Author Topic: Jayson Tatum Full Highlights vs 76ers (2017.07.11) Summer League - 15 Pts, 6 Reb  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
-  2nd last play, never seen a laser finger roll executed like that before  ;)
-  Shooting stroke looking much more balanced as of late.  Not leaning back when shooting. Stroke reminds me of Klay Thompsons

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Tatum's scoring ability late in games... pure gold.

Really does remind me of Paul Pierce. (Yeah I know, it's summer league, but still..)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Tatum's scoring ability late in games... pure gold.

Really does remind me of Paul Pierce. (Yeah I know, it's summer league, but still..)

1st time I have heard of such comparison  ;D

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
How much mass could Tatum add without impairing his ability to excute  a turnaround J?

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Tatum has looked great, better than I could have expected so far.

He still has to learn how to pass out of the double team earlier, and more effectively though. He also has to improve his conditioning, he has looked tired the last two games.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
What a great dribbler already for a man his size.  Imagine how good Jalen would be if the ball was stuck to his hands like that without having to worry about it?  And look how much room he covers after he picks up the dribble- much than Pierce- he's a notch or two below Giannis in that regard.  He's extremely fundamental at such a young age.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I don't see Paul Pierce in his game at all.  Think that's an lazing comparison.

His bird chest does remind of Reggie Millers.  Dude is really skinny and is average athletic. 

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
That crossover had the whole gym in awe; he really has the ability to get his from midrange at will.

I'd like to see him expand to the 3pt line a little bit more. It will open up the floor for him and allow him to operate with more room. He seemed a gassed last night and it was evident in his defense (5 fouls) and some of his shots not falling.

One of my favorite observations from his SL performances has been his ability to go coast-to-coast in transition. Tatum's exceptional at maintaining a controlled dribble and using euro-steps and hesitations near the hoop.

Offline crimcartel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13

His bird chest does remind of Reggie Millers.  Dude is really skinny and is average athletic.

spoken like a true pessimist. nothing average about his athleticism.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, not sure who you're watching out there when you're saying his athleticism is average. Just because he's not Vince Carter jumping over seven footers doesn't mean he isn't athletic. Vertical leaps aren't the be all and end all of dictating athleticism.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis

Yeah, not sure who you're watching out there when you're saying his athleticism is average. Just because he's not Vince Carter jumping over seven footers doesn't mean he isn't athletic. Vertical leaps aren't the be all and end all of dictating athleticism.

To be fair, I think there's a difference between having average athleticism and no athleticism.

While I don't think Tatum's athleticism is problematic, it was an area of concern for scouts in particular when considering his ability to play against SF's in the NBA in comparison to his time spent at the PF spot in college. He is not a Vince Carter explosive athlete, but he's quick enough and fast enough and has the length to compensate for most of the perceived deficits that have been pointed out surrounding his athletic ability.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I'm going to say hopefully a rich man's version of Rudy Gay. Has similar build, maybe similar athleticism, and ISO skills (Gay has averaged 18.4 PPG for his career.).  Hopefully more of a team oriented and winning player than Gay though.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

To be fair, I think there's a difference between having average athleticism and no athleticism.

While I don't think Tatum's athleticism is problematic, it was an area of concern for scouts in particular when considering his ability to play against SF's in the NBA in comparison to his time spent at the PF spot in college. He is not a Vince Carter explosive athlete, but he's quick enough and fast enough and has the length to compensate for most of the perceived deficits that have been pointed out surrounding his athletic ability.

So basically/For reference

Lebron/Westbrook
Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
Giannis/PG13
Hayward/Tatum
Crowder/PJ Tucker/Smart (average)

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis

So basically/For reference

Lebron/Westbrook
Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
Giannis/PG13
Hayward/Tatum
Crowder/PJ Tucker/Smart (average)

I mean, there are people on this board who have expressed that they think Carmelo Anthony was never athletic, so I think athleticism is almost subjective at this point. I think it comes down to what an individual does with their athleticism and how it is used rather than the capacity and individual has for it.

I'd say Crowder and Smart are pretty good examples of average athletes for their positions (if Crowder is a 3 and Smart is a 1). Given that baseline, I think Tatum as a 3 is maybe a bit more athletic than Crowder. I think Tatum's athleticism is within average range for an NBA SF and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The way he uses it in conjunction with his length is highly efficient.