Author Topic: The Importance of Game 5  (Read 3595 times)

The Importance of Game 5
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was a bit curious to see what the statistics are concerning Game 5 winners in the grand scheme of a playoff series.  Figured the percentage of Game 5 winners translating into series wins was pretty high but never realized how high in the NBA.

Take it with a grain of salt but my unofficial research conducted the highly scientific "Google Search"  came up with this statement.

The winner of Game 5 after a 2-2 tie has gone on to win the series 83 percent of the time. …

Needless to say, Game 5 is huge.  I honestly believe whoever wins this game on Tuesday night win will the series. It still may go 7 games but I just have a tough time seeing either team losing Game 5 and bouncing back to win 2 in a row.  This series has just been too back & forth.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: The Importance of Game 5
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Btw, if someone could confirm (or refute) that 83% number, it'd be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
83% sounds about right to me. The Celtics have come back from down 3-2 a number of times (in fact they have come back from 3-1 several times to win a series). The problem is that Celtics must beat Cleveland a 2nd time in Cleveland due to their Game 3 meltdown. I think it will be next to impossible to get it done in Game 5. Lebron will put the hammer down and the Referees will support Lebron per Stern memo. That leaves us to win games 6 and 7. I think we have a chance to win this in Game 7 because we have the experience necessary to handle the pressure. The Celtics proved to the NBA public that they certainly belong in this series and this series could go down amongst the all time great playoff series considering the characters playing in this series.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
If the Celtics win Game 5, they will win this series.  I'm confident in that prediction.

If they lose it, it's not necessarily over...but pretty much, since I don't see any team beating the Cavs in Cleveland in Game 7.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:16:09 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
If the Celtics win Game 5, they will win this series.  I'm confident in that prediction.

If they lose it, it's not necessarily over...but pretty much, since I don't see any team beating the Cavs in Cleveland in Game 7.

Win games 5 and 7 on the road just like the 1974 NBA Finals against the Bucks, correct?
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:20:31 AM »

Offline shuttles20

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Game 5 is so vital- I always believed that it's going 6 regardless who wins Tuesday.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:45 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Game 5 is so vital- I always believed that it's going 6 regardless who wins Tuesday.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I always felt like this would be a 6 game series, one way or the other.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:38:30 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Win games 5 and 7 on the road just like the 1974 NBA Finals against the Buck

The Bucks were finished during the OT in game 6. That was really the team's last hurrah. Realize, Cowens was fouled out, Kareem was free to roam about and got off his Sky Hook which no one could defend against.

By game 7, Heinsohn re-organized his troops, allowed Cowens to roam, and essentially made the others deny Kareem the ball. Then, Cowens shot the lights out, Kareem couldn't find his spots (for his signature shot) and then the Celts blew them out. This was Oscar's final years in the league and he couldn't do what he did in his prior years.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:42:35 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
We have far more game 7 experience then them I like our chances if it goes that far.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 01:07:44 AM »

Offline democritic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
This reminds me a lot of the Championship year playing against this Pistons, only we're the Pistons. Lose the first on the road, pick up the second, lose the first at home, pick up the second.

Game five was certainly the Piston's undoing, they lost it in a close one and it broke them for the next game. If we pick up the 5th game it would really test the poise of the Cavs.

Neither of these teams have been able to pull it together for back to back performances, which is bad news for us going into the game off a win, but if we pull it out, it'll be worse news for the Cavs who'll need to find unity and leadership in the pressure cooker that is sudden death.

Next game is going to be big. It isn't must-win, but it is literally as close as you get.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
This reminds me a lot of the Championship year playing against this Pistons, only we're the Pistons. Lose the first on the road, pick up the second, lose the first at home, pick up the second.

Game five was certainly the Piston's undoing, they lost it in a close one and it broke them for the next game. If we pick up the 5th game it would really test the poise of the Cavs.

Neither of these teams have been able to pull it together for back to back performances, which is bad news for us going into the game off a win, but if we pull it out, it'll be worse news for the Cavs who'll need to find unity and leadership in the pressure cooker that is sudden death.

Next game is going to be big. It isn't must-win, but it is literally as close as you get.

This team has felt like the '08 Pistons all year, and it's not just cause of Rasheed.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 01:18:33 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

This team has felt like the '08 Pistons all year, and it's not just cause of Rasheed.

Huge difference in talent. Pistons had 2 legit all stars(sheed,billups) and elite role players

Boston has 3 Hof an elite role player and a budding super star in the starting lineup

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 01:45:19 AM »

Offline democritic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14

Huge difference in talent. Pistons had 2 legit all stars(sheed,billups) and elite role players

Boston has 3 Hof an elite role player and a budding super star in the starting lineup

Which is why they lost that Game 5 and we're going to win this one. Am I right, people?

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 02:06:34 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Eh, methinks you're insulting Rip and Tayshaun a bit, but I'll agree with the basic premise...when healthy and running on all cylinders the Celtics are the more talented team.

Still, it's hard not to see this C's team - like the '08 Pistons - as the "old guard" team facing the new guns and putting up one last fight before fading.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

Eh, methinks you're insulting Rip and Tayshaun a bit, but I'll agree with the basic premise...when healthy and running on all cylinders the Celtics are the more talented team.

Still, it's hard not to see this C's team - like the '08 Pistons - as the "old guard" team facing the new guns and putting up one last fight before fading.

That's the big worry. This Celtics team, despite 7 months of lessons, still can't string together multiple strong games. I have no confidence they learned anything from games three and four.