Author Topic: We may as well get it off our chests... Why we lost tonight.  (Read 9230 times)

Re: We may as well get it off our chests... Why we lost tonight.
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 02:11:38 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I'm sorry guys, I jinxed us.

I tried playing as the Celtics vs the Hawks in NBA 2k10...and as usual I found it difficult to use the Celtics effectively, and got frustrated.  I ended up quitting the game halfway through, down 10 points or so to the Hawks after sputtering offensively and struggling defensively.

Sound familiar?

I need to remember that it's bad luck to play as the Celtics in NBA 2k10 - especially if I do it poorly.

Lols, just go to individual training with every person on our roster to get the feel of how to play w/ them, then eventually play all of our rivals on all difficulties starting w/ the easiest one. Apparently the 2k series tracks NBA stats, rosters, and injuries in real-time so say an actual NBA player plays the game whilst having a statistical slump (due to injury, poor shooting, inactivity, etc.) ...do you think that could have a negative effect on their confidence?? I mean, not all pro-ballers are good at videogames - though 'A.I.' is always pretty legit whether in a videogame or 'real life'.  8)

Lastly, you can always just go to create-a-player and make a version of yourself in the game, trying best to completely imitate your ability at basketball and learn how to play the game using a simulated version of yourself as a guide (though, be warned this may be very humbling if you aren't good at basketball, irl).

Or you can just trade all of the best players in the league to the Celtics (if you're a n00b). No salary caps in a videogame.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:42:35 AM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm sorry guys, I jinxed us.

I tried playing as the Celtics vs the Hawks in NBA 2k10...and as usual I found it difficult to use the Celtics effectively, and got frustrated.  I ended up quitting the game halfway through, down 10 points or so to the Hawks after sputtering offensively and struggling defensively.

Sound familiar?

I need to remember that it's bad luck to play as the Celtics in NBA 2k10 - especially if I do it poorly.

Haha, funny, because I did the same thing last year and the Celtics usually lost after I played them in 2K9. I never play their games before they are played in reality now but I guess it can't prevent losses like the one against Atlanta. :-\

Agreed with Roy anyway, poor performance by the C's last night and I hope they will play better against the Hawks next time because this team could cause us problems in the playoffs.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
09:17 Wallace Foul : Offensive (4 PF) 
08:34 Perkins Foul : Shooting (4 PF) 
08:09 Garnett Foul : Personal (1 PF) 
07:23 Rondo Foul : Personal (3 PF) 
06:42 Daniels Foul : Personal (3 PF) 
06:08 Pierce Foul : Defense 3 Second (0 PF) 
05:56 Allen Foul : Shooting (3 PF) 
04:44 Garnett Foul : Personal (2 PF) 
03:38 Wallace Foul : Shooting (5 PF) 

Yeah maybe that had to do with it.  Do you even think that is physically possible?

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Do the math

6 Fouls in 360 Minutes
9 Fouls in less than 6 minutes

69  CLE  ATL  W 40:03  2
 70  CLE @ NJN W 39:09  0 
 71  CLE  NJN  W 39:06  0 
 72  CLE  MIN  W 33:36  0
 73  CLE  DAL  W 31:19  0 
 74  CLE  DET  W 40:36  0
 75  CLE @ WAS L 38:20  1
 76  CLE @ ORL L 32:00  1
 77  CLE  SAS  L 36:43  1
 78  CLE  WAS  L 30:51  1

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Do the math

6 Fouls in 360 Minutes

Fouls wasn't the problem.  The Celtics played poorly.  Gave up way too many 2nd chance points, got killed on the glass, and shoot poorly from the perimeter.

It's not a conspiracy theory.  The Celtics can lose a game or two without having the referees dicate the outcome.  Just like every other team in the league.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
09:17 Wallace Foul : Offensive (4 PF) 
08:34 Perkins Foul : Shooting (4 PF) 
08:09 Garnett Foul : Personal (1 PF) 
07:23 Rondo Foul : Personal (3 PF) 
06:42 Daniels Foul : Personal (3 PF) 
06:08 Pierce Foul : Defense 3 Second (0 PF) 
05:56 Allen Foul : Shooting (3 PF) 
04:44 Garnett Foul : Personal (2 PF) 
03:38 Wallace Foul : Shooting (5 PF) 

Yeah maybe that had to do with it.  Do you even think that is physically possible?

Do the math

6 Fouls in 360 Minutes

are u going to cut and past the same posts in every thread?!?!  >:(

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rebounding was the #1 issue - I can't believe I'd ever have to say this, but KG needs to box out.  Atlanta's guys were outjumping us, which makes sense b/c they're more athletic, but they shouldn't even be in a position to compete for the ball.

#2 was probably Rondo's tentative play.  I was hoping he'd gotten to the point where his "lull" games were few and far between, but it was a pretty big one last night.  He must look to drive and attack. And make your FTs, you're a PG!

#3 was the terrible officiating.  I'm not blaming the loss on the refs by any means, but I don't think you can say this game was called evenly.  Even Hubie Brown was repeatedly criticizing the refs for bad calls and no-calls that went against us.  The one-sided officiating through most of the fourth let Atlanta stretch their lead and made it much harder for us to try and come back late.

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Seems like the only people ready to play were Shelden and MDaniels; however Shelden was a little too amped. Eddie was hustling but did not get open looks. They did a good job of defending the three and Daniels was the only one attacking the rim early. Rondo should have been attacking the basket all night.

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Seems like the only people ready to play were Shelden and MDaniels; however Shelden was a little too amped. Eddie was hustling but did not get open looks. They did a good job of defending the three and Daniels was the only one attacking the rim early. Rondo should have been attacking the basket all night.
Ray did some rim attacking in the first half too.  But yeh, Rondo attacking would have been nice.  They had the inside/out game working so nicely against the Jazz the other night, and seemed to be looking for it early last night, then went away from it.  I really think the Hawks physicality just wore down the Celts last night and they gave up trying to pound it in.
Yup

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 10:30:56 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Also:

Mid range game was wide open last night. When Ray stepped in he got his shot. They were playing the three so you have to make then pay by attacking or pulling up for the mid range shot.

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
In two losses, we've had nobody that can stop a hot shooting guard. Maybe Tony or Walker can fill that position when healthy. If not, Celtics need to trade for that type of player.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
1) Lack of effort and hustle.

2) Terrible rebounding on the defensive boards.  The Hawks had nearly as many offensive boards as we did defensive rebounds.  Atlanta was +18 on second chance points.

3) Horrific three point shooting.  1-for-14 isn't going to get it done.

4) Rondo's failure to look for his own shot.  When covered by Mike Bibby, you need to get to the hoop.

Overall, it was a very disappointing game; this one was easily winnable.

What did I overlook?

I agree. For all the love that Rondo gets here in Boston, he is in NO WAY near as good as we make him out to be. His shooting his HORRIBLE and he doesn't even take a shot when he has the chance.

I also agree with the three point shooting. Not sure if it's a coaching problem or player issue but the Celts are taking WAAAAY too many three pointers. On top of that, they're missing most of them. I think Pierce and Sheed are most guilty.

Pierce needs to pass more and Wallace needs to expand his game into the paint. There's absolutely no art in shooting threes and should only be a last resort or if we're up by 23 points.

Also, Garnett is not the defensive beast he was two years ago.
I understand the injury but he needs to adjust and adjust fast if we expect to win another championship.

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2716
Ray did some rim attacking in the first half too.  But yeh, Rondo attacking would have been nice.  They had the inside/out game working so nicely against the Jazz the other night, and seemed to be looking for it early last night, then went away from it.  I really think the Hawks physicality just wore down the Celts last night and they gave up trying to pound it in.

Pierce attacked the rim too, and then in the 4th, whenever we attacked the rim we got mugged and the refs looked the other way, so I can understand the threes in that sense.