Author Topic: Arenas and Crittenton draw guns over a debt  (Read 25392 times)

Re: Arenas and Crittenton draw guns over a debt
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The official term for his action is "Assault with a deadly weapon". Just drawing your gun and pointing it at someone qualifies as this. Top that with the fact that they weren't allowed to have them there in the first place means that Arenas especially is in very big trouble. Crittenton can plead that he was drawing his in self defense so a posession charge is much more likely for him. You or I would likely see jail time for what Arenas did. He will probably gret a slap on the wrist. I don't see HOW the Wizards couldn't get out of his contract.

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The official term for his action is "Assault with a deadly weapon". Just drawing your gun and pointing it at someone qualifies as this. Top that with the fact that they weren't allowed to have them there in the first place means that Arenas especially is in very big trouble. Crittenton can plead that he was drawing his in self defense so a posession charge is much more likely for him. You or I would likely see jail time for what Arenas did. He will probably gret a slap on the wrist. I don't see HOW the Wizards couldn't get out of his contract.

I have to believe the fact he put in danger the lives of so many NBA employees that there has to be an escape clause.

Honestly, not only does the size of the contract hurt his team, his complete lack of care for anyone else's life is going to make it hard to get players to come to the team.

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yeah that's the bright spot for the wiz here. They can rid themselves of Gilbert's contract.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Yeah that's the bright spot for the wiz here. They can rid themselves of Gilbert's contract.

even if they rid themselves of his contract money wise, he will still count against the cap for the next 3 or 4 years like Vin Baker did for the C'S.

If I was the C's I would see if they have any interest in a BBD , Scal, TA, for Jamison  It would save them a bunch of money over the next few years and BBD would give them a good young PF to start the rebuilding process. It would be great if the C's could land either of Jamison or David West for BBD + expiring contracts. David West would be my first choice because he is still only 29 and is signed for the next 2 years at a reasonable contract.

I would like to see a backup plan in case KG's knee doesnt hold up and Rasheed isn't it . We need some reliable scoring punch from our backup PF's

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Could be the Wiz's big chance to start over.

If they can get out of Gilbert's contract

Trade Butler, Jamison and James

to Houston

for Scola, Lowrey, McGrady and a 1st.

Get a high draft pick and become a big player in the FA market.

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know about you guys, but if I pulled a gun on a coworker in my place of work, I would be fired for sure and probably arrested.

I think the NBA needs to make a major statement here.  If it was up to me, both would be out of the league for life.  I know that sounds harsh but think about it as happening in your place of work.

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I don't know about you guys, but if I pulled a gun on a coworker in my place of work, I would be fired for sure and probably arrested.

I think the NBA needs to make a major statement here.  If it was up to me, both would be out of the league for life.  I know that sounds harsh but think about it as happening in your place of work.

I completely agree.  If I was running a business (which the Wiz are), I would get rid of anyone who puts the rest of my employees in mortal danger. 

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

woah man post # 666

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
If the Wiz do try and void Gilberts contract this is going to turn into a HUGE fiasco with the players association.

I know it sounds pretty cut and dry but so many players violate clauses in their contract.  Monta Ellis violated his contract, but I think the Warriors wanted to keep him so they settled on suspending him. 

What about Marbury?  Marbury refused to play when asked by his coach, which results in him getting banned by his team, and of course Marbury responded by showing up at Knick games to taunt management.  No one wanted Marbury gone more than the Knicks and technically they could have gotten rid of him for that, but all they ended up being able to do was try and negotiate a buyout.

I know the stuff i mentioned is WAYY WAAY different than pulling a gun out on a teammate, but really in the black and white eyes of a contract, isnt it the same thing??  I think if the Wiz want to take it this far (which I think they wont)  all they could do is ban him from the team indefinitely.
Greg

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If the Wiz do try and void Gilberts contract this is going to turn into a HUGE fiasco with the players association.

I know it sounds pretty cut and dry but so many players violate clauses in their contract.  Monta Ellis violated his contract, but I think the Warriors wanted to keep him so they settled on suspending him. 

What about Marbury?  Marbury refused to play when asked by his coach, which results in him getting banned by his team, and of course Marbury responded by showing up at Knick games to taunt management.  No one wanted Marbury gone more than the Knicks and technically they could have gotten rid of him for that, but all they ended up being able to do was try and negotiate a buyout.

I know the stuff a mentioned is WAYY WAAY different than pulling a gun out on a teammate, but really in the black and white eyes of a contract, isnt it the same thing??  I think if the Wiz want to take it this far (which I think they wont)  all they could do is ban him from the team indefinitely.

He pulled the gun on another member of the union. 

I know they will try to defend him, but I don't see how they could win unless the "judge" is on the payroll.

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I know the stuff a mentioned is WAYY WAAY different than pulling a gun out on a teammate, but really in the black and white eyes of a contract, isnt it the same thing??  I think if the Wiz want to take it this far (which I think they wont)  all they could do is ban him from the team indefinitely.

He pulled the gun on another member of the union. 

I know they will try to defend him, but I don't see how they could win unless the "judge" is on the payroll.

uhh Yeah but considering how well Gilbert shoots, no one was really in danger.

...lol youre right though, after rethinking it in the terms you put it in, I agree.
Greg

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I saw this on realgm

NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas and his Washing ton Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a Christmas Eve dispute over a gambling debt, The Post has learned.

League sources say the pistol-packing point guards had heaters at the ready inside the Verizon Center, the Washington, DC, home of the Wizards -- whose name was changed from the Bullets over gun- violence concerns.

It was the three- time all-star Arenas, 27, who went for his gun first, sources said, draw ing on the 22-year-old Crittenton, who quickly brandished a firearm as well.

he duel in DC -- unprecedented in sports history -- was sparked when Crittenton became enraged at the veteran guard for refusing to make good on a gambling debt, a source said.

"I'm not your punk!" Crittenton shouted at Arenas, according to a league source close to the Wizards.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources said.

The Wizards announced on Christmas Day that Arenas had admitted to bringing guns to the locker room and had turned them over to team security. No ammunition was handed over.

The NBA club's statement didn't disclose how Wizards officials discovered that Arenas was storing weapons on the job.

But a league source said Arenas' weapons were uncovered only after the confrontation with Crittenton.

Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment. "It's in the hands of [Washington] authorities," said Grunfeld, a former star Knicks player and president. "We're going to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom to this."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nba_gunpoint_R52AnT76DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

Wow Arenas is a freaking moron. A guy who is getting paid 20 mil a year is going to pull a gun on his teammate because he didn't pay off a bet? I hope Arenas gets into deep you know what if this is true.

holy crap!

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
wow.. that is just crazy!
it was in the locker room too! cannot believe that.....

Gives a new meaning to Agent Zero

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
As crazy as this story is, I think the silver lining is that Crittenton got lucky it was Arenas who was gunning at him and not Delonte West, because the "fight" could have ended differently (and badly). :P

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2010, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline asterix

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
They should both be thrown out of the league for this, it's pathetic that this stuff can happen and will only result in a fine or suspension. If this happened in any other country (or league for that matter) they would thrown from the league immediatley. Stern should just get rid of these two idiots now.
Agreed. Both of them out of the league for good. Make an example out of both them.