Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto 4  (Read 11070 times)

Re: Grand Theft Auto 4
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »

Online shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Can I ask a question about this type of game?  I kind of fell off the map of video games after Nintendo 64 (and I pretty much played the Golf & Techmo Bowl on there). 

Having seen the commercials for this game (and ones like it), I'm a bit surprised by the amount of dialog the characters have.  It seems like there is a "plot" to the story of the game you are playing. I guess my question is how adaptive is the dialog to the actions you choose to take?  Does the "plot" rule the action or does action rule the plot? 

Not sure if that makes sense, but my impression from the commercial is that you must be stuck within certain guidelines that will prompt certain results. How free are you to do whatever you want?
That is the best part of the game.  You are free to do whatever you want.  There is a good storyline with great missions and you can choose when you want to do them.  So you have as much free time as you want.  You can rome around New York (the map is huge).  It is about a 20 minute drive from one side of the map to the other.  You can get as many guns as you want and you can steal any car you want.  The cars are all modeled after real cars which is cool.  You can go to the airport and fly a plane or you can go to the burger stand and get some food (and then kill the burger guy).  Or you can go out on a date with one of your many girlfriend (and kill them if you want).

My mother would be ashamed to hear me talking like this.  :P
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
anyone here play on xbox live?? we should get together

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Can I ask a question about this type of game?  I kind of fell off the map of video games after Nintendo 64 (and I pretty much played the Golf & Techmo Bowl on there). 

Having seen the commercials for this game (and ones like it), I'm a bit surprised by the amount of dialog the characters have.  It seems like there is a "plot" to the story of the game you are playing. I guess my question is how adaptive is the dialog to the actions you choose to take?  Does the "plot" rule the action or does action rule the plot? 

Not sure if that makes sense, but my impression from the commercial is that you must be stuck within certain guidelines that will prompt certain results. How free are you to do whatever you want?

There is a plot you follow just because...(well you follow it because it so freakin sweet). You never technically have to follow the plot, but if you do you get better guns, and the ability to have better cars, houses, stuff in general. Also the plot-objective driven missions earn you money the most effectively, which you kind of need in the game. I take a lot of cabs....especially if I go out and get drunk. (Im not kidding...you have to go out and get computer drunk...or go to a strip club...or play pool or bowl, but thats for losers.)*

The time when I realized this game was on a whole other level was the subway ride they make you take like an hour into the game...you go from one end of the city to the other and you can see all kinds of different angles from the train...and it was amazing graphically. They give you the option to just fast forward, but why would you, when the view is so spectacular.

The characters are very intricate and for the most part well rounded. My favorites were Packie, Faustin, and Brucie, but I've got more people to 'meet' .

The plot is kind of like "The Black Donnely's" meets "Eastern Promises"...where you're pretty much down for whatever and you go to very extreme lengths to defend the honor of yourself and your family. And you're eastern euro...I think Ukraine but I'm not sure.

anyone here play on xbox live?? we should get together

Im gettin there..my tag is indeedproceed83 shoot me a request and I will play if I see you online

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I also have the game (for XBox 360).  Sold  a load of old DVD's and a few old PS2 games I had around to get it for free at Game Stop.  The graphics are awesome, very realistic.  I do agree with the general consensus that the driving is a bit more difficult this time around...the control seems very sensitive with it.  Other than that, its a good game.  I really am enjoying the storyline, now that I am getting deeper into the plot.  Definitely a good buy.  Someone told me that this game was getting ripped off the shelves in a few weeks due to its extreme graphic nature?  It doesn't seem any different than GTA: VC & GTA: SA with its drug usage, promiscuity, foul language, etc.  I mean, I know SA had some copies ripped off the shelves due to a very graphic hidden sex scene, but this doesn't seem to go over the top like that game.  I don't know.  Just a rumor someone told me they heard.  Anyways, if anyone has XBox Live, my handle is Doctor Rob 84.  Add me if you want.