Author Topic: Paul Pierce...the beginning of the end?  (Read 8035 times)

Re: Paul Pierce...the beginning of the end?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
LeBron is a very good defender. Usually Pierce is either bigger, stronger or quicker than the man he is guarding. Most times he has one of those advantages. In this case he has none of those advantages. That's not to say he can't score on LeBron, just that LeBron is giving him problems.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, Bahku...

Roll your eyes all you want, but what's happened is that Pierce cannot do that on a REGULAR basis.  His numbers against the Cavs are not good, and your citing ONE example from the Miami series a week ago doesn't disprove that Paul's game is on the down-slide... 

I see a player who can no longer carry a team, along with the other 2/3rds of the "new big 3"...  You have to be VERY cautious giving them long-term deals, knowing their careers are pretty much about over...

Andy - I must respectfully disagree with you. Even I cannot say what the issue is with Paul Pierce, but I know he is still a factor with this team.

Sure he is not himself..Lebron making it difficult for him? An Injury? I don't know.

But we need him. And he's not done. He can still (and will) break out of this. He's still the Captain.

If anything, I must give him credit for letting Rondo take over. Paul realizes that he has not been that effective in this series, but yet I tip my hat to the man for not trying to do too much.

IMO, the way that this Celtics team is designed - the way most Celtics Teams have been designed in my time - are not to have one player carry a team. Each player feeds off of the other.

CLE - they need Lebron to play All-Universe for them to have a chance. Boston isn't like that.

That's why I respectfully disagree with the frame of thought about any of the Big Three carrying a team. Boston isn't designed like that.

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Well, Bahku...

Roll your eyes all you want, but what's happened is that Pierce cannot do that on a REGULAR basis.  His numbers against the Cavs are not good, and your citing ONE example from the Miami series a week ago doesn't disprove that Paul's game is on the down-slide...  

I see a player who can no longer carry a team, along with the other 2/3rds of the "new big 3"...  You have to be VERY cautious giving them long-term deals, knowing their careers are pretty much about over...

Well, I didn't roll my eyes, the icon did ... I'm too worn out from this one, lol! But anyway, I just don't think he's done like you're insinuating ... I think he's still not back from his injuries, and he's the type of player who wants to play no matter what ... if he's got issues, either physical or emotional, (and I think there's more to this than what meets the eye), he's one of the last people to admit it.

Sorry, I've watched this guy for many years, even through college, and from what I've learned about him, I just do NOT think he's through, or even close to it. Time will tell, and no one knows for sure, but I hope he's got more to show. (And please don't get ruffled about the icon, AJ ... it was not meant personally. Besides, I agree with you on most everything else. ;)) (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i know PP struggled...BUT the defense late on lebron in the lane and the baseline dunk were huge.

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
im too happy for this thread! yay!

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Pierce has become the X factor. No longer a guy we can count on (in this series at least), his contributions could swing the series either way.

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Pierce's lift and quickness have decreased somewhat. And the pullup jumpers that he would, all too easily, get off have become a little harder to hit since the separation isn't the same. Is he the same player that led us to a title in 08? No, but he still has a lot left in him. I could see him playing the next 3 to 4 yrs at a very level, but he needs to tweak his game ever so slightly. I don't think we can run the same amount of iso's and high pick and rolls as we used to .  Instead, I think he needs to work on his movement off the ball and play more off of his teammates. I would also like to start seeing him in the post more when the matchup calls for it. Everyone has to adjust their game as they age. It's a part of life.

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Is something wrong with him?  Is he injured?

Or are we witnessing Paul Pierce, circa Larry Bird 1992?

There is NOT one of the "big 3" that can carry this team any longer...that's a scary thought, not only for this season, but for what the future holds.

Sunday is important...either tonight is a mulligan or they are really finished.  I just don't know what to make of this Jekyll & Hyde team...

Why is not having one of the big three be able to carry this team any longer a scary though? And why does that hurt the future so much?

1. The big three era is coming to an end, and with them, there really isnt a future... Maybe one more year as a starting unit but that depends on Ray this summer.

2. Rondo is the best player on this team and the biggest thing that has helped this team is everyone on the Celtics being able to admit to that. Rondo has been given the full reigns of this team. So why should we be worried that the big 3 can no longer take over a game when Rondo is doing that perfectly.

With Rondo running the ship, it puts less pressure on the big three and allows them each to do what they do best. KG can post, Allen can get out on the wing for the three or give his smooth drive to the hoop, and Pierce can continue to slash and (hopefully begin) to knock down his open shots when he gets a chance.

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »

Offline FreeGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
A lot of Paul's problems in this series are confidence related.  He doesn't feel confident going to the basket because he knows that with Lebron on him if he gets fouled, he's not going to get the call.

2 years ago the refs didn't let Lebron get away with murder.  Now he can basically assassinate people and not get called for a foul.  His fouls committed per minute has to be off the charts for the playoffs.

so Paul has been focusing on defense and letting the rest of the C's score the points.  Against Orlando in the next round you'll see a different Paul Pierce.

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He has been dominated on both ends of the court against Lebron. He has had injury issues and is in mediocre shape. Yet at the end of the year he will still demand 15 million dollars a year.

PP is done as a celtics player. Thanks for everything

next years lineup s/b

Perk
KG
T. Allen
R. Allen
Rondo

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 09:34:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
it does seem a bit hyperbolic to write pierce off because of this series.

against miami pierce averaged

19.6 points
5.6 rebounds
3.1 assists

and he was working against wade, who is another super star even if a notch below lebron.

i still expect pierce to come up big in this series. if lebron does try to guard rondo then pierce should eat up anyone else who tries to guard him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think Pierce could go to the bench and be a Posey type guy, but much superior.

I think Ray Allen and KG can stay in the starting lineup at a bit decreased level. The question is can we find someone more talented to play SF and how do we acquire him?

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 10:01:31 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't know, but Pierce looked like he was somewhere else this afternoon.  It's amazing the Celtics can still win even when he's more or less invisible on the floor.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 10:04:47 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
This thread is getting crazy.

Lebron is the best player in the game. Of course Paul Pierce is having trouble with him, who doesnt? Paul is also coming off injury and not 100% yet.

For those who are old enough and remember, Bird couldnt cover Jordan either. No one could for a decade. We still beat them with our big three in the playoff's with Jordan scoring 50 until our starters got too old and Mike got a decent supporting cast. Lebron doesnt have that supporting cast yet and we are deeper than those 80's Celtics teams.

We won tonite in spite of Paul's performance and got major contributions from Tony Allen and Rajon Rondo to go along with the big 2/3 of Ray/KG. That is how to beat a superstar like Lebron. You outplay his supporting cast.

Doesnt hurt to out-rebound them either.  ;D
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
It seems like people take turns signaling the end of the big 3. First it was Allen then KG now Pierce. I'm sure if in the next game Pierce goes off and Ray Allen has a bad game it will be his turn to be questioned.