Author Topic: The disaster is Stevens & Ainge's fault  (Read 7169 times)

Re: The disaster is Stevens & Ainge's fault
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Ainge deserves approximately 0% of the blame. He did an absolutely masterful job of constructing this team, it's not his fault the chemistry is wet garbage.
I think it's player issue but I agree with you 100%.  I posted a thread last month basically indicating no one is to blame.  DA brought in talent so how can you blame him?  You pick guys that can play and figure it out later.  He's done that.  Unfortunately, sometimes things don't come together like you hope.

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
There is no disaster.

This team is in great shape long term. Is very talented and is well equipped to make a major run in the playoffs.

There have been more bumps on the road along the way this season but that is all they are. Not some major trainwreck. Just bumps. Small obstacles that can be overcome.

I disagree.

This team is, at best, the 7th best team in the league, and I do not see how we could get a whole lot better in the future without giving up exactly the players whose improvement is what fans put their faith in.

We are the worst kind of treadmill team, the one that gives you hope.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ainge deserves approximately 0% of the blame. He did an absolutely masterful job of constructing this team, it's not his fault the chemistry is wet garbage.
I think it's player issue but I agree with you 100%.  I posted a thread last month basically indicating no one is to blame.  DA brought in talent so how can you blame him?  You pick guys that can play and figure it out later.  He's done that.  Unfortunately, sometimes things don't come together like you hope.

Huh?? Pick guys that can play and figure it out later?  So basically running the team on the fly?

Don't you think that is the part of the problem? Isn't part of the front office's job (Ainge, his assistant and the rest of his team) responsible for sitting down and going over which players would mesh well together based on stats, prior success, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

If you're just going to throw a team together and tell them "alright guys, have fun" then no wonder you're going to have the issues we see now.

Isn't that part of analytics and player evaluation?

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I think DA is a step behind the top GM's in the league.  In a copycat league, Danny got on board the GSW train of no position teams.  In the last year, however, you saw GS sign DCousins.  Toronto acquired MGasol and Memphis replace Gasol with a younger JValunciunas.  Portland signed EKanter.  Philly already has Embiid.  The trend is/has occurred where GM's have realized you NEED a very talented TRUE BIG.  We have none!  DA failed to acquire one!  Holding on to his precious roster spot, which does us absolutely no good.
This team is 1st or 2nd round toast.  Kyrie will be gone after the season.  ADavis won't be coming.  Probaby means Danny will probably trade Horford to start rebuilding....AGAIN, but our many picks don't look that great anymore. Trader Danny got caught playing it too close to the vest and failed to see the trend in the game of going BACK to the big man, as a key contributor. Grade F, for DA!

Come on.  Ainge is waiting to pull off a deal for the best true big in the league...and has been waiting for this for years.  But he’s a step behind?

Could ainge have done things to make this season better? Probably but accusing him of not realizing true bigs are important isnfrasy. We had horford and Barnes doing great for us last year and we are all in on AD the second we are allowed to trade for him.

Until Ainge actually trades for Davis, it's a moot point. Also, Horford is a power forward, not a center. Baynes is so-so. Ainge should've acquired a better center one way or the other.

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I think DA is a step behind the top GM's in the league.  In a copycat league, Danny got on board the GSW train of no position teams.  In the last year, however, you saw GS sign DCousins.  Toronto acquired MGasol and Memphis replace Gasol with a younger JValunciunas.  Portland signed EKanter.  Philly already has Embiid.  The trend is/has occurred where GM's have realized you NEED a very talented TRUE BIG.  We have none!  DA failed to acquire one!  Holding on to his precious roster spot, which does us absolutely no good.
This team is 1st or 2nd round toast.  Kyrie will be gone after the season.  ADavis won't be coming.  Probaby means Danny will probably trade Horford to start rebuilding....AGAIN, but our many picks don't look that great anymore. Trader Danny got caught playing it too close to the vest and failed to see the trend in the game of going BACK to the big man, as a key contributor. Grade F, for DA!

Agreed. Did anyone else not see how badly we got out rebounded last night by Portland?

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2019, 05:34:42 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this is soooo a coaching issue... it's not even close.

I do agree we could use some bigs... but we're limited in our options because our coach only wants bigs that can shoot 3's. rebounding and defense aren't important...

ainge has set this team up according to coach's philosophy and brought talent to this team. not sure how we can blame ainge here, unless he's not asking coach "what's the deal!?!?!" if he's sittin here pattin coach on the back then I say he's the problem too.

also, all this talent and all we do is feature morris…?

team is cooked and it started with the coaching philosophy and then he lost the team when he started hayward, everything else is just noise.

as soon as the right people admit this to themselves the sooner this gets fixed.
You say it's a coaching issue but provide no argument for why (or why it's not a player issue).
actually I did.

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Danny was interviewed on Toucher & Rich today and here's what he had to say:

“There’s blame to share for everybody,” Ainge said during his weekly radio appearance. “But I will say this. He’s the least, by far, of anybody that there is to blame because I know Brad is going to be prepared and I know Brad is putting in the work to do whatever he can to help this team and fix this team so that (blame) is the very bottom of the rung...I know that he takes more responsibility than anybody in my opinion as to the success and lack of success. He takes ownership of things he needs to do better and so anyway he’s the least of the problems that we have on our team right now.”

https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/toucher-and-rich-danny-ainge-says-blame-goes-from-top-to-bottom-hour-4/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

“There’s blame to share for everybody,” Ainge said during his weekly radio appearance. “But I will say this. He’s the least, by far, of anybody that there is to blame because I know Brad is going to be prepared and I know Brad is putting in the work to do whatever he can to help this team and fix this team so that (blame) is the very bottom of the rung...I know that he takes more responsibility than anybody in my opinion as to the success and lack of success. He takes ownership of things he needs to do better and so anyway he’s the least of the problems that we have on our team right now.”

https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/toucher-and-rich-danny-ainge-says-blame-goes-from-top-to-bottom-hour-4/

I still blame CBS for his fail usage of TOs and lack of 3rd quarter adjustments. Stop shooting 3s.

Ainge also gets a fair share for not supplying this team with bigs. If Aron Baynes is providing a positive impact to the team, why didn't Ainge go after Enes Kanter or some other big like Robin Lopez or Joakim Noah.

Then there's the players and their mental and social incapacity killing this team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

I still blame CBS for his fail usage of TOs and lack of 3rd quarter adjustments. Stop shooting 3s.

Ainge also gets a fair share for not supplying this team with bigs. If Aron Baynes is providing a positive impact to the team, why didn't Ainge go after Enes Kanter or some other big like Robin Lopez or Joakim Noah.

Then there's the players and their mental and social incapacity killing this team.

sounds like a vote of confidence.  smokescreen. brad has been abysmal this year with adjustments and team discipline. the team does not seem to listen to him. he is far too passive.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2019, 08:50:13 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think part of the problem is that Danny has one foot looking towards the future. He couldve traded Rozier and Morris at the deadline, created some shots for others like Brown/Hayward....but he wants to hold onto rozier if say 1. Kyrie bolts. 2. he can do a sign and trade for rozier and bring someone back.

Hes also clearly looking at the anthony davis sweepstakes and doesnt want to give up too much now.

Brad has tried to keep everyone happy. and in doing so theres not enough shots for anyone.

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I've been saying this for a while. Ainge could've dealt Morris and Baynes to Chicago for Robin Lopez. Morris right now may or may not be happy and Baynes is getting splinters in his butt from being on the bench so long.

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2019, 09:13:42 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think it's player issue but I agree with you 100%.  I posted a thread last month basically indicating no one is to blame. DA brought in talent so how can you blame him? You pick guys that can play and figure it out later.  He's done that.  Unfortunately, sometimes things don't come together like you hope.

It's not a good combination of talent.

Accumulating talent isn't linear.

This roster has too many hands to feed. Too many players who due to mentality and/or contract situation desperately want to have sizeable roles offensively. A bad ratio of players with a role-player mentality, players happy to hustle and defend without putting up shots offensively. Remaining engaged with the game even if they go for long stretches without getting touches offensively.

Then a point-guard/leading offensive player who's a terrible fit for this type of situation/roster. Dreadful floor general/distributor.

The existence of chemistry in a roster isn't aleatory. It's not a matter of good or bad fortune. It's a product of the individual players and how they combine.

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
Was said long ago, but is worth repeating.

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Rozier and Morris should have been shopped together by November for someone like Vucevic.

Then by deadline Rozier should have been traded

That is Danny's fault.

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2019, 03:59:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Rozier and Morris should have been shopped together by November for someone like Vucevic.

Then by deadline Rozier should have been traded

That is Danny's fault.
rosier was shopped but ainge wanted a 1st from the suns. They only offered a protected 1st