Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50647 times)

Re: Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
great deal of talk about a trade that will certainly never occur.  does anyone actually believe smith would trade for 4 (cap killing) years of the biggest putz in basketball with even more knuckleheads thrown in when he has a top 7 NBA team as currently constituted? vince carter was a much less risky move -- look at how that's working out.

need a scorer? trade for OJ Mayo or the like -- not the penultimate overpaid, fragile richard.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't totally hate this deal.  It's nice to think they could acquire someone better, but I'm not sure if that's the case. 

And I think it's pretty clear that unless the Celtics and Lakers get decimated with injuries, Orlando can't hang with them as presently constituted.  So to me, if I'm Orlando I roll the dice on this one.  Worst case they still can't beat the Lakers and Celtics and in the best cast Arenas fits like a charm and finally gives them the go-to scorer that they've so desperately needed. 

And by the way, not that anyone here needs to hear this again, signing Rashard Lewis to that monstrosity of a contract is absolutely killing them.  The guy is a borderline role player. 

A few things are killing them.  R.Lewis' contract is surely one of them.  He's better than a role player, but there isn't much he can do at the 4.  He's got a nice post-up game at SF, but is too thin to post up 4's.  ORL gets more out of their perimeter guys when they run a bunch of side up/down screens, but too often have Lewis standing in a corner.

Lewis would be the guy to shop around, though.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't totally hate this deal.  It's nice to think they could acquire someone better, but I'm not sure if that's the case.  

And I think it's pretty clear that unless the Celtics and Lakers get decimated with injuries, Orlando can't hang with them as presently constituted.  So to me, if I'm Orlando I roll the dice on this one.  Worst case they still can't beat the Lakers and Celtics and in the best cast Arenas fits like a charm and finally gives them the go-to scorer that they've so desperately needed.  

And by the way, not that anyone here needs to hear this again, signing Rashard Lewis to that monstrosity of a contract is absolutely killing them.  The guy is a borderline role player.  

A few things are killing them.  R.Lewis' contract is surely one of them.  He's better than a role player, but there isn't much he can do at the 4.  He's got a nice post-up game at SF, but is too thin to post up 4's.  ORL gets more out of their perimeter guys when they run a bunch of side up/down screens, but too often have Lewis standing in a corner.

You think this possible Arenas deal have something to do with the fact Otis Smith was working in the front office of Golden State back in Gilbert days as a Warrior?

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2010, 10:37:46 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
They are denying this rumour now.

High-ranking officials in the Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards organizations have refuted Orlando Pinstriped Post's earlier report that the Magic have engaged the Wizards in trade talks regarding Gilbert Arenas.

Otis Smith, the Magic's President of Basketball Operations told Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel "he hasn't spoken with the Wizards about Gilbert Arenas."

A league source said on Wednesday that the Magic is open to making roster upgrades, with targets including Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and Arenas, given his connection with Magic General Manager Otis Smith. The Wizards contacted the Magic last summer about trading Arenas for Vince Carter's expiring contract, but the conversation didn't get very far. The source, though, said the talks were never totally dead.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 12:02:46 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don't totally hate this deal.  It's nice to think they could acquire someone better, but I'm not sure if that's the case. 

And I think it's pretty clear that unless the Celtics and Lakers get decimated with injuries, Orlando can't hang with them as presently constituted.  So to me, if I'm Orlando I roll the dice on this one.  Worst case they still can't beat the Lakers and Celtics and in the best cast Arenas fits like a charm and finally gives them the go-to scorer that they've so desperately needed. 

And by the way, not that anyone here needs to hear this again, signing Rashard Lewis to that monstrosity of a contract is absolutely killing them.  The guy is a borderline role player. 

A few things are killing them.  R.Lewis' contract is surely one of them.  He's better than a role player, but there isn't much he can do at the 4.  He's got a nice post-up game at SF, but is too thin to post up 4's.  ORL gets more out of their perimeter guys when they run a bunch of side up/down screens, but too often have Lewis standing in a corner.

Not this season, or maybe ever. Nobody will want him because of his contract.

Trading him this season will require a team to take on the remainder of his $19.5 million this season, his $21M next season, THEN the buyout of his last year (minimum $10M). No team is gonna do that, unless you can find a team with a WORSE contract(s) than that. I doubt anyone takes him next year because of that buyout.

Of course the Magic can throw in picks or something to sweeten the pot, but I don't see anything on that roster that screams bargain. Some guys offer nice production for their salary, but not enough to take on Lewis' albatross of a contract. The picks won't be worth much as they will be late first-rounders.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Trading him this season will require a team to take on the remainder of his $19.5 million this season, his $21M next season, THEN the buyout of his last year (minimum $10M). No team is gonna do that, unless you can find a team with a WORSE contract(s) than that. I doubt anyone takes him next year because of that buyout.

Of course the Magic can throw in picks or something to sweeten the pot, but I don't see anything on that roster that screams bargain. Some guys offer nice production for their salary, but not enough to take on Lewis' albatross of a contract. The picks won't be worth much as they will be late first-rounders.

Right.  I think that's why a trade like Lewis for Arenas would be the only thing that could happen on either side.

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 01:08:48 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Have you seen Arenas' contract?

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Any1 catch the Magic at Bulls? seems this story has some weight to it as Vince went bananas in that game after the story broke, and that guy only plays with a chip on his shoulder when it really counts.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If they were struggling, I might understand the idea.

But they have the same record as the Celtics.  They need to be patient and only take a deal that would be a clear upgrade. 

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Any1 catch the Magic at Bulls? seems this story has some weight to it as Vince went bananas in that game after the story broke, and that guy only plays with a chip on his shoulder when it really counts.

Which could only help the Magic to get the deal done. I don't think anyone expects to see that Vince every night. Once the trade deadline passes, if he's still in Orlando, we'll see good ole "heart of a kitten" Vince again.

The Magic would do well to take this little spurt from him while he's motivated, and use it as bait to get the deal done.

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Which could only help the Magic to get the deal done. I don't think anyone expects to see that Vince every night. Once the trade deadline passes, if he's still in Orlando, we'll see good ole "heart of a kitten" Vince again.

The Magic would do well to take this little spurt from him while he's motivated, and use it as bait to get the deal done.
Why would a good spurt of play from VC facilitate the deal? The Wizards don't care how he's playing this year, they'd do the deal just to get rid of Arenas. Instead VC playing well is just likely to make the Magic more hesistant to move him for Arenas.

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Why would a good spurt of play from VC facilitate the deal? The Wizards don't care how he's playing this year, they'd do the deal just to get rid of Arenas. Instead VC playing well is just likely to make the Magic more hesistant to move him for Arenas.

It would make him more attractive to a team like Denver who would still be in the playoff hunt this season while being able to get a clean slate in the future to rebuild. 

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It would make him more attractive to a team like Denver who would still be in the playoff hunt this season while being able to get a clean slate in the future to rebuild. 
Denver is not trading Melo for any of the young talent that Orlando has. They didn't pull the trigger for Favors, they're not going for Jameer/Bass/Gortat/Anderson

Orlando might get involved in a three way trade, but other than that they have no way to land Melo.

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
PG: Jameer Nelson, Chris Duhon, Jason Williams
SG: Vince Carter, J.J. Redick   
SF: Quentin Richardson,   Mickael Pietrus
PF: Rashard Lewis, Brandon Bass, Ryan Anderson, Malik Allen   
CC: Dwight Howard, Marcin Gortat, Daniel Orton

The Magic are building their lineups around Howard's offense. This is a mistake. They need to build their lineup around his D and a real number one option on offense. Additional issues arise because their role players on the roster don't fit together well.

Removing Lewis would fix a lot of the issues here. Lewis is relatively old  appears to be in decline, and who knows when he'll find his stroke. His contract is terrible. If ORL brings in Gilbert - they might as well get rid of Nelson - cause I cannot see the two co-existing. That being said I'd probably do Lewis for Gilbert straight up and work a secondary trade to clear up the guard/wing rotation. Depending how much WAS hates Gilbert and wants him away from Wall - you might be able to extract a pick.

Maybe then swap Nelson for M. Williams in ATL?

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 01:15:51 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
*Bumping this since it looks like it'll take place soon according to the story on the front page*
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi