbert, bad news bears.

If Gilbert does not return to form, horrible trade by the Magic.

If the trade involves Andrey Blatche, all bets are off. Not as in they'll be so amazingly good or anything..just that Blatche is such a talent that this could either catapult them into contending status, or it could set them back.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 01:45:28 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I think it's a bad move...Arenas hasn't been impressive this year....and it's speculated that Gortat, who happens to be one of the best back up centers, could be involved in the trade as well...who backs up Dwight if he is gone? It'll leave them very thin at that position...with his departure, they will lose any advantage they might have had over Miami...and there is no way they are beating us with just one center.

Plus, I just don't trust Arenas to be mature enough and disciplined enough to play well on a contending team...not yet.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 01:56:02 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Just read this on Orlando's blog...

A source advised Orlando Pinstriped Post that combo forward Rashard Lewis, who owns the league's second-largest salary, is "being discussed" in this potential trade, with shooting guard Vince Carter also headed to the nation's capital.

Lewis' potential inclusion in the trade changes its dynamics entirely, as it'd signal a clear signal that Orlando intends to trim salary. Such a development corroborates an earlier report by CBSSports' Ken Berger. He quotes "a source familiar with the Magic's plans as saying, "they're not in the same class as Boston or Miami. With a $94 million payroll, they didn’t do that to get out of the first round. The window has closed up a bit."

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com

...I'll be surprised if this is true. They can't possibly be giving up already...it's only December.

I think they should stand pat or maybe look to add someone else. I would look to add Battier perhaps...start him at the SF position and Reddick at the SG posiiton...let Vince come off the bench. Their current roster can beat Miami...us (if healthy)...not likely....we'll see in a week.

Maybe Orlando should consider changing their club's name too if they add Gilbert....Orlando Wizards instead of Orlando Magic :P

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 02:06:19 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

A source advised Orlando Pinstriped Post that combo forward Rashard Lewis, who owns the league's second-largest salary, is "being discussed" in this potential trade, with shooting guard Vince Carter also headed to the nation's capital.

Lewis' potential inclusion in the trade changes its dynamics entirely, as it'd signal a clear signal that Orlando intends to trim salary. Such a development corroborates an earlier report by CBSSports' Ken Berger. He quotes "a source familiar with the Magic's plans as saying, "they're not in the same class as Boston or Miami. With a $94 million payroll, they didn’t do that to get out of the first round. The window has closed up a bit."

...I'll be surprised if this is true. They can't possibly be giving up already...it's only December.

I think they should stand pat or maybe look to add someone else. I would look to add Battier perhaps...start him at the SF position and Reddick at the SG posiiton...let Vince come off the bench. Their current roster can beat Miami...us (if healthy)...not likely....we'll see in a week.

Maybe Orlando should consider changing their club's name too if they add Gilbert....Orlando Wizards instead of Orlando Magic :P

my question is how could Vince and Rashard both be in the trade?  they'd have to be taking back a lot of players from the Wiz in order to make the salaries work...unless the Wizard have a bunch of cap space?  but it makes no sense that the Wizards would even want Rashard, considering his deal is long term.

I don't think the Magic are getting out of Rashard's contract.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 02:06:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Nice pull, BFM. Enjoy the tommy's.

If you figure both Carter and Lewis are involved (which in my mind is TERRIBLE for Washington), here is a trade that works:

Orlando Gives: Lewis, Carter
Washington Gives: Yi, Hinrich, Gilbert, Blatche

Reason this might happen for Orlando: They rid themselves of Lewis's awful contract, and get Arenas and Blatche longterm. Assuming they think Arenas can return to form and they can rope in Blatche, they become a formidable offensive force.

Reason for Washtington: They trim salary long-term, make Wall the official leader of the pack, and rid themselves of a problem child in Blatche.

Reasons why what I just typed is garbage: Orlando puts themselves in salary cap jail because they're on the hook for a combined 22 million per year for 4 years with Arenas and Blatche alone. Washington trades away arguably the best talent or at worst second best talent in the trade in Blatche (with Lewis arguably being the first) for a guy with a contract that is worse.

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 02:56:53 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

If you figure both Carter and Lewis are involved (which in my mind is TERRIBLE for Washington), here is a trade that works:

Reason this might happen for Orlando: They rid themselves of Lewis's awful contract, and get Arenas and Blatche longterm. Assuming they think Arenas can return to form and they can rope in Blatche, they become a formidable offensive force.

Reason for Washtington: They trim salary long-term, make Wall the official leader of the pack, and rid themselves of a problem child in Blatche.

Reasons why what I just typed is garbage: Orlando puts themselves in salary cap jail because they're on the hook for a combined 22 million per year for 4 years with Arenas and Blatche alone. Washington trades away arguably the best talent or at worst second best talent in the trade in Blatche (with Lewis arguably being the first) for a guy with a contract that is worse.

Yeah, the trade as you outlined it doesn't make much sense for either team.  I mean, it doesn't really make sense for Orlando to acquire Gilbert at all, but maybe they think otherwise.

In any case, I'd be surprised if Rashard is a part of the deal, unless a 3rd team is involved.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 03:02:58 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Yeah, the trade as you outlined it doesn't make much sense for either team.  I mean, it doesn't really make sense for Orlando to acquire Gilbert at all, but maybe they think otherwise.

In any case, I'd be surprised if Rashard is a part of the deal, unless a 3rd team is involved.

Maybe they are just trying to get rid of the 2 horrible contracts they are carrying and might be content to just make it to the playoffs....if they can get rid of VC and RL...then it'll give them a lot of flexibility next year...or maybe a third team is involved.

If they can get rid of VC and RL....then they should explore every possible way to get CP...him and Dwight will make more a very good combo.

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Gilbert has less history of choking in big games too than Vince Carter.   Guy is the Doug Henning of the NBA with his disappearing act.

This would really change Orlando if they pull the trigger.  They would not be able to spread the floor without Lewis for Howard as much.  I think ditching Vince would be good for them, he is a choke artist of the grandest scale even more so than LeBum.   But Lewis despite his huge contract really sets up Howard inside by spreading the bigs and prevent double teams.

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would truly make Orlando worse in my mind. Gilbert isn't the same. Now 3-4 years ago this would have scared me a bit. But this doesn't scare me at all.

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2010, 08:53:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think Gilbert has less history of choking in big games too than Vince Carter.

Has Gilbert ever played in a big game?

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
depending on the specific pieces involved, this doesn't seem to be more than just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

Orlando needs to increase their level of talent over what it is currently.  In order to get Arenas, they'll be shipping out some of their valuable pieces and the move will leave them with approximately the same level of talent overall.

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If i was the GM Otis Smith i would try moving J.Nelson for a pass first shot second pg that can get D.Howard the ball better.The Vince for Glibert deal would be trading one flawed player for another.I don't see where it will upgrade Orlando.

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If i was the GM Otis Smith i would try moving J.Nelson for a pass first shot second pg that can get D.Howard the ball better.The Vince for Glibert deal would be trading one flawed player for another.I don't see where it will upgrade Orlando.

Like who? Jameer Nelson is already a pretty decent PG, and the Magic don't have too much talent to offer in a trade for a legit pass first pg who is better.

Right now Nelson is at 7.3 assists per contest, and 11.4 assists per 48 minutes. His assists per game tie him for 10th in the league, (with everyone above him playing more minutes) and his assists per 48 are better than everyone above him save Rondo, Nash, Kidd, Paul and Deron Williams. That puts him above guys like Felton or Westbrook or Wall.

I think the problem with getting Dwight the ball fall less on Jameer's shoulders and more on SVG's.

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Arenas has played in the playoffs.  His average in the playoff is 24.2 PPG.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=arenagi01

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Now some reports are saying it is Lewis for Arenas not Carter. I dont see that making sense as it would give the Magic no front line depth what so ever....

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18226

Other reports claim Carter and Lewis are both going to go to D.C. Side note...Lewis has the second largest contract in the league? Yikes-a-mundo.