Author Topic: Smart and Pressey shooting 3's in practice (video)  (Read 10302 times)

Smart and Pressey shooting 3's in practice (video)
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:11:27 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Re: Smart and Pressey shooting 3's in practice (video)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:21:25 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Smart's the man

Anyone who actually watched him in college knows he can and will be a good shooter.
DKC Suns

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:28:25 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not bad.

For those not interested in counting lol, Smart was 3-5, and Pressey was 2-5.

3-5= 60%

2-5= 40%

I did like their shooting forms, and I can definitely tell Smart seems more confident in his shot. His elbows sort of lean back a little and dips as he shoots, and occasionally has a hitch in his shot, but his entire shooting form/elbows were straight.

I do think Smart can improve over time, and gradually be at least 32-34% 3pt shooter.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:42:24 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
It looks like he still has to work on that dip. But his shot was never bad mechanically ...except the dip.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:02:12 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It looks like he still has to work on that dip. But his shot was never bad mechanically ...except the dip.

Also if anyone else didn't notice, a couple Celtic players are practicing in 4/11. One of them conveniently being Bayless's number. I think this means Bayless is gone, and Bogans most likely knows he isn't coming back, or is on his way to be traded.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 03:38:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Smart's got a lot of work to do.  His shot looks pretty rough.

3-5 in practice for a professional shooter is kind of horrible, honestly.    If you go to games prior to tip-off you usually see guys making most of their shots in practice.  They do this for a living... they can make uncontested shots with their eyes closed.  I remember watching Detlef Shrempf back in the mid 90s warming up for Sonic games... hundreds of shots... I maybe saw him miss a handful of times.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 05:57:14 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

3-5 in practice for a professional shooter is kind of horrible, honestly.    If you go to games prior to tip-off you usually see guys making most of their shots in practice.  They do this for a living... they can make uncontested shots with their eyes closed.  I remember watching Detlef Shrempf back in the mid 90s warming up for Sonic games... hundreds of shots... I maybe saw him miss a handful of times.

From what I read they were putting up shots after a long practice with probably tired legs which is much different than before a game fresh.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:29:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The shots weren't exactly uncontested. Also, these were really deep 3s.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Smart has a good stroke .  Everyone has a bit of their own mojoe added.   My shot , was not the Ray Allen textbook or classic poster  jumper.   Yet it worked nice for me .

I see nothing wrong with Smarts shot ....you do,what is comfortable ,  body type makes a difference.

His shot looks a bit like LeBron s jumper ....which isn't a Ray Allen picture perfect form either.

Consistent release is what he needs ,  millions of shots .

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 07:25:59 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Shooting 3-5 is not horrible by any means especially since he did it with a hand in his face.  Honestly, you can't draw any conclusions from it at all, good or bad.  You seem intent on spinning any information about the guy as negatively as possible.  You said you didn't watch him play in college, so at least wait to see how he plays over the next week or so in the summer league before making your mind up about him.  I bet he will surprise you.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
The most intriguing aspect to me is how freakin' big Smart is.  He looks like a tight end or linebacker instead of a PG.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:59:35 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
The most intriguing aspect to me is how freakin' big Smart is.  He looks like a tight end or linebacker instead of a PG.
this is also my first impression, talk about nba ready body! can't wait to see him destroy 1-2 guards in the summer league.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Even though 'Toine and Pierce didn't come into the league at the same time, they were actually even closer in age than Smart and Young, and they remind me of the two:

Antoine was incredibly durable through his time with the C's and he started his career playing in every game and starting 68 of them as a 20yo. He was an easy talker and front-man from the very beginning.

Pierce was the more quiet, younger sidekick, but he came in with loads of skills at the wing and just went about his business. Pierce was two years older than Young as rookie, however, and I expect Young will take longer to emerge as a player.

The big difference I think is that Smart will have Stevens to keep him playing the right way, as opposed to Toine, who was left to develop his volume-shooter habits without constraint.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
this is also my first impression, talk about nba ready body! can't wait to see him destroy 1-2 guards in the summer league.

Shooting with Pressey of course is also going to exaggerate the effect.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

You really can't compare a guy, in his first week of the NBA shooting long somewhat contested 3's to a seasoned Vet, during warmups who has about a million shots more under his belt.

His shot looks fine. Good arch on it, which most bad shooters coming out of college are usually pretty flat. He did have that one off the back board, but the next 4 looked good, and he made 3 of them. Plus he's still getting use to the NBA ball which is a lot different. 

Plus hitting the long ball is overrated. I'd rather see how consistent he can be around 15 to 18 feet. I think thats were he can start to make his living because it's a dying shot that most teams will give up. He can work on the long ball over the next season or two to add to his game.

AB couldn't hit squat until his second season, and it still wasn't really good until last season. Smarts a gym rat. I wouldn't be surprised if he got better by the end of the season at the latest.