Author Topic: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England  (Read 27450 times)

Re: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Made a huge mistake imo.

You treat TB like Kobe in his last few years.

You overpay and treat him. It doesn't matter if he isn't worth the money; he's given you his best and worst years. As Giants fan, TB was one of the most annoying guys to face against, but there was a level of mutual respect.

What a shame to watch him not retire as a Pat.
I don't think the Lakers did what was best for the franchise.  Kobe was a shell of himself, was making $ that could have been going to younger players, was injured, selfish, narcissistic, and a bad teammate.  He hampered the development of young guys.  I guess people can think of the 60pts in his last game and think he played well but he was even horrible in that game.  It was a pretty negative couple of years.

The Patriots should do what's best for the team and Brady should do what makes Brady happy.  That's what's happening.

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think the Lakers did what was best for the franchise.  Kobe was a shell of himself, was making $ that could have been going to younger players, was injured, selfish, narcissistic, and a bad teammate.  He hampered the development of young guys.  I guess people can think of the 60pts in his last game and think he played well but he was even horrible in that game.  It was a pretty negative couple of years.

There’s probably a philosophical debate there.  What’s best for a franchise?  Is it only winning titles?  Or does fan service matter?

I think 90%+ of Lakers fans are happy that Kobe was a Laker for life, and they obviously landed on their feet quickly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2020, 03:22:39 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

There’s probably a philosophical debate there.  What’s best for a franchise?  Is it only winning titles?  Or does fan service matter?

I think 90%+ of Lakers fans are happy that Kobe was a Laker for life, and they obviously landed on their feet quickly.

The Lakers are a bit of an outlier, as tons of players want to play there, even if them team isn't good. Who's gonna want to go to New England without Brady there? There weren't tons of marquee players lining up to join the Pats even when Brady was there.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 03:25:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
FWIW, Dale Arnold from WEEI is reporting that Brady will sign with Tampa tomorrow.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

In hindsight you are probably right, especially since Kobe isn't around anymore.  At the time there is no way 90% of the fans were happy with the Laker situation.

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How exactly can someone not be entertained with the play of their favorite team in a year where they won a world title. I don't get that.

I guess maybe it's too far to say I wasn't entertained by the 2018 season, culminating in a title.

You can be entertained and be biting your nails, feeling sick, convinced the team doesn't have what it takes to get over the finish line, all the way to the very end.

That's a kind of entertainment.  And you can't argue with the result.

Was it fun?  I don't remember having very much fun.  It was creaky and grindy as all get out right to the end and they won a Super Bowl that was bizarrely, painfully low scoring.

And again, if it results in a title, you can't argue with it.  But I don't think it was going to result in another title.  I had no interest in watching another season of Tom trying to squeeze just enough points out of the offense so that the defense could win the game.

So my thinking after the way last season ended was "If we're not contending anymore let's just starting building toward a version of this team that is fun to watch again." 

I like defense just fine, but I envy the teams with athletic receivers, quarterbacks who can make plays out of the pocket, running backs who are fast enough to elude defenders.  I miss the days when the Pats were giving opponents fits because they had too many weapons and too many creative ways to gain yards and score touchdowns.  I miss the days of Gronk being way too big and strong to be stopped by fewer than three defenders draped all over him.

I'm not a person who enjoys watching a lesser version of the same thing just for nostalgia. 

I'm not hating on anybody who feels that way.  I can appreciate people who say that would prefer waiting another year or two to allow the best player in the history of the franchise to have his farewell tour, shower him with love, etc, never let him play in another jersey, and so on. 

Chances are the next phase -- rebuilding, identifying the next "guy" -- is going to take a while and starting that process sooner might not ultimately get us where we want to be any quicker.  I recognize that.

Even so, I'd rather Brady have his "I'm finally too old to do this, huh?" season in another uniform.  But that's just me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm mad y'all let him go so he could come to the Bucs! FFS!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2020, 04:09:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'm mad y'all let him go so he could come to the Bucs! FFS!

It's going to be interesting to see him on the Bucs. 

On the one hand, Winston was able to put up over 5k yards, and he's a much sloppier QB than Brady. 

Could Brady have a rejuvenation in Tampa, with something like Winston's production minus all the INTs?  I guess it's possible.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:19 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Prediction: he starts the season 7-1 with 3000/15/2 or thereabouts, then suffers a major injury, comes back the next season at 50%, plays 3 games and gets benched, then retires.

(Note: I would be predicting roughly the same trajectory if he stayed on the Pats. And this outcome won’t bring me any joy, but it sure will make me wish he stayed with NE...)

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28918640/qb-tom-brady-expected-sign-buccaneers-sources-say

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the expected landing spot for quarterback Tom Brady barring any unforeseen circumstances, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Jeff Darlington.

There's no signing date or announcement officially set up, but Brady is expected to be a Buccaneer.‬

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 07:21:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Tom Brady taking a page from my grandfather's playbook and finishing his career in Tampa, so to speak.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Prediction: he starts the season 7-1 with 3000/15/2 or thereabouts, then suffers a major injury, comes back the next season at 50%, plays 3 games and gets benched, then retires.

(Note: I would be predicting roughly the same trajectory if he stayed on the Pats. And this outcome won’t bring me any joy, but it sure will make me wish he stayed with NE...)

This sounds right to me -- he's going to look awesome for a couple months to start the season.  He'll be playing in warm weather which much better offensive weapons.

Then it'll get colder, playoff competition will get tighter, and he'll get banged up.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 07:24:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
PhoSita

..."The Patriots just weren't entertaining for me the last couple of years.  Even when they were winning they were grinding it out, for the most part." ...

I'd be thrilled to have the Cs grinding out championships. Style doesn't matter to me, accomplishments do.

The Patriots championships were always about grinding it out. A robust system that worked against all types of opponents year after year as opposed to a single year of brilliance and then a fade to black.

Don't count on a quick rebuild either.

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
"Tom Brady reportedly has an agreement to join Tampa Bay Buccaneers" GOD NO!!!!!

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2020, 07:34:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love Tom and will always appreciate what he did in New England, but hoping at this point he totally crashes and burns. What problem could be so big that he can't come back to New England? If it is about money, then he can go screw himself (in the short term anyway). It's not like he isn't one of the wealthiest men alive as it is. If it's about proving himself in another venue, it's not like there's going to be a true gauge. He is super-old (for an NFL player) - it'll be more miraculous if he is successful than if he is not. If the Pats simply won't have him back (doesn't seem to be the case), then I retract everything I've said.

Joe Montana told him months ago not to do it - that it would be a mistake. I hope we all see that Montana was right.