Author Topic: BBD vs Chris Bosh  (Read 10936 times)

BBD vs Chris Bosh
« on: November 06, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know stats don't tell the whole story,but BBD is putting up some pretty similar stats to Chris Bosh.

So far this season

BBD=  6 games/ 30mins/ 13.7ppg/ 4.7rpg/ 57% fg/ 90% ft

Bosh= 6 games/ 32mins/ 13.3ppg/ 5.5rpg/ 44% fg/ 82% ft

I don't see these stats changing much the rest of the season. BBD will continue to get big minutes with our older players in the front court. He is shooting a much better % than Bosh, he is a much better defender than Bosh, can play both PF and C and has had many clutch performances in big games.

Bosh is going to be a bust in Miami. He was supposed to be better with Lebron and Wade now on his team,but its pretty clear that Bosh can't put up good numbers unless he has the ball in his hands almost every possesion on a bad team like Toronto.

Forget the Bosh vs KG comparisons, BBD is playing at a higher level than Ru Paul.

Re: BBD vs Chris Bosh
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP, I didn't know their stats were so close (and that BBD's were actually better).

I'm not sure they will hold on for the rest of the season but Bosh is definitely disappointing, he was overyhyped this summer and now people are starting to realize there is no Big Three in Miami but a Big Two.

Baby's impact is simply great early on, hopefully he can keep it up (the contract year will help).

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I've been saying (and been laughed at) that Bosh is a younger Antoine Jamison.  His numbers are going to go down a lot this season just because of not getting the touches.  He'll probably average 15/7 or 16/8, decent numbers but not really All-Star numbers.

*If* Bosh could channel his athleticism into being a better defensive player, that's what Miami really needs.  He's only getting about eleven shots a game, I don't see that really changing with LeBron and Wade being far superior finishers and without an elite PG to get him the ball.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Love Baby, but Bosh has talent flexibility.  If either Wade or Lebron went down, you'd see his stats, play and importance jump through the roof.  That's a good thing.  He's simply not going to get many touches playing with those two, and will appear invisible at times.  But If he can keep from falling asleep, he'll  get his chance to shine.  Their stats may line up on average, but Bosh will have a higher number of breakout games I would think...

I still like the original post, however.  Baby's getting some deserved props.  And before his critics jump in, I would hope they keep his activity level in mind.  That's a big intangible in itself.

Jamison's had a good career.  For years he was an automatic double double, usually with near 20 points....

Regarding the defense of Bosh and Jamison, compared to Baby, I can't say much.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Let me preface my comments with this: I think Bosh is overrated, I hate Miami, and I like Big Baby.

However, the notion that Bosh and Baby are even close to the same level is just plain silly.  The simple fact of the matter is that all three of their superstars' stats are going to slip, just like our Big Three all had their stats slip when they came to play together. 

Furthermore, I see Bosh's rebounding numbers down as a byproduct of having to space the floor to allow Wade and James to penetrate.

Finally, while Baby's played incredibly on the offensive end and taken a ton of charges, if you go back and watch the game tape from last night, you'll still see that when he's in the game, team's get to the basket far easier than when he's not.  For all of his hardwork, he'll never make up for the fact that he's very short and not very athletically gifted. 

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Jamison's had a good career.  For years he was an automatic double double, usually with near 20 points....

Exactly.  Jamison was a 20/10 guy on a lot of crappy teams, just like Bosh in Toronto.  Put him in Cleveland next to LeBron, and he's putting up 15 and 7.  Bosh is fine as a third-guy, but Miami's "Big Three" ain't more than a "Big Two-And-A-Half."

Back to the OP, BBD's had a helluva start to the season, and looks like he's going to be taking a lot of minutes from The Brothers O'Neil this season.  Still wish he'd grab some more rebounds, but that's just not going to change at this point.  

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
That stat comparison is awesome ;D

I would expect Bosh to have far better numbers that Baby.  That's just great.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I've always thought Bosh was quite overrated, so it's kind of Schaudenfreudistic to see him struggle this way.

That said, I don't expect his rebounding, which should be fairly independent of offensive usage, to stay at an all-time career low for him. I also expect his shooting percentage to at least match his career level if not exceed it by a little bit once he's more comfortable off the ball more and Wade/Lebron get used to feeding others mroe. I'd also expect his minutes to bump up to about 34 mpg.

So, about 20+ games into the season, barring injury to him or Wade/Lebron, I imagine he'll settle into this:

34 mpg, .495 fg%, 16.0pts, 2.0 assts, 8.9 rbs, .9 blocks, .8 steals.

I'll try to remember to check back ~20 games in; it'll be interesting to see where he's at.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Let me preface my comments with this: I think Bosh is overrated, I hate Miami, and I like Big Baby.

However, the notion that Bosh and Baby are even close to the same level is just plain silly.  The simple fact of the matter is that all three of their superstars' stats are going to slip, just like our Big Three all had their stats slip when they came to play together.  

Furthermore, I see Bosh's rebounding numbers down as a byproduct of having to space the floor to allow Wade and James to penetrate.

Finally, while Baby's played incredibly on the offensive end and taken a ton of charges, if you go back and watch the game tape from last night, you'll still see that when he's in the game, team's get to the basket far easier than when he's not.  For all of his hardwork, he'll never make up for the fact that he's very short and not very athletically gifted.  

I don't understand. You seem to be saying Bosh is playing at a higher level than Davis, when the opposite is true - at least from watching games and reviewing stats are concerned.

Talk about teams "getting to the basket easier":

When Bosh is on the floor, players like David West, Jason Smith and Okafor go nuts!

Bosh is a jump shooter who is presently 25th among PFs in scoring, 48th in FG%, and 34th in rpg.

He has been exposed as totally overrated - while Davis is just as clearly underrated - at least by you!

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Are you saying that Baby could put up 20/10 on a crappy team; because it think that is where your argument falls apart. BBD is able to be effective because of the other weapons on the floor when he plays with the first unit. Last year when he was with the second unit he struggled to get his shots off.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Are you saying that Baby could put up 20/10 on a crappy team; because it think that is where your argument falls apart. BBD is able to be effective because of the other weapons on the floor when he plays with the first unit. Last year when he was with the second unit he struggled to get his shots off.

No I am not saying that BBD would ever average 20/10 on any team( he simply is too short). I realize that Bosh is the better talent,but BBD gets the more out of his talent while Bosh struggles to contribute much if he isn't scoring. If BBD isn't scoring he is still taking charges,setting great picks and doing the dirty work and getting the crowd pumped up.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
PP KG RA all saw their stats drop dramatically when they came together.  The same is happening with Wade Bosh and LBJ.  As they say there is only one ball.

I've always felt Bosh was overrated as well, but having said that he is still a very good player.  Ask yourself the question; would you trade BBD for Bosh straight up if it was allowed (obviously the cap rules would prohibit such a move)?

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within

No I am not saying that BBD would ever average 20/10 on any team( he simply is too short). I realize that Bosh is the better talent,but BBD gets the more out of his talent while Bosh struggles to contribute much if he isn't scoring. If BBD isn't scoring he is still taking charges,setting great picks and doing the dirty work and getting the crowd pumped up.

TP Thanks for clarifying

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
BBD is able to be effective because of the other weapons on the floor when he plays with the first unit. Last year when he was with the second unit he struggled to get his shots off.

How come when I make the same argument swapping Rondo for BBD nobody every agrees?  It's the same situation.  Of course Rondo is by far the superior talent over BBD.  But his stats would not be as good without the players around him.  The proof is Rondo hasn't exactly been able to get the second unit to go.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
I like to know where the guy on this board who preferred Powe over BBD last Spring is and what he says now about BBD.