Author Topic: 13 players ejected in brawl in FIBA qualifying game (including Thon Maker)  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
What a move by maker!
I did not know he was australian

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Wow an actual fight which almost never happens in NBA
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:09:42 PM by rondofan1255 »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Pretty hilarious.  Phila player was dirty, Thon just defending his guys.  Good for him.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Andray Blatche right in the middle of it. Weird.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That entire scrum is nuts. But when you see two elbows straight to the face in a blow out no surprise it got bad quick.

Epic brawl in Australia-Philippines FIBA match
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Wow. This is a baseball-worthy brawl.

From ESPN: Punches were thrown and chairs hurled as a fistfight broke out during the Philippines’ FIBA World Cup qualifying match against Australia. Andray Blatche and Thon Maker were among those involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36WkifMl8zQ

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Epic brawl in Australia-Philippines FIBA match
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Thon Maker's flying kick is everything!
and the background people lowkey stomped the crap out of someone

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Thon should be reeled in..

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
That entire scrum is nuts. But when you see two elbows straight to the face in a blow out no surprise it got bad quick.

It wasn't an elbow. I was there. watch 2:30 of the video for the closeup replay. The Filipino player felt contact, tried looking for a shot then passed it out. From afar you would think that's an elbow. 2 was a collision, and what you see as an elbow is actually guys pushing each other away after a collision. It always happen. Aussie fell to the ground (successfully drew the charge he wanted) but teammates thought there was foul play. Kickert then proceeded to Smack the other guy's head. And after that everything is a fiasco.

Things got out of hand really fast and while I don't think players should be fighting, I think you coud admire both Blatche and Maker for trying to stand up for their teammates. (of course you know I think Maker is dirty after the shenanigans he pulled in our series)

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
More than 2 weeks later FIBA finally imposes sanctions.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-boomers-and-philippines-players-handed-fines-and-bans-by-fiba-for-on-court-brawl/news-story/58d13a7888a359619288ec2d42ec3d1a

Australia Sanctions

3 players suspended and fines imposed. Below player/coach name and number of games suspended

Chris Goulding
    1 game

Thon Maker
    3 games

Daniel Kickert
    5 games

Basketball Australia
    Fined $135,000

Philippines Sanctions

13 players and 2 coaches suspended, fines issued and bans for officials - below the player/coach name and number of games suspended

Japeth Aguilar
    1 game

Matthew Wright
    1 game

Terence Romeo
    3 games

Jayson Castro William
    3 games

Andray Blatche
    3 games

Jeth Rosario
    3 games

Roger Pogoy
    5 games

Carl Cruz
    5 games

Jio Jalalon
    5 games

Calvin Abueva
    6 games

Assistant Coach Joseph Uichico
    3 games

Head Coach Vincent ‘Chot’ Reyes
    1 game and $13,500 fine

Philippines' national federation
    Fined $340,000 and 3 years probation

The referees copped it worse than anyone, getting suspended for a year.

Barely even a slap on the wrist considering how some carried on, including throwing a chair which hit a player in the head. I'm no fan of Chris Goulding but it's a disgrace he gets a suspension after getting pinned to the ground and stomped on. I wouldn't have objected to Kickert getting a longer suspension.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Watched the game live on tv right here in Manila.

Disgraceful. Truly an international embarrassment to both countries.  Sports, particularly basketball, was the victim.

Blatche could've turned hero by stopping the brawl by simply separating the players involved. Unfortunately, he, and eventually almost all members of either side, forgot the meaning of self-restraint and national pride.

Both countries are now (most likely the Philippines is out in the running for the FIBA Qualifier) at risk losing their chances of moving up for the Qualifier.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Punches were thrown and chairs hurled as a fistfight broke out during the Philippines’ FIBA World Cup qualifying match against Australia.

This fight was comical, Thon's karate/soccer kicks, a good fighter would have cleaned up with those guys.  I was laughing as I watched, this fight.  Notice no one got hurt because these guys had no idea what they were doing.  It was very generous of the reporter to call those punches...

That being said, this has no place in the world of basketball.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
"Philippines' national federation, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, Inc (SBP), is sanctioned for the unsportsmanlike behavior of its delegation members and of its public, as well as for insufficient organization of the game," the statement read. "Philippines will play the next home game behind closed doors while a ban for two more home games has been placed under a probationary period of 3 years. SBP shall also pay a disciplinary fine of CHF 250,000."

"Basketball Australia shall pay a disciplinary fine of CHF 100,000 for the unsportsmanlike behavior of its players and for abusing and/or tampering of equipment, after having removed floor stickers from the court on the eve of the game," FIBA said.

Yeah, no one's innocent here. One of the players who is a friend of mine swore to me that there were racist remarks during the shootaround.