Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 64009 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wonder if Grizz would trade the pick (if 7 or 8) to C's to avoid having to give up the future pick promised?

In terms of the tank and rebuild and the weak draft it may make sense. C's may prefer the high first now for trade ammo.
If the Celtics/Grizz wanted to they could do a trade/agreement to remove the protection and get the pick this year.

Multiple credible Boston beat reporters and multiple credible national reporters have stated the Celtics Organization does not want the pick this year.

I do not get why people seem to doubt that the C's Org. would rather have the pick roll over STILL.

« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2019, 09:37:44 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Man people really think Valanciunas is better than or close to Gasol? Must be huffing some of the wage of wins metrics.

I don't look at the talent on that roster and think its likely that they have more wins next year. Just looking at the west every team but the Pelicans/Suns would be ahead of them in my predictions. And that's without trading Conley! I just don't see a playoff team in Memphis for a few years.

The expected value of the pick if it rolls over is clearly higher. Now maybe you don't want to take that risk, but given that we have 3 other picks this upcoming draft (including one in the same ballpark) I'm more than happy to take that risk.
First, they are tied for the 2nd worst record in the west this year, and still might end up as only the 9th worst team.  Second, it is way too early to know what teams will look like next year.  I mean I could easily envision a scenario where the Clippers are a terrible team.  I don't know that Dallas is going to be all that good either.  Minnesota and Sacramento could easily take steps back.  Memphis might find some real good value in a Conley trade and might hit the lottery and end up with a pretty decent squad. 

Lots of things can happen that make Memphis transfer a pick that is not a top ten pick next year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830818-mike-conley-says-hes-not-interested-in-grizzlies-rebuild-amid-trade-rumors

I would be absolutely shocked if they aren't garbage next year. In summary the Grizzlies want to convey this pick because they know they will be garbage. The Celtics dont want the pick because they know the Grizzlies will be garbage. Mike Conley basically said "I'm out" because he knows the Grizzlies will be garbage. The Grizzles just fired their Coach and GM  because they were and will continue to be garbage. This is the beginning of a rebuild. Whats the worst case scenario? they get to like 12th or 13th next year and we get a pick 3 or 4 slots later while avoiding  having to fit 4 rookies onto the team next year? And given the way things appear to be heading I'd say thats the less likely outcome than an unprotected pick in 21.

I've heard this a lot, and maybe it's true, but there's at least one question mark. If they wanted the pick to convey this year, they should have been trying to win their last six games - especially the games against Dallas, which were very winnable and would count twice by pushing Dallas down further. Memphis' injury list for those games was long, and included their best players. Some of the listings I assume were legit, but probably their very best player, Conley, was listed as day-to-day for each of the last six games and CBS reported he could have played. Always very hard to know why teams list players the way they do, but man that's suspicious. They lost a very winnable, key, game against Dallas (in overtime) and then dropped a huge lead against Detroit. Win either of those games and they would be sitting in the ninth spot, in great position for the pick to convey.

Your entire point does not fit the narrative though.

so TP-

Yeah. Maybe I butchered it. I was trying to say that although I am reading that Memphis really wanted the pick to convey, what they did suggests they did not care all that much - or even that they wanted to keep the pick.

It all depends on whether that long, long injury list was genuine or, as CBS sports reported, Conley at least could have played. Obviously I can't say which it was, but it sure is suspicious.

« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2019, 09:39:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wonder if Grizz would trade the pick (if 7 or 8) to C's to avoid having to give up the future pick promised?

In terms of the tank and rebuild and the weak draft it may make sense. C's may prefer the high first now for trade ammo.
If the Celtics/Grizz wanted to they could do a trade/agreement to remove the protection and get the pick this year.

Multiple credible Boston beat reporters and multiple credible national reporters have stated the Celtics Organization does not want the pick this year.

I do not get why people seem to doubt that the C's Org. would rather have the pick roll over STILL.
Even if you are correct, not wanting the pick at 9 or worse, doesn't mean they might not be ok with the pick at 7, especially since 7 is the best they can do next year if it conveys.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Even if you are correct, not wanting the pick at 9 or worse, doesn't mean they might not be ok with the pick at 7, especially since 7 is the best they can do next year if it conveys.

If they throw in Wright in the deal too....then absolutely.

I know that wright cannot be traded until the 29th of June, but a 3 way deal.

Memphis pick (Should it land in the 5-7 range)
Wright
Miles

for

Rozier S&T
perhaps a second rounder for a little more incentive if needed.

Memphis gets their pick back, adds a young PG that will allow them to trade off Conley for wing upgrades.

Tatum, Memphis pick (5-7), Clipper Pick, CJ Miles, Boston 2nd rounder, Boston 2021 First, Williams, Yabusele,

for

Davis

Irving/Wright
Smart/Brown
Hayward/Sacramento Pick
Horford/Theis
Davis/Baynes

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Wright
Miles

for

Rozier S&T

Memphis gets their pick back, adds a young PG that will allow them to trade off Conley for wing upgrades.

Tatum, Memphis pick (5-7), Clipper Pick, CJ Miles, Boston 2nd rounder, Boston 2021 First, Williams, Yabusele,

for

Davis

Irving/Wright
Smart/Brown
Hayward/Sacramento Pick
Horford/Theis
Davis/Baynes
Regarding your Memphis trade, it's impossible.
1. Wright is a free agent and can't be traded for.
2. Even if traded for just Miles a sign and trade with Rozier doesn't work.
3. Miles still has an option on his contract, which he probably does opt into but isn't a given if he finds out about a possible trade and doesn't want to go to New Orleans.

You really probably should research your trades before posting your ideas. You keep putting a signed and traded Rozier into trades and they don't work.

And I am sorry, I do not accept an explanation that Ainge can just find any team with cap space to use in a 3 way. If you believe that, find that team in your research, explain why Rozier would want to go to that team, explain why that team gets involved and find that other player that is going out.

« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Wright
Miles

for

Rozier S&T

for

Davis

Irving/Wright
Smart/Brown
Hayward/Sacramento Pick
Horford/Theis
Davis/Baynes
3. Miles still has an option on his contract, which he probably does opt into but isn't a given if he finds out about a possible trade and doesn't want to go to New Orleans.

You really probably should research your trades before posting your ideas. You keep putting a signed and traded Rozier into trades and they don't work.

And I am sorry, I do not accept an explanation that Ainge can just find any team with cap space to use in a 3 way. If you believe that, find that team in your research, explain why Rozier would want to go to that team, explain why that team gets involved and find that other player that is going out.

those are just details we can ignore  ;)

« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Man people really think Valanciunas is better than or close to Gasol? Must be huffing some of the wage of wins metrics.

I don't look at the talent on that roster and think its likely that they have more wins next year. Just looking at the west every team but the Pelicans/Suns would be ahead of them in my predictions. And that's without trading Conley! I just don't see a playoff team in Memphis for a few years.

The expected value of the pick if it rolls over is clearly higher. Now maybe you don't want to take that risk, but given that we have 3 other picks this upcoming draft (including one in the same ballpark) I'm more than happy to take that risk.
First, they are tied for the 2nd worst record in the west this year, and still might end up as only the 9th worst team.  Second, it is way too early to know what teams will look like next year.  I mean I could easily envision a scenario where the Clippers are a terrible team.  I don't know that Dallas is going to be all that good either.  Minnesota and Sacramento could easily take steps back.  Memphis might find some real good value in a Conley trade and might hit the lottery and end up with a pretty decent squad. 

Lots of things can happen that make Memphis transfer a pick that is not a top ten pick next year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830818-mike-conley-says-hes-not-interested-in-grizzlies-rebuild-amid-trade-rumors

I would be absolutely shocked if they aren't garbage next year. In summary the Grizzlies want to convey this pick because they know they will be garbage. The Celtics dont want the pick because they know the Grizzlies will be garbage. Mike Conley basically said "I'm out" because he knows the Grizzlies will be garbage. The Grizzles just fired their Coach and GM  because they were and will continue to be garbage. This is the beginning of a rebuild. Whats the worst case scenario? they get to like 12th or 13th next year and we get a pick 3 or 4 slots later while avoiding  having to fit 4 rookies onto the team next year? And given the way things appear to be heading I'd say thats the less likely outcome than an unprotected pick in 21.

I've heard this a lot, and maybe it's true, but there's at least one question mark. If they wanted the pick to convey this year, they should have been trying to win their last six games - especially the games against Dallas, which were very winnable and would count twice by pushing Dallas down further. Memphis' injury list for those games was long, and included their best players. Some of the listings I assume were legit, but probably their very best player, Conley, was listed as day-to-day for each of the last six games and CBS reported he could have played. Always very hard to know why teams list players the way they do, but man that's suspicious. They lost a very winnable, key, game against Dallas (in overtime) and then dropped a huge lead against Detroit. Win either of those games and they would be sitting in the ninth spot, in great position for the pick to convey.

so TP-

Yeah. Maybe I butchered it. I was trying to say that although I am reading that Memphis really wanted the pick to convey, what they did suggests they did not care all that much - or even that they wanted to keep the pick.

It all depends on whether that long, long injury list was genuine or, as CBS sports reported, Conley at least could have played. Obviously I can't say which it was, but it sure is suspicious.

Its been pretty widely reported that the grizz wanted to convey the pick, both at the local level and on podcasts like Zach Lowes.

I'm not sure what you think they did that suggests they weren't trying to win. They had a long injury list, but they were mostly legit season ending type stuff at least in the case of JV, JJJ and Kyle Anderson. Avery Bradley and Chandler are always injured, can't be a surprise they weren't playing. The only guy you can argue could or should have played is Conley, but the guy is on the trade block and the Grizx weren't gonna torpedo his value risking another injury. As it turned out they were 1 win away from cementing the 9th position, they beat teams like Houton down the stretch

They were clearly trying to win, they were just very bad and very injured. Which is a great argument for wanting that pick to roll over. If they were trying this year and finished tied at 7th, how are they gonna look next year without Conley.

« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

This could be true. All things equal if you can get the same pick a year earlier you probably do it. I don't think the Celtucs  would however. Even the potential of an unprotected pick that could be top4 is a lit to give up. Then you have the added factors that the C's already have 3 firsts this year, and that early reports seem to think the 21 draft will be better than the 19 or 20 draft. Also from what I've read not a lot of difference 4-12 in this draft. I think the C's would be happy have the pick roll over and roll the dice.

« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
The Grizzlies dismissed coach J.B. Bickerstaff and reassigned GM Chris Wallace to a scouting capacity in the front office, league sources tell ESPN. VP John Hollinger will also move into a senior advisory role.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1116429931225976833

^Bad news if the pick doesn't convey this year.  :P

Wht? I think it's good news. Coaching turnover especially seems to make it more likely they will take a step back next year. Broader organizational turnover seems to signal they might be ready to move on from Conley as well.

Yeah the coaching change really crushed the bucks, raptors and detroit this past season.

And front office changes crippled the clippers moving forward

Well considering that Toronto actually did win fewer games, Detroit managed two more wins despite an entire extra half a season from a all nba forward Blake Griffin and Mil went from the worst coach in the league to the best (arguably) and also has an mvp on this team, I'm not sure what your point is.

« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2019, 02:01:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

The Grizzlies dismissed coach J.B. Bickerstaff and reassigned GM Chris Wallace to a scouting capacity in the front office, league sources tell ESPN. VP John Hollinger will also move into a senior advisory role.

Wht? I think it's good news. Coaching turnover especially seems to make it more likely they will take a step back next year. Broader organizational turnover seems to signal they might be ready to move on from Conley as well.

Yeah the coaching change really crushed the bucks, raptors and detroit this past season.

Well considering that Toronto actually did win fewer games, Detroit managed two more wins despite an entire extra half a season from a all nba forward Blake Griffin and Mil went from the worst coach in the league to the best (arguably) and also has an mvp on this team, I'm not sure what your point is.

You also ignored that the suns, hawks, Knicks, Cavs and even these Grizzlies finished this year finished this year with a different coach than started with the previous year you might recognize those as 4/5 worst teams in the league.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:13:59 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This could be true. All things equal if you can get the same pick a year earlier you probably do it. I don't think the Celtucs  would however. Even the potential of an unprotected pick that could be top4 is a lit to give up. Then you have the added factors that the C's already have 3 firsts this year, and that early reports seem to think the 21 draft will be better than the 19 or 20 draft. Also from what I've read not a lot of difference 4-12 in this draft. I think the C's would be happy have the pick roll over and roll the dice.
2 lottery picks might allow Boston to move up in the draft though if they are sold on someone that another team may not be sold on. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #476 on: April 12, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

2 lottery picks might allow Boston to move up in the draft though if they are sold on someone that another team may not be sold on.

Maybe. But if that were the case I'd assume they'd want the pick to convey, and according to reporting they don't.

« Reply #477 on: April 12, 2019, 02:44:46 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

so TP-

Its been pretty widely reported that the grizz wanted to convey the pick, both at the local level and on podcasts like Zach Lowes.

I'm not sure what you think they did that suggests they weren't trying to win. They had a long injury list, but they were mostly legit season ending type stuff at least in the case of JV, JJJ and Kyle Anderson. Avery Bradley and Chandler are always injured, can't be a surprise they weren't playing. The only guy you can argue could or should have played is Conley, but the guy is on the trade block and the Grizx weren't gonna torpedo his value risking another injury. As it turned out they were 1 win away from cementing the 9th position, they beat teams like Houton down the stretch

They were clearly trying to win, they were just very bad and very injured. Which is a great argument for wanting that pick to roll over. If they were trying this year and finished tied at 7th, how are they gonna look next year without Conley.

It's a black box, I think. Conley is the main reason for my suspicion; he was listed day-to-day for something like two weeks.  They don't usually do that; other players with more serious injuries were given different designations.

Given that two wins over Dallas would have put them in ninth, and even in prospect that was pretty likely, they had to know not playing him risked keeping the pick. In fact, it may be the reason the pick does not convey. Did they have a choice? I don't know. Can't know. You're right that Conley has been gimpy - so maybe they didn't want to risk him. But we all know that NBA franchises play games with injuries sometimes.

I'll just say this - if they really didn't care all that much about whether the pick conveyed or actually wanted to keep it, not playing guys who were dinged up but really could play is exactly what they would do. At this point in the season almost everybody has some little nagging ache or strain they could cite if they wanted.

« Reply #478 on: April 12, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

You also ignored that the suns, hawks, Knicks, Cavs and even these Grizzlies finished this year finished this year with a different coach than started with the previous year you might recognize those as 4/5 worst teams in the league.

well,

Suns have terrible talent.

Hawks are in a complete rebuild, I think they performed well considering talent, fun team to watch. I dont think Bud had them winning any more games.

Casey did a fantastic job in Detroit, he is changing that whole system and integrating new players into it.

Knicks and Cavs have blatantly tanked all year with inferior talent.

« Reply #479 on: April 12, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Wright
Miles

for

Rozier S&T

for

Davis

Irving/Wright
Smart/Brown
Hayward/Sacramento Pick
Horford/Theis
Davis/Baynes

1) Dual sign and trade.
2 and 3) Does work assuming that Miles opts in (not sure why he would opt out, as he will get playing time in Memphis and boost his value for 1 last contract.

Lastly, teams make moves with their capspace all the time, it is perfectly reasonable to assume that danny can find a team that would make a sign and trade happen, in fact, team doesnt even NEED capspace, only a desire for, in this instance, terry rozier. And yes I know that sign and trade with teams over the cap are difficult, but that is the word isnt it, difficult, not impossible.