Author Topic: James Young supposed to play in the Wizards game, slept on 'shoulder' wrong  (Read 5251 times)

Re: James Young supposed to play in the Wizards game, slept on 'shoulder' wrong
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
You guys need to get over your "role player" labels.  If Smart is an All Defense player (seems like a lock) and maybe a solid scorer and playmaker too that's a great player that can play on a great team.  That's a guy who can make an All Star team if he improves his shooting.  That's good for the 6th pick.

My concerns with Smart are his health and how his offense continues to develop (really up and down now) but he continues to show improvement.  He can really pass this year is the thing so he is never hurting an offense.  I don't see how someone is possibly down on Smart right now overall.

TP.  I've never been less worried about a Celtic player.

Bradley would've made the all star team if this is true. I don't see the great defender you see. Can someone share Marcus Smart's defensive stats. I don't believe they are that great...
What do you see, when you see Marcus playing defense? Try focusing on him rather than focusing on the ball. If you just focus on him I don't know how you can view him as anything but an elite defender.

Here are some stats from last year.
http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-050415-2015-awards-series-DPOY
Best defender possibly since Artest. Now if he can just get his offensive game going.

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
You guys need to get over your "role player" labels.  If Smart is an All Defense player (seems like a lock) and maybe a solid scorer and playmaker too that's a great player that can play on a great team.  That's a guy who can make an All Star team if he improves his shooting.  That's good for the 6th pick.

My concerns with Smart are his health and how his offense continues to develop (really up and down now) but he continues to show improvement.  He can really pass this year is the thing so he is never hurting an offense.  I don't see how someone is possibly down on Smart right now overall.
Here are some possible reasons -

He's shooting 33 percent. Do I have to explain why this is bad?

He still struggles to find clean air when driving to the hoop. Gets swallowed up at the rim by taller and more athletic players.

Has twisted his ankle, dislocated fingers, sprained a toe and tore something in his knee all within a year of playing.

Seems to have occasional blow ups.

More of a tweener guard and hasn't fit into a position yet. The flip side is he can play three positions but asking him to be your primary ball handler might be asking too much.

As great as Smart might become, these concerns listed above are legitimate. He has to start showing up on offense more often.
The injuries are the thing that really bothers me.

On offense he hasn't been great this year but I think his numbers will improve once he is healthy. Shooting 23.8% from 3 really is killing his percentages.

However, there are some stats that indicate progress. He has improved his midrange shooting since last year but most importantly he has gotten to the free throw line at almost twice the rate he did last year. In college, that is where is bread was buttered and once he matures he will do most of his scoring from the free throw line.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

He still struggles to find clean air when driving to the hoop. Gets swallowed up at the rim by taller and more athletic players.

Has twisted his ankle, dislocated fingers, sprained a toe and tore something in his knee all within a year of playing.

More of a tweener guard and hasn't fit into a position yet. The flip side is he can play three positions but asking him to be your primary ball handler might be asking too much.

As great as Smart might become, these concerns listed above are legitimate. He has to start showing up on offense more often.
The injuries are the thing that really bothers me.

On offense he hasn't been great this year but I think his numbers will improve once he is healthy. Shooting 23.8% from 3 really is killing his percentages.

However, there are some stats that indicate progress. He has improved his midrange shooting since last year but most importantly he has gotten to the free throw line at almost twice the rate he did last year. In college, that is where is bread was buttered and once he matures he will do most of his scoring from the free throw line.
There were a few games that he seemed to find a nice pull up jumper. I'd like to see some more consistency with his mid range jumper but glad to hear the numbers show improvement. Thanks for sharing that.

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 05:15:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If Smart does indeed become a role player, then people need to start questioning Ainge. You can't miss that high when rebuilding, especially when the celtics won't tank for picks.

In the draft, Ainge consistently finds quality role players who figure out how to fit within the team system and help the team win.

His draft resume doesn't feature very many major hits, but he's got a knack for finding guys that can play in the NBA.

It'll take more than one "bust" to put Ainge's drafting ability on trial, and rightfully so.  That said, if sometime over the next few years, with all of these draft picks, Ainge can't unearth at least one star caliber player, I think it'll be time to have a talk.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

All of the above makes it even more mystifying that Ainge chose to use the #16 pick in this past draft on a guy who has a very similar list of strengths and weaknesses.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Let's stay on topic folks. This thread is about what a bum James Young is lol.

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Kedrick Brown 2.0, but that might be unfair to Brown.

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

There's really nothing new to say on the subject until we actually see him play at the NBA level.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

All of the above makes it even more mystifying that Ainge chose to use the #16 pick in this past draft on a guy who has a very similar list of strengths and weaknesses.

Do you mean Rozier?    Doesn't really describe him.   Really excited about Rozier.  His hops and explosion gets him to the basket with ease.   Nice change from watching AB and Smart chucking jumpshots all day.

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2015, 06:53:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Do you mean Rozier?    Doesn't really describe him.   Really excited about Rozier.  His hops and explosion gets him to the basket with ease.   

He does seem to have some nice explosion, but the lack of a clear position, shakiness as primary ball-handler, questionable shooting and finishing at the rim -- all of that fits.  He's an aggressive defensive combo guard with an unproven jumper and ill-defined role at the NBA level.

This isn't to say he won't succeed, it's just strange that Ainge took yet another player who fits that description.  Bradley also more or less fit that description coming out of college.  Seems Ainge has a bit of a fixation.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Seems Ainge has a bit of a fixation.

Ainge drafts guys who can play but often do not have a position.   A lot of his bigs have been tweeners, some of his guards have had various strengths but not a set position.   There are exceptions but I think this is a trend for him.

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Do you mean Rozier?    Doesn't really describe him.   Really excited about Rozier.  His hops and explosion gets him to the basket with ease.   

He does seem to have some nice explosion, but the lack of a clear position, shakiness as primary ball-handler, questionable shooting and finishing at the rim -- all of that fits.  He's an aggressive defensive combo guard with an unproven jumper and ill-defined role at the NBA level.

This isn't to say he won't succeed, it's just strange that Ainge took yet another player who fits that description.  Bradley also more or less fit that description coming out of college.  Seems Ainge has a bit of a fixation.

He's not a pure point, but his ball handling is much better than AB and Smart.  His shooting stroke looks way better than Smart as well.    Gives me hope.