Author Topic: Scal would be much more usefull than Haragody and Von Wafer right now.  (Read 8914 times)

Re: Scal would be much more usefull than Haragody and Von Wafer right now.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Scal would have minimal use, just like how he doesn't get used in Chicago.

Sure, Harangody is useless, but that was expected. Wafer is still getting used to things, and we definitely needed another SF more than we needed another PF.

Right now is as bad as it gets for us with the bigs with 3 out, but we can expect things to be much better with the bigs come playoff time. We are much thinner as SF. If Wafer eventually figures out our system, he might actually contribute -- which would put him way past Scal. Scal would have been our 7th big (considering the 4 & 5 only).

Better off with slim chance that Harangody might one day contribute.

No way Scal starts at center over Erden.

How do you know right now is as bad as it gets. Erden has been playing with a shoulder that Doc said at some point said will need surgery.  

Funny how quickly people forget Scals contributions in 08 and 09.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
scal's value was non-existant......he lost all of his potential..at least these guys still have potential. I saw a utube video of scal..he was dunking, rolling to the hole, rebounding, yes, rebounding.  His last 3-4 years here, he did none of that. We don't want him teaching anyone to just run to the corner, and wait for the ball. We have shooters, we need defenders and rebounders here, scal is neither. They don't play him at all in Chicago...Sheldon STARTS in Denver, most will find "invisible" reasons for this, as if george karl doesn't know the game, or the game is so diff over there....It isn't THAT diff anywhere in the nba....

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Scal would have minimal use, just like how he doesn't get used in Chicago.

Sure, Harangody is useless, but that was expected. Wafer is still getting used to things, and we definitely needed another SF more than we needed another PF.

Right now is as bad as it gets for us with the bigs with 3 out, but we can expect things to be much better with the bigs come playoff time. We are much thinner as SF. If Wafer eventually figures out our system, he might actually contribute -- which would put him way past Scal. Scal would have been our 7th big (considering the 4 & 5 only).

Better off with slim chance that Harangody might one day contribute.

No way Scal starts at center over Erden.

How do you know right now is as bad as it gets. Erden has been playing with a shoulder that Doc said at some point said will need surgery.  

Funny how quickly people forget Scals contributions in 08 and 09.

Yet is is just as likely that Quis or a wing will be the next injury and Wafer will be needed.

Scal contributed almost nothing in 08. How could I forget that? He played zero point zero minutes during the playoffs. I think you have forgotten how horrible Scal was in 07-08.

Scal is in Chicago because Thibs wanted him to help teach his defense. We don't need that since we are a team of veterans, most of whom have been playing in this system since 07-08.

Did Scal contribute when there were injuries in some games in 07-08? Sure. So did Gabe Pruitt. Essentially, any body that didn't demand touches would have worked since they just watched the contributors do their thing.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738
I know this must be a joke thread, but if not, here's a reminder as to why this guy is no longer on our team, other than his lack of ability to rebound for someone that is 6'9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzOfsTZEVg&feature=related

i'll never forget that play - and it was pure Scal.

this is an interesting thought - i must say that i thought Haragody was going to be a little more of a presence than he has been. he was a great scrappy rebounder at notre dame, wasn't he ? get in there and knock somebody on their azz Luke !!

and Von Wafer does have it in him to score, which is why we kept the guy. can't doc give him some more minutes to get him in the flow so when the playoffs get here, we have that extra weapon. we sure needed an additional perimeter punch for the finals last year - a couple of key baskets from some fresh legs in the middle of that final 4th quarter was all we needed to get over the ............. oh, don't get me started.

although ................. don't i remember two seasons ago when KG was out that Scal had a fairly productive run filling in - didn't he contribute steadily there for a stretch of the season when we needed him ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I know this must be a joke thread, but if not, here's a reminder as to why this guy is no longer on our team, other than his lack of ability to rebound for someone that is 6'9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzOfsTZEVg&feature=related

i'll never forget that play - and it was pure Scal.

this is an interesting thought - i must say that i thought Haragody was going to be a little more of a presence than he has been. he was a great scrappy rebounder at notre dame, wasn't he ? get in there and knock somebody on their azz Luke !!

and Von Wafer does have it in him to score, which is why we kept the guy. can't doc give him some more minutes to get him in the flow so when the playoffs get here, we have that extra weapon. we sure needed an additional perimeter punch for the finals last year - a couple of key baskets from some fresh legs in the middle of that final 4th quarter was all we needed to get over the ............. oh, don't get me started.

although ................. don't i remember two seasons ago when KG was out that Scal had a fairly productive run filling in - didn't he contribute steadily there for a stretch of the season when we needed him ?
Scal seemed to think to much at times, and he would try to be too clever -- but he was on his own page.

In 2008, his favorite play was the lazy pass on the perimeter to the other team. He always scared me on offense. I had no problem with his defense though.

I would much rather have go 'high risk-high reward' with Wafer than go 'guaranteed body in practice' with Scal.

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 11:53:03 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Scal is the most overrated scrub in the history of the NBA.

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 12:06:20 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Scal has no upside whereas Haragody has some upside with being a rookie with a good BBIQ.

I will say though if debating the 15th man on the roster is all we have to worry about things are looking pretty good.

Bingo.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If we actually lose enough big guys that we find ourselves missing and needing Scal then we'll have really big problems.   I'd rather go with just the most active and good big guy in the NBDL or maybe try to call a guy back from Europe or something.  Call Toine. Whatever. 

But if you are watching this season thinking anything along the lines of "Man if we only had Scal" then you and me are really different basketball people.

Maybe Wafer isn't the guy, but neither is Scal

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 05:07:10 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Agreed were definitely missing Scals presence right now....
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 06:04:49 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Scal was a mascot. If I never see him again it will be too soon.

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 06:07:09 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Red/Black/White suits Scal better than Green/White.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:21:07 AM by housecall »

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 09:38:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Fairly large blunder not to offer Scal the veterans min for the next 2 years. He could step in right now when we are depleted on the front line and make a contribution.

Instead we have Haragody and Von Wafer giving us nothing at the moment.

I agree.  Although I still like Harangody's potential to be able to fill Scal's role sooner rather than later, and I think Wafer gave them depth where they had less than up front, and therefore made more sense for roster balance.

So far, you are correct, it has not worked out well, but as far as complaints about this team go, that is a very minor one.

I do think it is quickly approaching time to cut bait with Wafer though, and replace him with a more reliable veteran.

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 10:28:08 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Agreed were definitely missing Scals presence right now....

How so?  If Pierce goes down, then I'd say he could have backed up Marquis at the 3, but as far as bigs go, Semih and Baby are doing just fine.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Here's our overall depth chart (IMO) - assuming everyone is healthy (change the top 3 centers to fit your mood):

Shaq / Perk / JO / Semi
KG / BBD / Luke
Pierce / Daniels
Allen / West / Wafer
Rondo / Nate / AB

Here's what we have right now:

Shaq / Perk / JO / Semi
KG / BBD / Luke
Pierce / Daniels
Allen / West / Wafer
Rondo / Nate / AB

So Scal would help by allowing BBD to shift to center and get PF minutes, whereas Luke isn't trusted enough by Doc. But the net impact would be shifting minutes from Semi to Scal (IMO). I don't think that's a positive.

We are probably a bit guard heavy (roster-wise), but that's really the result of good luck: Nate and Daniels resigned on good team contracts, Von Wafer signed a very team friendly deal, and West fell into Danny's lap. A young Scal that could still defend at SF and shoot fairly well, would have helped this team more than Luke or Wafer, but that's not the guy who signed in Chicago.

p.s. TP for the YouTUbe clip - that's classic.

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
^Won't Shaq be back Wednesday though?  Shaq has a bad knee, but I thought they were just resting him, not that he's out for a significant period of time.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson