Author Topic: Are we overrating James Young a bit?  (Read 12154 times)

Re: Are we overrating James Young a bit?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
He needed another year at school,  he might have been a top five this year if  he developed a little more in a weak draft this year. He was the second youngest kid in the draft last year, so patience is going to be needed, but Celtics fans seem to lack that.
This is not about patience, it's about expectation. Waiting 5 years to develop the next Ricky Davis type is a phenomenal waste of time.

So he's barely played in a handful of games and you're already convinced that we should move him because it's clear that he's only going to be Ricky Davis? ::)
Do you think teams should spend time, effort, and years of salary developing role players? If you don't understand why this is a waste of time, I'm afraid I can't explain it any better.
koz, one more time, this is not what people are arguing. unless GMs have a magical crystal ball that accurately predicts the future of each and every player drafted in the nba, then they are doing similar to what we do here - we guess at the future of players.

based upon those guesses GMs invest time to develop players. no GM tosses aside a cost controlled player because they wont be HOF or an all star. GMs will invest time to find out how good a player can be. and sometimes a player can be a good role player and still be worth it since they are cost controlled. otherwise, after the rookie contract they let the player go.

at least please argue with the points advanced by people, not straw figures.

Thank you.  TP.

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
He needed another year at school,  he might have been a top five this year if  he developed a little more in a weak draft this year. He was the second youngest kid in the draft last year, so patience is going to be needed, but Celtics fans seem to lack that.
This is not about patience, it's about expectation. Waiting 5 years to develop the next Ricky Davis type is a phenomenal waste of time.

So he's barely played in a handful of games and you're already convinced that we should move him because it's clear that he's only going to be Ricky Davis? ::)
Do you think teams should spend time, effort, and years of salary developing role players? If you don't understand why this is a waste of time, I'm afraid I can't explain it any better.

Thank you for making my own point, lol. ;D  How can you possibly say with complete and utter certainly as of this minute that James Young will never be anything more than a role player?  Have you consulted with Miss Cleo?

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Young could go either way of being an elite scorer, or a Marshon Brooks type of player.
Here's the point people are arguing. This expectation is absolutely unrealistic. There are plenty of elite scorers that entered the league pretty young -- and even in their young age they were more advanced than Young.

There's no straw man here. Young may end up being a decent NBA player, but he's no Kobe Bryant or Klay Thompson.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm just scarred or paranoid he ll wind up being Marshon Brooks 2.0 or Swaggie P.  ......chuckers with no other basketball skill or mindset to be complete player.

Just impossible to say at this point....."..we know one thing for certain....

More Marshon Brooks types come and go by the dozens ......and Kobe type is RARE

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Young could go either way of being an elite scorer, or a Marshon Brooks type of player.
Here's the point people are arguing. This expectation is absolutely unrealistic. There are plenty of elite scorers that entered the league pretty young -- and even in their young age they were more advanced than Young.

There's no straw man here. Young may end up being a decent NBA player, but he's no Kobe Bryant or Klay Thompson.
koz, i believe a more accurate interpretation of that sentence you cite would be to unbold the section above and it as "player x will either be this or that."

now, while an accurate statement, i dont find it very useful.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Rating" him at all at this point is a mistake.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

It's hard to say how good Young is right now were he's had no consistency in playing and is WAY behind everyone else. He was out all summer, out most of preseason which the one game he played in he played well. Played well in the D-League, but then sidelined with the shoulder. Started to get some minutes for the C's after the trades, and the flu. Anyone knows the flu some times is worse than an injury when it comes to getting back to form.

He's really had no good stretch of playing out side the D-league stuff. Players aren't looking for him in the offense, and he's still trying to get a feel for the game. But the kid has a great shot, and touch on off balanced shots. He goes in for boards which is nice.

Maybe elite is a little high praise, but he could be a legit scorer. He has all the tools, its the one in his head that has to decided what kind of player he could be. And at 19 this day and age, it could take a couple of years. McGrady averaged 7 and 9 is first could years and then became a 25+ guy for a  few years, no reason Young couldn't be high teens low twenty's in 5 years, unless he decides to call it in when it comes to working on his game.

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If we did have a crystal ball last draft what player or players picked after JYoung to include the second round would have been better selections to include stats and quality of play so far this season?

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 11:23:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Regarding title of thread - depends upon the 'we'. I am not. I hope he can be decent, but he seems like just another young kid who isn't ready at the moment.

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I think Klay is his ceiling offensively (he'll never be as good defensively), which is still a pretty good player. Klay also had two more years of college development when he came into the league, so that needs to be factored in, too.

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Regarding title of thread - depends upon the 'we'. I am not. I hope he can be decent, but he seems like just another young kid who isn't ready at the moment.

Yeah I don't like the whole we thing either because I'm not overrating him either.  More just for discussions purposed and we are all in this together lol.  I'm like everyone else where I see him as a young kid with a lot of potential particularly as a shooter.  Although with Bradley here and if we get another SF he may figure in as a rotation guy which Is fine because they all are anyways.  I'm still from the oldschool where it's a team game and doesn't matter who starts and all that.  I've just listened to a lot of that and it rubs off sometimes. I'm all for development and seeing how guys fit. 

But just curious about upside in ways.  I'm not a huge fan of projections either but still can see talent and all that.  Young could be better than a rotation guy.  He could be a rotation guy. He could bust but that's what we are trying to avoid so I would stay away from that one.

What we want ultimately are talented players who play well together. Young logically is a young kid  with a lot of talent particularly as a shooter. He's also athletic and can be a good defender imo.  His defense isn't there yet but his athleticism is and he has very good defensive potential.

Ray Allen wasn't known for his defense but was still an above average defender by nba standards for most of his career.  Young reminds me of Josh Howard a bit but that's a rough early impression. I see him more as a guard for some reason and pull up shooter.

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 06:51:49 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Are people overrating him if they deem him untouchable in any trade talks?

Depends on the reason people don't want to include him in trade talks.

If the reason is that they feel he is of tremendous value and that there is no way they can get equal value on such a tremendous value, then yes, they may be overrating him.

If the reason is, "I have no clue right now what I have here. I could be either selling incredibly low or incredibly high. I don't know. I don't have enough information myself to put a price tag on him, so I can either let the other team name their price or I can pull him off the board until I know exactly what I have." Then, no it's not overrating him.