Author Topic: Official NBA 2k8 Information/General 2k8 stuff Thread  (Read 43893 times)

Official NBA 2k8 Information/General 2k8 stuff Thread
« on: August 31, 2007, 02:09:45 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I made this thread before, but it was lost when BBW went through downtime, but there's some new info out:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/817/817122p1.html

It begins with the rebuilt AI. The new AI is deadly against those who have zero hoops knowledge. If your idea of a basketball game is constantly driving to the hole, no matter who's handling the rock and who's standing in their way, then you're in for a rude awakening. NBA 2K8 will punish those who make foolish plays. The AI takes advantage of aggressiveness. Dribble too much and the AI will strip you. Drive down the lane every possession and you'll find a big man will start stepping up to take the charge and knock you on your ass.

Play smart hoops and you will be rewarded. The defense properly collapses when Shaq gets the ball in deep. And the AI, now often seen moving without the ball, will likely set Dwyane Wade behind the arc. Pass out of the triple-team and Wade is left wide open. Players such as Wade and Nash, who rarely miss those open shots, aren't going to miss them in 2K8. Think about it. How often have you seen Nash find spacing and drain a wide-open shot? All the time. He's almost automatic. But in most hoops games, soulless mathematics are used to determine an artificial probability of that little orange ball going through the hoop. And too often that ball clanks. I've seen first hand that if Nash pulls up and no one is around him, in 2K8, he's banging that home.

At the same time, the 2K team realized that there are some players who can drive into traffic and will the ball into the hoops. Kobe, KG, Agent Zero. Whether it's pushing through and slamming a dunk over a defender or finding a way to teardrop the ball through the hoop, some players just have a knack for draining clutch shots in traffic. Those players now have a specific rating in NBA 2K8, so that once impossible shots can sometimes be possible. That isn't to say you won't see harsh rejections of even the most dominant players, but no longer is every player treated as equal with a defender's hand in his face.

I like the sound of everything in these 3 paragraphs.

Things are a little more sophisticated away from the paint as well. Each player now has a rating judging how good they are shooting off the dribble. Kobe may just be one of the very best in this category. How often do we see an awkward jumpshot off a dribble drained by Kobe? NBA 2K8 recognizes there are some players better at setting their feet and shooting and others that have a gift for dropping shots on the move. Again, all of this is meant to better individuate NBA players. You want Tony Parker to play differently than Leandro Barbosa. You want Nash and Dirk to both be highly-skilled but different to control. From the game I played of NBA 2K8, that dream is closer to reality than it has been in a long time for Visual Concepts.

Nice addition, good to see that they're adding more in-depth rating scales.

In hopes to add even more realism to its sim franchise, Visual Concepts implemented new footplanting technology. The new animation and physics system requires that every crossover and post move have the necessary footwork to make it real. In the past you could use the Isomotion system to break from a crossover and then instantly hit a spin move. While it looked cool, some of the animations were physically impossible. Now, players must plant their foot to properly push off. It makes some of the moves slower to respond, but it also makes NBA 2K8 feel a touch more grounded than its predecessors. Movement and momentum were a major focus for VC this year and its shows.

Thank God.

While your or I might have called it a day with all these improvements, VC soldiered on. Next on the hit list is the post game. Let's face it, post play has never been as perimeter play. NBA 2K8 hopes to change that with a more refined post option. The biggest change in the post are your options. Players have a far greater range of shot options and moves. And the post doesn't feel as artificial, as if it's some mini-game within a game. While after one game I can't say it's the greatest thing since jelly on toast, it's certainly faster and more exhilarating than in 2K7.

I like this as well, I want more versatility in the post. I hope we can up-fake deep in the post now, as well.

When the buzzer rings and the crowd begins filing out of the arena, you still have reason to avoid quitting to the main menu. The post game show starts with the Jordan Player of the Game. You'll see the player's stats and their highlight reel. It even shows their hot zones and how well they shot around the court. Then comes the top 3 plays of the game. If that's not enough, you get signature highlights for every player. Let's say you play Celtics vs. Suns. You can click on Kevin Garnett and see his highlight reel. Then check out all of Nash's dope dishes. And Barbosa's sweet jumpers. If that isn't enough, you can go through a catalogue of every single play in the entire game and choose any replay you want to watch. That's hot.

The post-game show sounds pretty sick, and I really like Top 3 Plays of the Game.

Then you guys already know about the Lock-on D and hot zones (if not, just read page 2 of this article). In the last article (don't feel like digging it up), it also mentioned that the off-ball controls are much better.

Alright remember how the first batch of NBA 2k8 pictures made Chris Paul look like a glazed doughnut? Well, let's just say they fixed it, and the player models/graphics are RIDICULOUSLY on-point. Here are 7 new pics:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/866/866314/imgs_1.html

I am SO PUMPED for this game, just 32 days away baby. In the mean time, I hope we get more info (especially on Association mode) and possibly a couple 5-on-5 gameplay vids.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:55:35 AM by IndeedProceed »
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: New NBA 2k8 info (must-see!)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:31:35 AM »

Offline jvthekid

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 1
This game is going to be so sick. As a Jordan collector I'm also loving the Jordan player of the game thing lol.
GREEN 17.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 02:39:24 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Can't wait for this. Lovin' the 08 class of games.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 03:27:13 AM »

Offline Jimmy Shaker

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Awesome! NBA 2k7 for the 360 was the best sports game I've ever played. This one sounds even better.

PS: This debate is tired but what the hell: NBA Live is terrible.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:57:41 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Awesome! NBA 2k7 for the 360 was the best sports game I've ever played. This one sounds even better.

PS: This debate is tired but what the hell: NBA Live is terrible.

NBA 2k6 was much better than NBA 2k7 if you ask me.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:38 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I just read that it comes out on the ps2 in addition to ps3. that is great news for me as i'm not spending $$$ on a ps3.

i wish they'd bring out the new gta and metal gear on ps2 as well  :(

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 08:57:18 AM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
minor flaw: check out the last screen shot there of kobe dunking on perkins.  perkins would have wasted kobe there... ;)
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »

Offline DJRYB13

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
[dang], this looks and sounds pretty sick.  It's going to be tough for me to give up on Live since I have been playing it since back in the Super Nintendo days before it was even called NBA Live. 

Last year was brutal with all of the glitches and unrealistic play but 08 sounds like they may have fixed that all.

I may just have to buy both!   

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 09:50:12 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Live has been pumping out all this info, and while it sounded intriguing, I think well all knew in the back of our minds why Live is considered inferior.

Well, they did not disappoint, and came out with terrible player/team ratings. In the meantime, I'll keep myself occupied with MLB 2k7 and Madden 08. Oh wait, I'm getting the red ring of death.

Has this ahppened to anyone?

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The 2k seris has always been better in my opinion but i felt there were no upgrades from 2k6 to 2k7, on ps2. I hope that 2k8 turns out to be as sweet as it sounds.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:57:30 AM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
Wow.  those screenshots look sick... especially the detail in the last one of kobe dunking on perk (look at the reflection off of the floor).

I'm a tried and true NBA live player but after reading that article it seems 2k series is correcting problems that I've had in NBA live (especially that 1st paragraph about Nash and the wide open shot... i hated clanking that for no reason)...  After reading that, I may just pick up 2k instead... (my roomate will pick up Live 08 so it's not sooo bad)...  + i def feel that EA has been slacking with it's newer sports games Tiger 08 is no different and to be honest Madden is only sloightly better with it's much needed speed up in play (similiar to old 2k Football which was awsome) and they added the "weapon" system which is pretty much the same as the playmaker rankings in NBA Live 07.  EA has been dissapointing lately...

can't wait...

in the meantime i guess i will be playing Halo 3 come Sept 25th... I'm definatley taking that day off of work  ;D)
New England Sports... Feel the Beastmode-ness!

-city of champions-

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
Live has been pumping out all this info, and while it sounded intriguing, I think well all knew in the back of our minds why Live is considered inferior.

Well, they did not disappoint, and came out with terrible player/team ratings. In the meantime, I'll keep myself occupied with MLB 2k7 and Madden 08. Oh wait, I'm getting the red ring of death.

Has this ahppened to anyone?

yeah.. we got the red ring of death twice in our house.  If you have a warantee from a place you bought it from (like the best buy waurantee) they'll just replace it in store... if not, you have to contact microsoft... they send you an empty box with postage, you pack up your xbox and send it... and they either fix it or send you a new one... in our case they sent us new ones in roughly 2 weeks...

-city of champions-

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'm going to get both 2k8 and NBA Live 08.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:08:46 AM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I can honestly say that I've bought every EA game for Genesis and Playstation since Lakers vs Celtics in 1990.  But because of the enthusiasm everyone here has shown for the 2K series, I'm going to switch it up this year and try that.  You guys have convinced me!  You should be salesmen for 2K8 lol.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
I always enjoyed the strategic play of LIVE more than the arcady, more fast paced play of 2k.. however it seems that 2K is taking steps to mesh the two and are definatly taking steps in the right direction to making the most realistic hoops game.

-city of champions-