Author Topic: Departed Players  (Read 4740 times)

Re: Departed Players
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 08:41:50 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Deciding to play for his home country through an international sporting event over his professional team in the US and blowing his ACL there didn't sit well with me. Irritating that he's now putting up numbers for his new team, while the C's are (currently) struggling to get points off the bench.

I was really disappointed that Gallinari got injured, I think he was going to be a great fit, just what we needed, but I don't blame him at all.  Lots of players participate in that tournament.

If you think about Gallinari, if we had him, it may have changed the whole line up.  It would have been a big change to our big depth/rotation.  We probably play the traditional 2-big game over starting White.

As to the others, I am most surprised by Grant's first game.  I did not stay up and watch the whole thing but he put up some decent points for them.  I am not sure he keeps that up but a really good start and good start for DAL overall.

As to Smart, Brogdon, and RWill, I am expecting all of them to play well, they are good players.  I look at this as we gave up quite a bit to get Porzingis and Holiday.  And I also agree that I really like the Porzingis trade even though I am a big Marcus Smart guy.  You can already see what a difference it makes to have that kind of skill at a big position.  As to Holiday, I like the player, but I felt we gave up a lot, just like when we got White.  It took White a while to fully integrate.  Holiday was fine but nothing special in the first game.  I think we need to give Holiday some time.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2023, 08:56:58 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3207
Deciding to play for his home country through an international sporting event over his professional team in the US and blowing his ACL there didn't sit well with me. Irritating that he's now putting up numbers for his new team, while the C's are (currently) struggling to get points off the bench.

I was really disappointed that Gallinari got injured, I think he was going to be a great fit, just what we needed, but I don't blame him at all.  Lots of players participate in that tournament.

If you think about Gallinari, if we had him, it may have changed the whole line up.  It would have been a big change to our big depth/rotation.  We probably play the traditional 2-big game over starting White.

As to the others, I am most surprised by Grant's first game.  I did not stay up and watch the whole thing but he put up some decent points for them.  I am not sure he keeps that up but a really good start and good start for DAL overall.

As to Smart, Brogdon, and RWill, I am expecting all of them to play well, they are good players.  I look at this as we gave up quite a bit to get Porzingis and Holiday.  And I also agree that I really like the Porzingis trade even though I am a big Marcus Smart guy.  You can already see what a difference it makes to have that kind of skill at a big position.  As to Holiday, I like the player, but I felt we gave up a lot, just like when we got White.  It took White a while to fully integrate.  Holiday was fine but nothing special in the first game.  I think we need to give Holiday some time.

Holiday shutting down Randle was amazing.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 08:59:47 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I wished we d kept Gallo ….that made no sense , all that rehab and he was looking great , now we don’t have squat for backups . He was all in on Boston too.   
 Very poor move on cbs

He was part of the trade to acquire Porzingis.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2023, 09:21:40 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
I wished we d kept Gallo ….that made no sense , all that rehab and he was looking great , now we don’t have squat for backups . He was all in on Boston too.   
 Very poor move on cbs

He was part of the trade to acquire Porzingis.

Yeah, we needed to include him to match salaries. I'm sure Brad would have preferred keeping him, too
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2023, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3207
How many wins did the departed players get?

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2023, 12:20:25 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Don't think I'll ever get used to seeing Marcus and Rob in another uniform:

https://sports.yahoo.com/marcus-smart-robert-williams-ex-144106689.html

I love how this article ends with a link to a video showing Doncic telling Grant to stop complaining to officials. LOL. I don't miss that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2023, 01:06:38 PM »

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

Grant Williams won, and you can argue they wouldn't have won without him since it was a pretty close game. Blazers got thumped but pretty hard to expect Rob Williams or Brogdon to carry that blazers team to many wins themselves. Same thing with Galinari on the wizards. I do think Smart can swing games for the Grizzlies and they have talent to compete, especially once Morant is back. For the most part though wins are not going to be a good way of measuring whether these guys are playing well.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 02:44:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 03:51:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402
Our former players played pretty well last night.

Smart:  17 points, 3 assists, 6-for-11
Timelord:10 points, 7 rebounds, 5-for-7
Brogdon: 20 points, 5 assists, 8-for-16
Grant: 17 points, 6 rebounds, 6-for-11
Gallinari: 16 points, 3 rebounds, 4-for-7 

It will be interesting to assess Brad's trades at the end of the season.

I am glad for the former players doing well, just a note on Smart he had a good game, but did also have 5 TO's

TBH the only one that irritates me a little is Gallinari.  Too bad he wasn't doing that for the C's last year.   I hope all of them do well.

I can't blame him for that. Non-Americans take a lot of pride in playing for their countries. It's just Americans that don't care as much.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2023, 05:01:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978

Grant Williams won, and you can argue they wouldn't have won without him since it was a pretty close game. Blazers got thumped but pretty hard to expect Rob Williams or Brogdon to carry that blazers team to many wins themselves. Same thing with Galinari on the wizards. I do think Smart can swing games for the Grizzlies and they have talent to compete, especially once Morant is back. For the most part though wins are not going to be a good way of measuring whether these guys are playing well.

None of these guys wil  have the type of game KP had against the Knicks . And none of them a a go to closer guy at the end of a game.  It’s going to be hard to double or triple team Tatum and KP with seconds on the clock.

We replaced four Chevys with a Ferrari.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2023, 05:11:13 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1847

None of these guys wil  have the type of game KP had against the Knicks . And none of them a a go to closer guy at the end of a game.  It’s going to be hard to double or triple team Tatum and KP with seconds on the clock.

Spot on!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2023, 05:12:27 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

Spot on!

I disagree.  I’d say we got two Ferraris for our Chevys, not one!

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2023, 11:45:55 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1847

Spot on!

I disagree.  I’d say we got two Ferraris for our Chevys, not one!

Agree!   Wasn't thinking.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2023, 11:05:43 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 546
I think Grant will help Dallas a lot. Great acquisition by them. Regarding the other guys all good players, but Porzingis, as we're seeing is terrific. 

I guess Wyc said in an interview this week that he sat through that 2nd half of Game 7 vs Miami and came to the conclusion that something needed to change - then 2 days later met with Brad and Mazzulla and told them the same thing.  So maybe the moves this offseason weren't all Brad's doing.

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2023, 04:27:20 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I agree with Shaqaryack’s comments:

The Porzingis and Holiday trades weren’t made for regular season wins - although they clearly will help win those games.

These two trades were made for closing big games down the stretch in the playoffs.

That starting five of Porzingis, Tatum, Brown, Holiday and White is incredibly difficult to guard and if you switch Horford for one White it remains equally difficult just a bigger, ought and longer match up problem.

Holiday and Porzingis excel in the pick and roll and matched with Tatum it is outstanding.

I would have loved us to keep Grant because he could have taken over the Marcus Smart role of defensive tough guy and his versatility is valuable. That’s the one that I hated the most.

Porzingis, Horford, Grant, Tatum, Brown, White and Holiday would’ve have a really strong seven.

But again, we’re only going to play five guys down the stretch of games - so if we more healthy these trades were championship move trades.

I hope to see three things happen from here:

1. After that first six gets enough burn early on in the season to solidly chemistry, we starting utilizing our bench more (From Queta, Brissett and Lamar Stevens, to Hauser, Pritchard and Svi). Just use them enough to Keep the first six guys minutes all around 30-34 minutes per night.

2. We pick up someone via trade or the buyout market that matters to give us a little more depth come playoff time.

3. One guy I’ve wanted for a long time now on this team is Andre Drummond. I know he’s an older school center - but you could run a Dwight Howard offense around him him with any combination or Porzingis or Horford if you wanted to go big or Tatum, Brown, Holiday and White if you wanted to go smaller.

He’d be a great big body to throw at centers like Embiid and Jokic and he still rebounds, runs the floor and protects the rim well. He can also do a few things on the pick and roll and in ISO in the post.

I would already be talking to Chicago on a potential trade for him using some draft picks. Let him know we want him.

Then we could focus our buyout/trade deadline draft picks or trade exceptions on wing depth.

Pets ok balky I would offer a first round pick for Drummond right now - this team does not need first round picks over the next 3-4 years or longer- we need solid role players on hood contracts that can help us win championships today.