Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 64117 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #435 on: April 10, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
Looks like we wait for the tiebreaker lottery results now.

« Reply #436 on: April 10, 2019, 09:44:30 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Grizzlies third stringer, Jevon Carter (2018 - 2nd rd West Virginia) has 22 points against GSW.

Making a last minute ROY push.

GSW starters are back at the hotel...Grizz up by 24.

Spurs are putting the smack on Dallas....which actually makes sense for them.

« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2019, 10:25:56 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Looks like we wait for the tiebreaker lottery results now.

Yep. And then the lottery after that. Memphis could land 9th and still land in the top four on the lottery draw.

« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Welp, pretty much everything has went against us tonight:

Smart hurt and out for several weeks

Memphis won and Dallas lost, making a three way tie for number seven

Both Miami and Charlotte lost, meaning if Sacramento wins tonight against a Lillard/McCollum-less Blazers team then we'll get the 14th pick

Yeah, terrible night for Celtics fans.

« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2019, 10:57:16 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Both Miami and Charlotte lost, meaning if Sacramento wins tonight against a Lillard/McCollum-less Blazers team then we'll get the 14th pick

I mean I wouldn't say terrible. Theres not a lot of difference in expected value between the 12th and 14th pick in the draft. It would be nice for the MEM pick to role over, but the worst case scenario is we trade Jeff Green for the ninth pick in the draft.

The Marcus Smart news is terrible, but at least we are deep. Jaylen will have to step up.

« Reply #440 on: April 11, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I mean I wouldn't say terrible. Theres not a lot of difference in expected value between the 12th and 14th pick in the draft. It would be nice for the MEM pick to role over, but the worst case scenario is we trade Jeff Green for the ninth pick in the draft.

The Marcus Smart news is terrible, but at least we are deep. Jaylen will have to step up.

Yeah. I think the pick is more valuable if it rolls over but not that much more valuable. Pick #9 isn't bad.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

It could be lower than 9 though ... 10, 11, 12.  Not super likely, and a lot depends on the drawing.  But, 9 is not the worst case.

« Reply #442 on: April 11, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It could be lower than 9 though ... 10, 11, 12.  Not super likely, and a lot depends on the drawing.  But, 9 is not the worst case.

Yeah, the worst case would be if the pick doesn't convey at all this year, Memphis decides to keep Conley, Valanciunas opts in, Bradley continues to regain his form from his Celtics days, and Jackson takes a step forward in his 2nd season.  There's still a good chance Memphis could end up conveying a non-lottery pick in that scenario.

Which has been the whole point of contention as to the valuation of this pick, and whether or not it'd be better for it to convey this year or not.  And this is what the people who think the pick is more valuable if it rolls over are failing to consider.  You take the top 10 pick when you can get it, especially when the future direction of the team conveying the pick is highly volatile and could go either way.  Sure, maybe Memphis bottoms out and we end up with a really nice pick in 2021, but it's more likely that we end up with a pick lower than what we likely stand to get if the pick conveys this year.

« Reply #443 on: April 11, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Man people really think Valanciunas is better than or close to Gasol? Must be huffing some of the wage of wins metrics.

I don't look at the talent on that roster and think its likely that they have more wins next year. Just looking at the west every team but the Pelicans/Suns would be ahead of them in my predictions. And that's without trading Conley! I just don't see a playoff team in Memphis for a few years.

The expected value of the pick if it rolls over is clearly higher. Now maybe you don't want to take that risk, but given that we have 3 other picks this upcoming draft (including one in the same ballpark) I'm more than happy to take that risk.

« Reply #444 on: April 11, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Man people really think Valanciunas is better than or close to Gasol? Must be huffing some of the wage of wins metrics.

I don't look at the talent on that roster and think its likely that they have more wins next year. Just looking at the west every team but the Pelicans/Suns would be ahead of them in my predictions. And that's without trading Conley! I just don't see a playoff team in Memphis for a few years.

The expected value of the pick if it rolls over is clearly higher. Now maybe you don't want to take that risk, but given that we have 3 other picks this upcoming draft (including one in the same ballpark) I'm more than happy to take that risk.

I think a a 26 year old Jonas, while not as good a defender and not as good of a passer, is going to give you as much on that team as 34 year old marc gasol will give that team.

« Reply #445 on: April 11, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

Yeah, the worst case would be if the pick doesn't convey at all this year, Memphis decides to keep Conley, Valanciunas opts in, Bradley continues to regain his form from his Celtics days, and Jackson takes a step forward in his 2nd season.  There's still a good chance Memphis could end up conveying a non-lottery pick in that scenario.

Which has been the whole point of contention as to the valuation of this pick, and whether or not it'd be better for it to convey this year or not.  And this is what the people who think the pick is more valuable if it rolls over are failing to consider.  You take the top 10 pick when you can get it, especially when the future direction of the team conveying the pick is highly volatile and could go either way.  Sure, maybe Memphis bottoms out and we end up with a really nice pick in 2021, but it's more likely that we end up with a pick lower than what we likely stand to get if the pick conveys this year.

I don't know about taking the top 10 pick when you can get it.  Let's look back on Ainge's decision to add top 5 protection to the Lakers pick last year, which became the Kings pick.  Had Ainge not had that protection we would've had the 10th pick last year ... I'd say it was worth the shot at a top pick (other than 1) to add that protection as opposed to taking Bridges at 10.  Can anyone for sure say that the guy we get at maybe 14 this year will be much worse than Bridges at 10?

I don't think that a #10 pick generally moves the needle much more than a pick a bit lower (we know Memphis won't be a top playoff team in the next 2 years).  But, a 1-3 pick is franchise changing.  We want that franchise-changing pick at all costs.

« Reply #446 on: April 11, 2019, 02:15:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

First, they are tied for the 2nd worst record in the west this year, and still might end up as only the 9th worst team.  Second, it is way too early to know what teams will look like next year.  I mean I could easily envision a scenario where the Clippers are a terrible team.  I don't know that Dallas is going to be all that good either.  Minnesota and Sacramento could easily take steps back.  Memphis might find some real good value in a Conley trade and might hit the lottery and end up with a pretty decent squad. 

Lots of things can happen that make Memphis transfer a pick that is not a top ten pick next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #447 on: April 11, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

lol...

Like, did you even bother to watch Valanciunas play at all this year?  And I never said he was better than Gasol.  But the team played better with JV, that is an undeniable fact.

He is much younger, and at this point in their careers, clearly a better scorer.  Dude averaged 19 and 9 in the games he played for Memphis, and had a positive +/-, along with the fact the team won at a notably higher clip with him in the lineup.  He was a per-36 beast in Toronto this year, regardless of whether he started or came off the bench.

Like, I seriously have to laugh at the people that dismiss JV.

The pick is not more valuable as a trade asset if it rolls over.

« Reply #448 on: April 11, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think a a 26 year old Jonas, while not as good a defender and not as good of a passer, is going to give you as much on that team as 34 year old marc gasol will give that team.
Enes Kanter is 26 too, Monroe is only 28. Jonas is another of that type of player, a plodding C who doesn't shoot.

Slow footed centers who can't defend need to be really great at everything else to be much of a positive player. Jonas is a nice rebounder but he doesn't do enough anywhere else.

« Reply #449 on: April 11, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

lol...

Like, did you even bother to watch Valanciunas play at all this year?  And I never said he was better than Gasol.  But the team played better with JV, that is an undeniable fact.
Sure did.

There is a reason why the Raptors were at their best playing Serge/Pascal at C. He just doesn't move the needle given his deficiencies.

With the Grizzlies he certainly put up solid numbers, but overall he's mostly empty calories. A better Kanter is still a meh player.