Author Topic: Celtics (20-17) at Sixers (22-17) 3/7  (Read 32673 times)

Celtics (20-17) at Sixers (22-17) 3/7
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
Boston Celtics (20-17) at Philadelphia 76ers (22-17)
Wednesday, March 7
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #38, Road Game #15
TV:   CSN-NE,  CSN-P, NBA-LP 752
Radio:  WEEI,  WIP
Wells Fargo Center

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo..................................................SG Ray Allen

C:  Kevin Garnett

SF:  Paul Pierce ................................. ............PF Brandon Bass

Coach: Doc Rivers

Boston Bench Mob
Mickael Pietrus
Greg Stiemsma
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Marquis Daniels
Sasha Pavlovic
Avery Bradley
Keyon Dooling
Chris Wilcox  

Injured
Jermaine O'Neal (wrist) out  
Brandon Bass (ankle) expected to play

Probable Starters

PG: Jrue Holiday ......................................................SG: Evan Turner

C:  Nik Vucevic

SF:  Andre Iguodala .................................................. PF:  Elton Brand

Sixers Bench
Thaddeus Young
Andres Nocioni
Lou Williams
Tony Battie
Craig Brackins
Lavoy Allen
Jodie Meeks

Injuries
Spencer Hawes (acholles)  out  

Key Matchups  
 vs  
Paul Pierce vs Andre Iguodala
Paul Pierce will need to work on the defensive end to keep Iguodala from having a big game offensively.   Pierce has been playing some of his best basketball of the season the past two games and the Celtics will need another big game from him in this one.  Iguodala plays with a lot of energy and Pierce will need to keep up with him.  

vs  
Rajon Rondo vs Jrue Holiday
 After missing what could have been the game winning layup last night, I expect Rondo to play even harder in this game to try to make up for that blunder.  Also, with the starters putting in big minutes in 2 OT games in a row, Rondo will need to pick up the slack should the other starters be slowed by fatigue.   

Honorable Mention

Kevin Garnett vs Nikolas Vucevic
KG should be able to intimidate the rookie and hopefully will have a big game.   He played over 37 minutes last night against the Rockets and hopefully that won't affect his play in this one.  

Keys to the Game
Defense - As always, defense is key to getting the win.  The Celtics must play tough in your face defense from start to finish.  They can't let themselves get caught up in a shoot out and must concentrate on getting stops.  

Rebound -   The Sixers are a good rebounding team, ranking 6th in the league at 43.3 rebounds per game.   The Celtics, however are ranked 30th at 39.3 rpg.  They were out rebounded by 19 vs the Sixers last night but managed to win the game.    The Celtics have got to put out more effort on the boards as the team that wins the rebounding battle in this game will more than likely win the war.    The Celtics have to limit the Sixers' rebounds to prevent second chance baskets and tip ins.  

Take Care of the Ball  - The Celtics tend to turn the ball over way too much.  They are 8th in the league with 15.5 turnovers per game.  The Sixers on the other hand turn the ball over the least in the league at 10.6 turnover per game.  The Celtics must move the ball and find the open man without making sloppy passes and turning the ball over.  Their ball movement can be a thing of beauty when they make that extra effort.  

Be Aggressive - With the prospect of winning the division on the line, the Celtics should give nothing less than their absolute best effort.  They need to be aggressive in going after loose balls, in defending, in rebounding and in taking the ball to the basket.  They should aggressively go to the hoop and not depend on outside jumpers.  

Game Notes
This is the first of 3 meetings between these teams.  Philly seemed to be poised to run away with the Atlantic division title before they hit a skid just before the All Star break.  Now, they are just one game in front and the Celtics could pull even with a win in this game.  

After losing 5 in a row, the Celtics have now won 5 games in a row. The Sixers have been slumping, having lost their last two games and they have won just 2 games out of their last 10.  They are a good home team though with a 14-8 record while the Celtics have struggled on the road with just 5 wins out of 14 games.  

The Sixers have had a day off while the Celtics played a tough overtime game last night with 3 of the starters playing over 40 minutes.  This will be a big test for the Celtics as the schedule gets tougher starting now.  They are going to be on the road for 9 of their next 10 games.  8 of those games will be against teams with a winning record.  And there are 4 more back to back sets on this extended road trip.  How they respond in this one will show a lot about this team.  

With the prospect of moving into a tie for the division,  the Celtics need to come out strong and give their best effort until the final buzzer.  At the end of the night, they will either be tied for the lead in the Atlantic or 2 games back.  I know which one I'm rooting for!  

X-Factor
Fatigue and the Road
The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games and they are embarking on a long stretch of road games.  They haven't been particularly effective on the road so far this season and this would be a good time to start a winning streak on the road.  Fatigue from playing an OT game the night before might be a factor.  It will be a good time to prove that their age isn't going to stop them down the stretch.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:38:08 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (20-17) at Sixers (22-17) 3/7
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
hoping for a win tonight to get a division lead (% points only, but still a lead).  I think tonight's game is much more important than last night's.  A win tonight might start putting some doubts in Philly's minds about their ability to win the division.  Any mental advantage we can get, we need.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP, FL!

IMO, the most important game of the season is tonight.

Historical Rival? Check.

A lot at stake? Check.

Hopefully, Doc will unleash Steimroller, again.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Expect a big game from Turner

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
They lost 8 of their last 10.
With a little contribution from our bench we can win this one.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Is Turner really their point guard?

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
Rondo will have a triple-double tonight.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If our guys had 2-3 days rest , I would feel better about this matchup.

I'm not confident the BIG THREE will have  the energy level to win this game. Not expecting much from them.

I'm kinda seeing it as ROndo + our Bench vs their starters

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP.

GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, this was the first thing I noticed when reading the write-up.  I could have sworn Holiday was the PG.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I see a "L" in the loss column written all over this game

The past 2 games into OT we have to be spent and knowing Collins he's going to have them run up and down our throats, prove me wrong fellas
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

Yeah, this was the first thing I noticed when reading the write-up.  I could have sworn Holiday was the PG.
 Oops!   Changing it now.  Got the matchups off of their game notes and they were reversed there.   This compressed schedule has me scrambling to get these threads up on time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:39:02 PM by FLCeltsFan »

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Rondo will have a triple-double tonight.

Let's hope so.  Not confident about Paul being able to shoulder the load against Iguodala.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, this was the first thing I noticed when reading the write-up.  I could have sworn Holiday was the PG.
 Oops!   Changing it now.  Got the matchups off of their game notes and they were reversed there.   This compressed schedule has me scrambling to get these threads up on time.

No biggie.

You do a really good job on these threads, so an occassional mistake is forgivable.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
OK!!!!! Here we go into the meat and potatoes part of our sked. I know these games are tough but these Celtics don't roll over and play dead. I know that we will not win all our remaining games out there because the NBA is full of booby traps and with the exception of a select few teams, there is parity out there. I expect a big time effort on the back end of a back to back because the division lead is at stake. We did not have that feeling against Detriot but that seems to be outta sight now.

Any body can will lose to Any body else in this crazy season of Post Lockout Ball. Linsanity was February's flavor of the month. Why can't Shamrock Ubuntu be March (AprilMayJunes) flavor of the month. Walk 3.3 miles a day keeps the losses away!!!!   

B
C
P

The beatings will continue until morale improves