Author Topic: "Dang"  (Read 14702 times)

Re: "Dang"
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Frankly my dear, I don't give a dang.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Jeff isn't a fan of the word.  He considers it profanity.  

Rather than edit it out every time we see it, we've automatically edited it to something more palatable, that still expresses the same meaning.  

That's probably because of the times it's used after "God". Which is understandable. But the word itself is not a bad one, I'd rather it be completely censored and me then editing it as I see fit rather than put words in my paragraphs that I might not see, which misrepresent how I express myself.

The problem with editing out minor swear words completely is that they all come out as "****", which looks worse than intended, and can lead to misunderstandings with the staff.

The easiest solution is to just try to keep your language as clean as possible, even if it's a 1950 version of clean rather than a 2010 version.

It also ignores capitalization rules. Awful.

I just feel is a bit extreme, but it's Jeff's call, and I understand his position. Plus this is his place. Still a bit extreme, and you guys are walking quite a fine line here as far as I see it, between having a clean, respectful environment, and what some might consider censorship.

While I don't care about censorship, I do hate being misrepresented and mis-portrayed.

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Jeff isn't a fan of the word.  He considers it profanity.  

Rather than edit it out every time we see it, we've automatically edited it to something more palatable, that still expresses the same meaning.  

That's probably because of the times it's used after "God". Which is understandable. But the word itself is not a bad one, I'd rather it be completely censored and me then editing it as I see fit rather than put words in my paragraphs that I might not see, which misrepresent how I express myself.

The problem with editing out minor swear words completely is that they all come out as "****", which looks worse than intended, and can lead to misunderstandings with the staff.

The easiest solution is to just try to keep your language as clean as possible, even if it's a 1950 version of clean rather than a 2010 version.

I just feel is a bit extreme, but it's Jeff's call, and I understand his position. Plus this is his place. Still a bit extreme, and you guys are walking quite a fine line here as far as I see it, between having a clean, respectful environment, and what some might consider censorship.

While I don't care about censorship, I do hate being misrepresented and mis-portrayed.

If it helps at all, I added brackets around the replaced word, such as "[dang]".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Jeff isn't a fan of the word.  He considers it profanity. 

If it helps at all, I added brackets around the replaced word, such as "[dang]".

Hahaha, I think it does. But we'll have to find a cooler word there if it really needs to get censored. Something funny that holds no relation to the actual word, like that Orbit Gum commercial.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm pretty sure I had the word "scrappy" censored out in the chatroom for the part that followed the S.
Yup

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
How about replacing it with "confounded"
Yup

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I'm pretty sure I had the word "scrappy" censored out in the chatroom for the part that followed the S.

Haha.  I don't know much about the chat filter, but that is indeed pretty strict.  We still allow words like "crap" and "sucks" in the forum.  (Good thing, too, or a certain staff member would need to change his sig.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
I'll give Jeff some credit here. Pretty much any online place you visit that allows profanity ends up devolving, to some degree, into flame wars and general nastiness. I think it does lead to more civility around here to keep things clean. Personally, I think the dang thing is beyond silly, as we're talking like pre-WWII levels of decorum, but it's Jeff's sandbox and he gets to make the rules. That I respect. This site, like Tony Allen's recent play, brings a lot more to the table than it takes off it.

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Haha.  I don't know much about the chat filter, but that is indeed pretty strict.  We still allow words like "crap" and "sucks" in the forum.  (Good thing, too, or a certain staff member would need to change his sig.)

If you take "crap" away from me, I might not return here. Seriously. I can't live without my crap.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
The good news:  this particular change has been in effect since right before the playoffs started, meaning that, in all likelihood, it's responsible for the Celtics current winning streak.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

Haha.  I don't know much about the chat filter, but that is indeed pretty strict.  We still allow words like "crap" and "sucks" in the forum.  (Good thing, too, or a certain staff member would need to change his sig.)

If you take "crap" away from me, I might not return here. Seriously. I can't live without my crap.

Some might say you're full of crap  :D

I keed, I keed!

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
The good news:  this particular change has been in effect since right before the playoffs started, meaning that, in all likelihood, it's responsible for the Celtics current winning streak.

Interesting, and I thought it was my ritual about taking a shower and baking some chocolate cookies before games.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 08:48:24 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
On a related note, is it o.k to use Frak instead of you know what, like Battlestar Galactica?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:12:05 PM by misha »
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
From "Rules" page ...

No swearing! There is absolutely no need for swearing in any post. If you can't find another way to express your opinion, buy a thesaurus. Any forum post, blog comment or personal message with profanity, masked profanity, abbreviations referring to profanity, or allusions to profanity (i.e., **** or @#$#, etc.), whether or not caught by the blog filter, will be deleted.

.. I assume not everyone reads when they join, so it might be a good idea to "review" them once in a while. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Sometimes you just can't find another way to express your opinion. Even the thesaurus can't help you when you want to say what you really think about some referee after another bad call  ;)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels