Poll

Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?

No
18 (54.5%)
Yes
15 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?  (Read 7464 times)

Re: Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 07:17:00 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Kemba returned today and looked fine.  More like his old self actually. Moved better than he did vs Heat series

However the side effect is Browns game suffers (defer to Kemba). And also others look like pilons on offense/stagnant while Kemba does his thing. 

Kemba D is also a liability.  Takes extra team focus/effort to prevent getting burnt. 

I liked the way the team looked with Brown/Tatum/PP leading the charge.   Team D is more reliable

Should Ainge entertain the idea to trade Kemba?

At this point I think that it would help just to unload this contract. The Celtics core is JB/JT. Unload Kemba for picks and cap space like we did with the Hornets where we sent Hayward off to a team that wants to win. Maybe Chicago, Indiana, Dallas, or Orlando.

It would be shocking to me if we couldn't send Kemba for Aaron Gordon.

I wouldnt want Aaron Gordon

I rather trade for Otto Porter Jr. and two future 1sts.

Perhaps a three way and come away with Capela

How about Porter Jr + Markkanen?

But are we going ahead of ourselves by proclaiming Pritchard as a starting point guard? I don't think we want Teague to be a regular starter and Smart hasn't shown to be an adequate playmaker to support the Jays despite his great AS/TO ratio.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 07:39:44 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think we should give them a chance to make this work.

Brown and Tatum are both making strides in their ability to make others better.  And I think an underdiscussed point is that Kemba needs that experience too - he's a very good offensive player but he isn't as practiced at working with other good offensive players. 

My hope is that they gradually learn how to share the offense and make each other better, rather than just taking turns.  I think they all have the willingness and skillset... just need the reps, and perhaps an assist from the coaching staff.  My other hope is that Kemba's shots mainly come at the expense of Smart, rather than Brown.  I think Smart should almost exclusively be a secondary offensive player, taking open catch-and-shoot threes and driving closeouts instead of trying to create.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think we should give them a chance to make this work.

Brown and Tatum are both making strides in their ability to make others better.  And I think an underdiscussed point is that Kemba needs that experience too - he's a very good offensive player but he isn't as practiced at working with other good offensive players. 

My hope is that they gradually learn how to share the offense and make each other better, rather than just taking turns.  I think they all have the willingness and skillset... just need the reps, and perhaps an assist from the coaching staff.  My other hope is that Kemba's shots mainly come at the expense of Smart, rather than Brown. I think Smart should almost exclusively be a secondary offensive player, taking open catch-and-shoot threes and driving closeouts instead of trying to create.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 08:57:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
However the side effect is Browns game suffers (defer to Kemba). And also others look like pilons on offense/stagnant while Kemba does his thing. 

Jaylen took a team high and game high 20 shots today. He wasn't deferring to anyone today. Kemba's had no issue taking a backseat to the Jays, I don't think it's suddenly going to become an issue.
I have no idea if you watched the game or not, but this feels like the kind of take from someone who didn't watch the game.  Kemba was on a minutes restriction and when Kemba + JB were in the game, it was painfully obvious how much JB was deferring to Kemba and that JB was taking his shots when Kemba was on the bench.  It became especially clear right after Kemba subbed out in the first quarter when we immediately started running everything through JB.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 09:06:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think you have to be careful about a couple things:

1) Kemba has good chemistry/relationships with our core players
2) You don't just trade him for the sake of trading him.  It's gotta be a deal that helps us somehow.

Of course, I'm all for trading him in a deal that makes us better.  Not sure how many of those deals are out there.  One interesting one could be:

Orlando Magic Receive: G Kemba Walker & BOS 2022 2nd Round Pick
Boston Celtics Receive: F Aaron Gordon & G/F Evan Fournier
https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/12/24/nba-rumors-boston-celtics-orlando-magic-features-kemba-walker-aaron-gordon/2/

I know people are dying for us to acquire Gordon with the TPE, which would be great, but Orlando might not want to just give away Gordon for nobody.  This feels like a reasonably fair trade for each side in terms of talent.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 09:16:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think you have to be careful about a couple things:

1) Kemba has good chemistry/relationships with our core players
2) You don't just trade him for the sake of trading him.  It's gotta be a deal that helps us somehow.

Of course, I'm all for trading him in a deal that makes us better.  Not sure how many of those deals are out there.  One interesting one could be:

Orlando Magic Receive: G Kemba Walker & BOS 2022 2nd Round Pick
Boston Celtics Receive: F Aaron Gordon & G/F Evan Fournier
https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/12/24/nba-rumors-boston-celtics-orlando-magic-features-kemba-walker-aaron-gordon/2/

I know people are dying for us to acquire Gordon with the TPE, which would be great, but Orlando might not want to just give away Gordon for nobody.  This feels like a reasonably fair trade for each side in terms of talent.

Aaron Gordon is another mouth to feed. He has become more iso

His defense and explosiveness has regressed

He is slowly turning into Blake Griffin

Fournier would be a decent pickup.

I rather go with Otto Porter and a few 1sts. Porter can shoot the three, good rebounder and versatile defender.  Doesnt need to have the ball in his hands to be effective.  Has been playing pretty solid ball since returning

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 09:32:16 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Kemba returned today and looked fine.  More like his old self actually. Moved better than he did vs Heat series

Kemba D is also a liability.  Takes extra team focus/effort to prevent getting burnt. 

I liked the way the team looked with Brown/Tatum/PP leading the charge.   Team D is more reliable

Should Ainge entertain the idea to trade Kemba?

At this point I think that it would help just to unload this contract. The Celtics core is JB/JT. Unload Kemba for picks and cap space like we did with the Hornets where we sent Hayward off to a team that wants to win. Maybe Chicago, Indiana, Dallas, or Orlando.

It would be shocking to me if we couldn't send Kemba for Aaron Gordon.

I wouldnt want Aaron Gordon

I rather trade for Otto Porter Jr. and two future 1sts.

Perhaps a three way and come away with Capela

How about Porter Jr + Markkanen?

But are we going ahead of ourselves by proclaiming Pritchard as a starting point guard? I don't think we want Teague to be a regular starter and Smart hasn't shown to be an adequate playmaker to support the Jays despite his great AS/TO ratio.

Why on earth would Chicago trade away two promising young players for Kemba? Plus picks to the C’s....Same thing with Gordon. Just doesn’t make any sense. Many view Kemba as damaged goods at this point.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 09:47:53 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
This teamnlooks really good with a true point guard like Pritchard running the team.

Team looks excellent actually.

Kemba is a more modern score first pg, and that is a detriment to the team. (Not counting the negative he is defensively)

I would look for a better bigman, and a good true pg to cover until we k ow if Payton can be a starter, in some sort of kemba deal.

At the least a lethal shooter in the wing.

Smart/pp/teage
Shooter/romeo/edwards
Brown/nesmith/green
Tatum/grant/semi
Thompson/theis/timelord

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 10:12:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Are people just forgetting the great chemistry that Kemba had last year with the Jays?

He comes back, and when he was in the game, the plan was to feed him to get him acclimated to playing NBA basketball again. In many ways, I think it may have been more important to the team to get Kemba back up to speed than it was to win the game.

Kemba looked physically great. His speed and burst was there. His decision making was a bit slow and his confidence didn't seem all there yet. But it looks like the "Kemba is all done/Kemba will be a liability" crowd sure may have been completely wrong.

Let's get Tatum and Timelord back, Kemba integrated with the rest of the team and I think the team will start settling into roles they will be in the rest of the season.

There is no need to move Kemba. Especially since he is probably that consistent additional scoring threat this team can definitely use.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Are people just forgetting the great chemistry that Kemba had last year with the Jays?

He comes back, and when he was in the game, the plan was to feed him to get him acclimated to playing NBA basketball again. In many ways, I think it may have been more important to the team to get Kemba back up to speed than it was to win the game.

Kemba looked physically great. His speed and burst was there. His decision making was a bit slow and his confidence didn't seem all there yet. But it looks like the "Kemba is all done/Kemba will be a liability" crowd sure may have been completely wrong.

Let's get Tatum and Timelord back, Kemba integrated with the rest of the team and I think the team will start settling into roles they will be in the rest of the season.

There is no need to move Kemba. Especially since he is probably that consistent additional scoring threat this team can definitely use.

I'm glad Kemba looked good today, but I'm still not sold on the idea that his knee will be just fine. I really think it is something that will cause Boston problems at some point this season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 01:49:55 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
All this should be addressed to CBS. He's the one that should finaly find the team's complementary and chemistry. We are always trying to find the way in bunch of trades, signings, veterans, shooters, centers, etc. Stevens has 2 All Star-calibar players and has to finaly start building something. Otherwise, we will just make roster changes around Tatum/Brown and be like a cat chasing her own tail.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 07:47:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am not sure that you con conclude that Kemba "looks fine" based on that game yesterday but I am not concerned at all about chemistry or personalities or whatever.  They did fine together last year and they will be fine this season.   I have not seen anything from Kemba ever that would make me think he wouldn't do whatever role he needs to in order to help the team.

Now I am also not opposed to trading him, I just don't think we can get a fair trade value for him right now.  The value that he will bring the team staying on the team is better than what I feel we would be able to get back in a trade, so why trade him?

With Kemba, our roster is not well balanced.  We end up with excess at PG (Walker, Teague, Pritchard, Waters, and to some extent Smart) but trying to trade Walker is not going to be the answer to that.

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 08:02:44 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  A healthy Kemba COULD mean a better team come playoff time but likely ( not definitely) not enough for title. I think it will come as hurt Jaylen Brown’s development. As fast as he’s progressed , taking the ball out of his hands is a bad idea. Not because Kemba is selfish but just because he’s a point guard and it’s natural to his position.
  If he was a spot up shooter like Jim Paxson ( I know Jaylen isn’t MJ)it wouldn’t matter much. But it’s just not who he is. The reason Jaylen is so vastly improved is his ball handling and decision making and besides a ton of drilling , that takes reps in actual games . I think this decision has to be taken out of Brad’s hands. We have to protect our really exciting future that isn’t far away. If the Jays keep developing as facilitators a third star would probably LOVE to come here. In the meantime surrounding these guys with a little shooting help would awesome.
  I think we’re better off with a lesser talent who has different strengths than Kemba. I can’t say enough about the guy’s character . I give him more credit than any person in the Celtics organization for the turnaround since Kyrie was here.
   This can’t be left up to Brad. Brad played Jameer Nelson over Smart. Tayshaun Prince who we knew had no future here over others . Jaylen will be standing in a corner if left up to Brad and I could see even Smart in as much of a creating role because Jaylen is better at the corner. I think this is a huge time for his continued rise. Please , Danny step in. I don’t want to go back to watching Kemba in iso trying to break his man while we stand around and they trap and he’s throwing dangerous jump passes. It’s just not necessary anymore. We’re better with Jaylen with the ball and spreading guys out. Just my opinion.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wouldn't trade him w/o getting a fantastic return (ie - Kemba and a 1st for Beal or Simmons). He has great chemistry with the Jays and has already deferred to them in interviews by calling them the team's two superstars. He understands his role on the team.

I said a similar thing in the Nets thread when the Harden trade was completed, but having three elite scorers can be a plus - not a negative. You can always have two of Tatum/Brown/Kemba on the floor at the same time and that puts a lot of pressure on other teams.

In line with the last point - with the emergence of Pritchard, and Teague as another back-up, Smart should essentially be a wing at this point. We have a need at that position, not for him being a primary ball-handler. We need his effort on D and as a secondary playmaker. Let the other three guys initiate the offense.

The one thing we should all be happy about - and something that I was vocally confident about - is that Kemba moved like pre-injury Kemba. Of course we'll have to see if that lasts, but that player was a starter in the All-Star game last year. You don't trade somebody like that for Otto Porter. Let him get reacclimated and see where we are. We played pretty well even with a hobbled Kemba in last year's playoffs. One good thing to come of this is the death of the two-big line-up.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 08:50:27 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I put yesterday on Brad Stevens. The team has been rolling without Kemba. So they insert him in the starting lineup and have him take tons of shots to warm up.

shouldve had him come off the bench to get his feet wet