Author Topic: Trading for Sabonis  (Read 5347 times)

Re: Trading for Sabonis
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Serious question for those who aren't a fan of Turner. Would you do a trade of Hayward for a young Brook Lopez at current production and Doug McDermott?

Because Myles Turner is every bit the rim protector that Lopez is, with more defensive versatility on the perimeter. He's also a better three point shooter.

Just for explanation sake, people expected Lopez to be a 2 for the rest of his career a few years ago, and he wound up a 6 this year. Many expected Turner to be a 8-9 by this point, but he's been a 6. Both players are at a 6, but our perception of them is different because one has exceeded expectation and the other has fallen short.

The answer is no, especially if Hayward signals he wants to stay at a reasonable number.

I would prefer to go after Okongwu, and live with R Williams, Theis, and Okongwu going forward. Small, and semi exploitable, but 3 plus defenders and lots of quickness. Lopez or Turner is exploitable too, just with different players.

And Hayward stays.

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Serious question for those who aren't a fan of Turner. Would you do a trade of Hayward for a young Brook Lopez at current production and Doug McDermott?

Because Myles Turner is every bit the rim protector that Lopez is, with more defensive versatility on the perimeter. He's also a better three point shooter.

Just for explanation sake, people expected Lopez to be a 2 for the rest of his career a few years ago, and he wound up a 6 this year. Many expected Turner to be a 8-9 by this point, but he's been a 6. Both players are at a 6, but our perception of them is different because one has exceeded expectation and the other has fallen short.

I would not do Hayward for Lopez, either.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Fair enough. I did qualify it by saying a young Lopez with current production. Honestly I don't think I would either, but I just think it frames the conversation much differently. Turner has been so disappointing in his career that people think he is worse than he actually might be.

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 11:27:52 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Fair enough. I did qualify it by saying a young Lopez with current production. Honestly I don't think I would either, but I just think it frames the conversation much differently. Turner has been so disappointing in his career that people think he is worse than he actually might be.

I think if we could get Turner (3 years at 18 per) AND get a wing back better than McDermitt I would do it. It would have to be a three team deal where IND trades McDermitt/whatever to a third team (and maybe BOS throws in Kanter/and or picks) for somebody like Evan Fournier (1/17), Oubre (1/14), Gay (1/14), Barton (2/29), Aaron Gordon (2/34).

Like what if you could do:

Bos
Out: Hayward, Kanter
In: A Gordon, M Turner

Ind
Out: Turner, Dipo
In: Hayward, Kanter

Orl
Out: Gordon
In: Dipo

Boston adds in some picks as appropriate, probably a first to IND. Maybe throws in Sem/Edwards/Poirer to open up an extra roster spot. Orl gets the guard play is desperately needs and a year to evaluate Dipo's health. Feels kind of steep for IND. So another formulation.

Bos
Out: Hayward, Kanter, Bos 1st
In: Turner, Gordon

Ind
Out: Turner, Lamb, McDermitt, Ind 1st.
In: Hayward, Kanter

Orl
Out: Gordon
In: Lamb, McDermitt, Bos 1st, Ind 1st,

Orlando isnt getting much here but draft picks, IND does get off Lamb's money (blew out his knee) which is why I think they need to send out a first here.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:41:24 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I wouldn't, mainly because I don't think Brook Lopez (in current form or previous) really fits the Celtics.  Rim protection and three point shooting sounds great, but he's not a playmaker, he can't really initiate actions with dribbling the way Horford did, and he's a horrible rebounder.  He's also super slow.

I'm similarly unconvinced by Myles Turner.  If the Celts can't get a guy with the sort of versatility and playmaking that Horford provided, I would just stick with trying to get solid role players in the mold of Theis who can give you 20-24 good minutes and don't cost a lot of cap space / assets.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2020, 05:58:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
i don't watch much Indiana,  and since his name is constantly discussed,  is myles turner any good?  opinions here seem so varied.
He's okay. Great rim protection, decent defence otherwise. But that's basically it. He's a really inconsistent shooter and a terrible rebounder

As a rim protector, Turner is much better against bigs that aren’t physical. Embiid destroys him. Theis, with less physical talent, is a lot more hard-nosed. Theis competes hard; Turner not so much.

Don’t know if Turner can do the other things the Cs have Theis do on offense - the screens and short-roll passes.
In full agreement with you. Even less talented physical bigs like Drummond own Turner.

I am not a fan of what Turner does on offence. His offensive game seems to be the opposite of what Brad likes
So here’s my question with Turner though: how much of that has been having to play next to Sabonis? I guess I’m trying to translate his game to the Cs. Stevens seems to put most of his players in the best situation to succeed. I don’t love Turner but he is a big man that at the very least can stretch the floor and defend the rim, both a better rates than Theis. He is also 24 so could be something there to unlock as well.

In all these rumors, it’s the Oladipo ones I just don’t get. Don’t see how he fits or why the Cs would be interested in a rental. I’d be more keen to grab a McDermott/Lamb/Warren off their hands for some bench shooting/scoring.
You can look at his production without Sabonis and it’s identical, so it’s not due to that IMO.

His offensive inconsistency could be partially due to the system, don’t think so though. Feel as if Turner is just a tease of potential without actually producing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)