Author Topic: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England  (Read 27447 times)

Re: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 01:40:48 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
According to ESPN the Panthers have given permission for Cam Newton to negotiate with other teams. Any takers??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28916134/panthers-give-cam-newton-permission-seek-trade
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Some of the responses here are infuritating. Why in the world would you want to move on from the best football player of all-time? Stidham, Dalton, Winston? My god, people who think it's time for both sides to just move on are just delusional. The dude brought this laughingstock of a franchise six Super Bowls. Whether or not you think it's best for the franchise over the next two years, you let him ride into the sunset with this team. He's earned that. That we don't have any better options makes this exponentially worse.

The fact that Tom is basically like, "I don't know where I'm playing next year, but it certainly isn't here," speaks volumes. Probably listening to a lot of the media and unappreciative fans - there are a lot of them.

Look man, when I tune in to watch my team I'm hoping to be entertained.

The Patriots just weren't entertaining for me the last couple of years.  Even when they were winning they were grinding it out, for the most part. 

I know that it's going to get worse before it gets better but I want to at least feel that it's moving toward a new era.

I was sad when Paul and KG got traded.  The 2013 Celts were disappointing, yet the 2014 Celts were even worse.  Nonetheless, that transition led to a new era that I've greatly enjoyed.  I hope something similar can happen with the Pats.

I get it...man. But sometimes there need to be exceptions. The best player to ever play the game of football who has been a part of the same organization for 20 years should be that exception. It sucks to go down with the ship (if that's even what would happen), but you got to reap the rewards for 20 years. You can probably live with a 1-2 year swan song.

And it's not like Brady is coming with the football equivalents of Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, and (two years of) Kyrie Irving. He is just leaving and we are still left with a ton of dead money on the books because of it.

People outside of New England are just eye-rolling your statement of not enjoying the last couple of years. How many teams would kill for just one SB? You are just brushing over the fact that they won one last year, but you don't like how they did it. That sounds ridiculous.

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Some of the responses here are infuritating. Why in the world would you want to move on from the best football player of all-time? Stidham, Dalton, Winston? My god, people who think it's time for both sides to just move on are just delusional. The dude brought this laughingstock of a franchise six Super Bowls. Whether or not you think it's best for the franchise over the next two years, you let him ride into the sunset with this team. He's earned that. That we don't have any better options makes this exponentially worse.

The fact that Tom is basically like, "I don't know where I'm playing next year, but it certainly isn't here," speaks volumes. Probably listening to a lot of the media and unappreciative fans - there are a lot of them.

The Patriots just weren't entertaining for me the last couple of years.  Even when they were winning they were grinding it out, for the most part. 

I know that it's going to get worse before it gets better but I want to at least feel that it's moving toward a new era.

I was sad when Paul and KG got traded.  The 2013 Celts were disappointing, yet the 2014 Celts were even worse.  Nonetheless, that transition led to a new era that I've greatly enjoyed.  I hope something similar can happen with the Pats.

I get it...man. But sometimes there need to be exceptions. The best player to ever play the game of football who has been a part of the same organization for 20 years should be that exception. It sucks to go down with the ship (if that's even what would happen), but you got to reap the rewards for 20 years. You can probably live with a 1-2 year swan song.

And it's not like Brady is coming with the football equivalents of Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, and (two years of) Kyrie Irving. He is just leaving and we are still left with a ton of dead money on the books because of it.

People outside of New England are just eye-rolling your statement of not enjoying the last couple of years. How many teams would kill for just one SB? You are just brushing over the fact that they won one last year, but you don't like how they did it. That sounds ridiculous.

Yeah, that mindset just reeks of entitlement, IMO. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2020, 02:17:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

That's just it though.  Plenty of fanbases would kill for just one SB.  We got six. 

Plenty of fanbases would kill for just one playoff season.  We got two decades.

I don't feel desperate for the Pats to win another SB, and I don't feel like it's vital they make the playoffs next season.

Does that make me spoiled and entitled as a fan?  Sure!  Isn't that part of our reward for the last couple of decades of Patriots dominance?  We've been given so much winning that we're spoiled and entitled.  That will go away with time and we'll be back a normal fan base again soon enough.  But for now I'm not sorry about being entitled.  It's a sign of how good things have been.

What I do want is a team that I enjoy watching and that has a future.  I want something new and exciting not a slightly less good version of what came the year before, which was a slightly less good version of the year before that.  I can live with the team being bad for a year or two if that's a necessary part of moving toward a new era.

If I thought the Pats with Brady were going to have a shot at winning another SB, that would be a different story.  I don't think that's the case at all.  I think if Tom had stayed this next season would have been a repeat of last season, only Tom would look another year older. 

I think it's too bad that this didn't end with the SB a year or so ago.  Have Brady and Gronk and Edelman all retire at the same time.  But as you say, that's rarely how this goes. You have to watch the 1-2 year swan song. Well, that was last season.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:23:05 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Will there EVER be a better Coach-Quarterback combo?

B and B were SURGICAL in how they carved up opponents..

And Bill always had that stoic look...even during a blowout....almost always hard to read.

I think the ONLY time I've seen the man smile is when his daughter hugged him on the field after a Superbowl win.

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I dont know much about football, but when KG and PO got traded we were left with guys like Gerald Wallace, Jeff Green, Marcus Thornton etc.

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Very doubtful.  There may be a combo with more short-term success (three SB wins in a row, four in five years), but nobody over a two decade period.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So it seems like Panthers get Bridgewater, and Colts get Rivers.

Looks like it's truly Bucs vs. Chargers for Brady at this point.

This sucks :(

What does a Patriots season without Brady on the roster even look like?? Idk.

I guess I saw a glimpse of it in 2008 and early 2016, but Brady was still on the roster then (just injured/suspended).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2020, 02:24:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Very doubtful.  There may be a combo with more short-term success (three SB wins in a row, four in five years), but nobody over a two decade period.

Yup -- Tom and Bill are the football equivalent of Tim and Pop. 

I don't think we'll ever see the like again.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
So it seems like Panthers get Bridgewater, and Colts get Rivers.

Looks like it's truly Bucs vs. Chargers for Brady at this point.

This sucks :(

What does a Patriots season without Brady on the roster even look like?? Idk.

I guess I saw a glimpse of it in 2008 and early 2016, but Brady was still on the roster then (just injured/suspended).

My guess would be 9-7 or 8-8 with Stidham or similar under center.  Team leans on running and defense (like the last two years) but hopefully mixes in some new plays and looks to take advantage of having somebody more spry under center.

It's not going to be a tank effort as long as Bill is the coach. 

The project for the franchise for the next few years is to identify the next guy who can be the long term QB.  No idea how they'll find him or how long it'll take, and I expect it to be frustrating.  Doubtful that Stidham is the answer.  But the process will start now, hopefully.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pats should try to make a big move up to draft Tua.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Calling people delusional is insulting, disrespectful and against site rules. Do not do it again soon or there will be consequences.

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2020, 02:38:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
How exactly can someone not be entertained with the play of their favorite team in a year where they won a world title. I don't get that.

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Pats should try to make a big move up to draft Tua.
I said the same thing a couple months ago. I don't know that they have the draft capital to do it though.

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Belichick seems prefer having one "bigger" QB on the roster...sort of. Brady counts as "big". Stidham is about the same size. Hoyer wasn't, but, he was a backup.

Cam Newton is big, but, didn't look good at all this year. Guy has taken a lot of hits.

Be fun to see who he brings in and, I estimate, he's been working on this plan for a couple pf years.