Author Topic: Did getting older change the way you view pro sports?  (Read 4397 times)

Did getting older change the way you view pro sports?
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Specifically, did your perception, commitment, or beliefs on pro sports change when you became older than most of the athletes?

Re: Did getting older change the way you view pro sports?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yep, learned more about the sports. I can debate better because of the gained knowledge. I hate less players because I can look past the simplicity of them being a rival, although I still hate LBJ the player. Can appreciate what LBJ does outside of the game, things I would not have cared about in my youth. Most of all, while I don't like being wrong, I can now accept it and admit it. Sometimes I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and I accept that people with more knowledge of the game are probably often right about something I see differently because I don't have the knowledge or experience... no matter how much my heart says that ish don't make sense! ;)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:05:25 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I’m more impressed now by how many of these kids show dedication, professionalism and maturity at such young ages, on and off the court...especially coming from tough backgrounds in a lot of cases. We hear the bad stories but there are a lot of successes too, we just tend not to hear about them.

I was such an immature imbecile until my mid-20s at least, I almost certainly would have blown it one way or another.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:08:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I understand the game better, understand the players more as people than as pieces on a board, but mostly I stopped getting mad/upset when my teams didn't do the things I wanted them to. A lot more appreciation of the game and the fun of just enjoying rooting for a team.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 12:12:45 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
My views have not changed, but the game and the players have - and not for the best.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 12:52:07 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
When it comes to the Patriots, you get so used to winning that anything short of an AFCCG or Superbowl appearance spells season disappointment/failure. Many call it an entitlement. The dynasty rush is too real.

When it comes to the Celtics, well, they haven't made any big noise like 2008 noise since I was still in my teens. But I did enjoy the steady improvements in the last few years. 2012-2014 were considered the dark days but I am glad those days were quite short.

I used to hate Kobe Bryant the competitor especially 2007-2012. Can't deny that he's one of the best players. I do respect Kobe the retiree. All the Warriors and LeBron hate really spiked it up for me. So yeah age does change the way I view pro sports.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Absolutely. 

It's not nearly as important to me.  Life gets much more in the way.  Job, dating, spending time with friends, trying to stay in shape.  Watching sports isn't nearly as time consuming as it was for me as a teenager or in my early to mid twenties.    My passion is still there but its more compartmentalized than it used to be.

I don't take losses nearly as bad as I used to which is a good thing.  Sure, there are still devastating defeats that sting but, mentally, I bounce back much faster.

Also,  my connection to players has changed.  I'm in my late 30s.   All the guys I admired while growing up are retired (outside of Brady) and nearly all of my contemporaries in sports are retired.    Changes my perception of the guys playing nowadays since they're all younger than me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:20:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not as into sports as I was in my twenties and younger. 
- I don't follow baseball after they cancelled the World Series in 94.  Living in New England there's no avoiding the Red Sox bombardment so I have a general idea of some of the players on the team but for the most part, I have no idea who plays in the league much less who's any good.  I was a Brewer fan so I'm cognizant of them making the playoffs last year but have little interest in the team.
- Barely follow football.  again, in NE can't escape the Patriots.  As a Redskins fan (not much of a fan since I don't really follow them now), I couldn't tell you who's on the roster. 
- Really don't follow hockey anymore.  Kings fan but not much of one because I don't really follow them.  I know they won a couple of Stanley Cups recently and my reaction was basically "that's cool" but nothing more than that.

Basketball - specifically the Celtics and only the Celtics -- is my only interest in sports anymore. 

Life happens -- requires time and focus on other issues more important than sports.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think for most people it does.  Unless you grew up in a really cynical household, it's pretty normal to idolize sports "heroes" when you're a kid.  Kids don't think about the financial aspect of the game, or the flaws of their heroes, or whether society prioritizes sports too much.  Then you grow up, and you see the larger picture.

Then, there's the practical aspect.  As an adult -- especially if you're working, married, and raising kids -- it's almost impossible to be a diehard of four pro teams.  When I was a kid, I tried to catch as many basketball, baseball, football and hockey games as possible.  It was routine that I'd catch at least parts of 150+ baseball games per year.  Now, I follow the Bruins and Sox (and Chicago Bears), but the Celts are the only team I'm a diehard with.

But, I have found that I get just as excited for the games as I used to.  Winning never gets old.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I've learned to take the regular season with a grain of salt in all sports. Regular season records mean little once the  playoffs actually start. Frauds get exposed, and talent and heart really start to matter.

I've also grown to really appreciate good ownership and management. We hear all the time about how spoiled we are in New England, which is true. but three out of our four teams are run by great owners, and the fourth, the Bruins, have gotten much better over time and have become one of the best franchises in the NHL. Great owners recognize winning coaches and GMs and are focused on winning championships, not divisions.

The fans and owners both expect championships here. Our teams excel because we set our sights high for every team, every season. It is a beautiful thing.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:55:00 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Great topic!! Yes for me..when i was younger all i did was watch and played sports (and trying get girls). then got in my 20s, job and my child was more important..thou i watch and still play, not as much..now in my 40s i dont watch as much, nor i dont pllay anymore..today games in any sport is not as entertaining as i was when i was growing up..now with social media, all u hear about is drama, money, and troublemakers in sports..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Getting older changed the way I view everything.

That's how it works.   You change as you get older.   The world around you (including sports) changes too.

I definitely try to keep sports in it's place as entertainment now.   And having lived through both highs and lows in the past I am far more accepting of each season as it's own story.

Unlike some, I do not devalue the importance of the regular season.  It is, after all, entertainment that we pay to watch.  Further, it DOES affect the playoffs because playoff seeding historically is a very strong predictor of playoff results.   And since I have learned to just enjoy the way each season plays out on it's own merits, I no longer measure how much I enjoyed watching a team based solely on whether they won the title.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, as someone who turned 21 y/o fairly recently I can proudly say that I don't think I've seen a bad Patriots season yet (unless you consider 2009 a bad year where we went 10-6 and were one-and-done). And I've seen every major New England/Boston sports team (except the Revolution) win a title and celebrate it

I only remember glimpses of the first two super bowls and 2004 Red Sox (was too young), but remember all the other championships and sports games after 2004.

One thing I have learned though is, never take any big sports moment and playoff run for granted.

I now see it's easy for a younger generation of Boston sports fans to overlook this. But many people have lived an entire life without seeing a franchise (or even their entire city) win anything. Hell, there are also many who have never seen their favorite franchises even play in a playoff game. Perfect example are the pre-2016 Cubs and pre-2004 Red Sox with their curses. And then of course, some cities who just have mediocre ownership groups in place in most of their franchises which leads to mediocrity and winning nothing (Knicks come to mind, but there are a ton of others too in all the sports).

Appreciate the playoff runs your team makes and the titles they win, because know that sports can be unpredictable too and you never know when you'll win again. The Patriots have been on a fantastic run, but we know it won't last forever and maybe after TB12/BB retire, it'll be a very long time before we win a SB again.

I do also think that sports in general is just another gateway of escape from real life. Sometimes in real life when you're down, you need something to cheer for and that's your favorite sports teams. And along the way, you can meet new people and make new friends (such as this blog for example)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 11:13:08 AM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
 I am older than most of you all, and probably have a different view on sports.  BTW, I've been a registered member of this blog more than
 12 years.  I'm originally from the Boston area but have lived most of my life in Alexandria, VA. When I was growing up in the 50s/60s, before free agency and big contracts, I followed players.  The Red Sox were terrible during that time period but I got to watch and follow one of the greatest players of all time, Ted Williams.  Following the Celtics was amazing and it again was latching on to a favorite player and enjoying the wins and championships.  Satch Sanders, Paul Silas, and Dave Cowens were favorites.  I've had season tickets for the Bullets/Wizards for almost 30 years and really enjoy live games.  For the past 30 years or so for me its been about the uniform not so much the player.  As a retiree I now have the luxury of time to watch (and I do) every Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots game.  Following New England sports for me is most enjoyable.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I'm not as into sports as I was in my twenties and younger. 
- I don't follow baseball after they cancelled the World Series in 94.  Living in New England there's no avoiding the Red Sox bombardment so I have a general idea of some of the players on the team but for the most part, I have no idea who plays in the league much less who's any good.  I was a Brewer fan so I'm cognizant of them making the playoffs last year but have little interest in the team.
- Barely follow football.  again, in NE can't escape the Patriots.  As a Redskins fan (not much of a fan since I don't really follow them now), I couldn't tell you who's on the roster. 
- Really don't follow hockey anymore.  Kings fan but not much of one because I don't really follow them.  I know they won a couple of Stanley Cups recently and my reaction was basically "that's cool" but nothing more than that.

Basketball - specifically the Celtics and only the Celtics -- is my only interest in sports anymore. 

Life happens -- requires time and focus on other issues more important than sports.

I concur with this, largely.  I never watched much hockey on TV and was a die hard Sox fan until they won the world series in 2004, and then I pretty much figured the time I spent was justified, and I essentially quit cold turkey.  I actually watched some games last year and the post season because I thought the team was incredible, and my company has season tickets so I can go to a few games a year for free.

I was a die hard Patriots fan until the past few years.  I've recently only tuned in to the biggest games of the year and the postseason.

The Celtics are my only die hard team, and I used to watch plenty of good games around the league to keep tabs on the competition, but now I probably only watch maybe 10 full games a year that don't include the C's.  A lot of this is due to time management, but also the players I loved as a kid and followed have all retired.  This year, outside of the Celtics I mostly watched Doncic, Kawhi, Giannis & the GSW.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07