Author Topic: free agents to target this summer  (Read 11873 times)

Re: free agents to target this summer
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 03:25:15 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
We won't have the money to sign either Marion or Gordon; the only realistic way we could bring them aboard would be a sign-and-trade using Ray Allen's expiring contract.  I wouldn't make that trade, especially for two guys with apparent attitude issues.

I'd be okay with a lot of the guys who should be cheaper.  Rasheed, McDyess, Anthony Parker, Zaza Puchulia, Brandon Bass, Joe Smith, Grant Hill, etc., etc. would all fit this team.

The only real weakness in next year's market seems to be backup point guard.  Bobby Jackson might not be bad.

I really doubt that many players get offers above the MLE this summer.  I've said it before, but:

1. The economy REALLY sucks
2. Teams that have cap space in 2009 are mostly the teams that are in the most trouble
3. No one wants to blow their 2010 cap space
4. Salary cap and luxury caps are coming down.

If Wyc opens the checkbook, I bet there will be a bunch of players looking at offers a LOT lower than they would have gotten just this past summer.  'Sheed, I think, is a 3 year/MLE guy.  I think he just needs to get out of Detroit, and playing with his best-bud KG, fighting for a title, first big off the bench is an ideal environment for him.  

Ben Gordon, I don't know..  he wants to get paid, but who's paying?  If you could get him, would you then turn around and trade Ray Allen?  Ray's expiring for 2010 AND can still help you win now; isn't his contract a huge asset?  I mean, I want to keep him, but if you could get someone like Gordon AND trade Ray Allen for someone really good, wouldn't you think about it?  

The C's may be looking to cut costs like everyone else, but I've got to believe they aren't hurting quite as bad as teams like Memphis.  Costs are high, but they sell tickets, they're selling merchandise.  If the franchise comes out of this economic turmoil with Banner #18 (and hopefully, #19), the value of the franchise goes up.  

They should be able to get some good talent - either to compete NOW ('Sheed) or maybe to extend the window (Gordon), if they're willing to take a little more financial risk.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Anyone else see the prediction that the 2010 cap could be around 50 million?  That would cripple teams with any veterans

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Let's also keep in mind that we have 8.8 expiring next season in Scalabrine, House and Tony Allen.

If New Jersey offerred Portland Vince Carter and two number one picks for Raef's contract, I would imagine we could move those three for an average player and a first rounder. Diaw & a Top 10 Pick? Barbosa & a First?
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Kidd and Hedo are also unrestricted FA´s.

They might sign for the MLE and a shot at a title.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's also keep in mind that we have 8.8 expiring next season in Scalabrine, House and Tony Allen.

If New Jersey offerred Portland Vince Carter and two number one picks for Raef's contract, I would imagine we could move those three for an average player and a first rounder. Diaw & a Top 10 Pick? Barbosa & a First?
House could opt not to return next year, he has that option. Also, Ray has an expiring contract of $18.7 million so the total expiring is $24.6 million and if Eddie does exercise his option to stay it will be $27.4 million. Also the C's could decide not to pick up the options on both Gidens and Walker which could amount to another $1.7 million.

If the Celtics get into some bad financial times they could dismantle this team and get close to the cap very quickly if they wanted to.

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

Aftering hearing the Boston fans chant wife-beater at him, I really doubt Jason "I'm a man because I beat my wife." Kidd will want to sign here.

Hedo won't sign for the MLE. His agent knows he has more value than that. Besides, why would he leave a contender to go to another contender?

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Kidd won't sign here because he's not going to want to sit on the bench behind Rondo.  Even if he's not a starter anymore (and he's getting close to being a backup), neither he nor Rondo can really slide over and play shooting guard, so it's not a good fit.

'Dre Miller and Bibby are both free agents, I believe.  There may be a bit of a glut of older, slowing-down PGs on the market, although same deal I don't see any of these guys in green.

'Sheed just makes way too much sense to me - or secondarily, McDyess.  Sheed needs a new address and I bet he'll be a lot better.  24 - 26 minutes a game, backing up KG and Perk.  Keep either Powe OR BBD.  Scal's the fifth big until he's traded.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 05:07:54 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

Aftering hearing the Boston fans chant wife-beater at him, I really doubt Jason "I'm a man because I beat my wife." Kidd will want to sign here.

Hedo won't sign for the MLE. His agent knows he has more value than that. Besides, why would he leave a contender to go to another contender?

I rather have Kidd than Marbury, and Hedo is not that young anymore and might take a long-term MLE deal. From what I´ve heard, Orlando has the worst financial situation in the league, and loses ~$20 million each year. Depending on how the economy stands then, it might be possible to get him.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:27:04 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
How big of a contract is Steve Nash going to demand on the market? He is aging and hasn't exactly proved himself in the playoffs. Maybe he could drill Rondo on free throw shooting.

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 05:19:25 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
It's not that our backup PG needs to be able to shoot, it's that you can't really play Rondo and Kidd together because NEITHER can shoot.  Our ideal backup PG is someone that can play the 1 for the 12 minutes a game that Rondo's on the bench, but also play at the 2 alongside Rondo.  Kidd's not going to sign with Boston to JUST play 12-15 minutes a game.  

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
How big of a contract is Steve Nash going to demand on the market? He is aging and hasn't exactly proved himself in the playoffs. Maybe he could drill Rondo on free throw shooting.

I thought he was a free agent in 2010?  The rumor was that New York was trying to get enough cap space to sign LeBron, another max player (Bosh?), and give Nash whatever was left (MLE, vet minimum, whatver) to run the show. 

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There's no way we should target a backup pg as our big acquisition next summer.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

I thought he was a free agent in 2010?  The rumor was that New York was trying to get enough cap space to sign LeBron, another max player (Bosh?), and give Nash whatever was left (MLE, vet minimum, whatver) to run the show. 

He is 2010, I'm getting ahead of myself, my mistake. He would be a great guy to have coming off the bench at that time though.

New York would be scary good if they managed to get all three of them.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
It's not that our backup PG needs to be able to shoot, it's that you can't really play Rondo and Kidd together because NEITHER can shoot.  Our ideal backup PG is someone that can play the 1 for the 12 minutes a game that Rondo's on the bench, but also play at the 2 alongside Rondo.  Kidd's not going to sign with Boston to JUST play 12-15 minutes a game.  

Well, now that I use my brain, that makes sense.  :-[

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
With the suns recent implosion on the roster I'd go after grant hill.  We will have a log jam at sg and I'm assuming someone from that bunch will be traded, actually pf we have a bit of log jam also.  But again Grant Hill backing up Pierce...nice.  I think anyone with 1/2 a brain wants out of the phoenix mess especially a vet.  Add shaquille to the list while we're at it.