Author Topic: Game thoughts: Let me be the first to say...  (Read 4327 times)

Re: Game thoughts: Let me be the first to say...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So how many times do we think perk has lost or forgotten his wedding ring somewhere?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:30:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Well, the third string played terrible defense in Q4,  Sweetney can't guard a chair. Shelden Williams made one nice play (the putback on the free throw) but was completely invisible the rest of the time, and that big Australian guy ate him up. 

Giddens looked lost on offense. I doubt if the C's will pick up his option.

I was pleasantly surprised by Lester Hudson.  He didn't play badly at all.

I thought the replacement officials were fine in the first half, but got completely whistle happy in the second, which ruined the flow of the game.

good summary.  pretty much agree with everything except whether they'll pick up Giddens option.  I'm on the fence on that one.  Giddens played solid defense which is what Doc is supposedly have him focus on.  The team didn't look for him on offense which was a little surprising.  He kept the ball moving when he touched it---would have liked to have seen him look to score a little.

Didn't watch the game, but that's my overall assessment of Giddens as a player. It's why I disdain when he plays with the scrubs, the skills he has that I like are wasted there. If he at least would've played meaningful minutes with either the 2nd unit or the starters, I would think for the most part we would be singing a different tune.

Not comparing him to James Posey, since they're different players, but James Posey's skillset is wasted when surrounded by bad players but really excels when surrounded by people that can actually play, I see Giddens in the same frame of mind.

From Giddens on offense I would simply look at him moving the ball, finishing around the rim, and hit cutters... and some rebounding. On defense, well just play solid defense and rebound. He's quick, active and I think that when surrounded with people who can actually play, they can take advantage of those aspects... not so much with the rest.

But then again, I didn't watch last night's game... but that's been my overall assessment of him so far, and as I mentioned before, I don't know what one would try to accomplish with a unit of Hudson/Giddens/Scal/Williams/Sweetney, there's going to be a huge disorganization by default.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:07 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
We rock!!!!!!

now in serious business

regular season mins

Shelden   2
Scal      5
Hudson    5
Sweetney  0
Giddens   0
You might be being a little generous there with Hudson, but I hope you are right, E.

If Hudson is getting 5 min per game that probably means we are finishing people off early in the 4th quarter like we did 2 years ago.  That would rock!

By the way, Giddens is just clueless and regardless of what Sweetney can do in the post on offense, he is just a useless tub of guts on defense and in the rebounding department.

"useless tub of guts" = brilliant!
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Well, the third string played terrible defense in Q4,  Sweetney can't guard a chair. Shelden Williams made one nice play (the putback on the free throw) but was completely invisible the rest of the time, and that big Australian guy ate him up. 

I thought he had good position on his man on more than one occasion off the glass, and I'm guessing you didn't see the very smooth crossover/drop-step/left-handed layup.  Completely invisible to you, maybe.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
I'll start at the top.

Rondo - in very good shape. Still made some dumb turnovers. Forced up ALOT of bad layup attempts(that got thrown right back in his face). Gambled alot on defense, but managed to maintain pressure on the opposing PG full court.

Ray - always in good shape. Missed sum shots that will be $$$ during the season. Played good defense for the most part. All in all, He looked like Ray Allen. lol

Pierce - in good shape, but can he maintain it through the whole season? You can tell he was just going through the motions, aka he wasnt givin 100%(though, no one was). No concerns here.

KG - In Great shape for someone that has been away from the game for that long. He still dominated the opposing PF's. They may not be elite PF's but Scola is a [dang] good PF and Hayes is Powe 1.5. I was actually surprised KG didnt favor his knee too much. Him saying he wanted to go even longer, is very encouraging. I want to say no worries here, but we'll monitor him thru camp 1st.

Perkins - Didnt think it was possible, but he's in even better shape than last year. He looked quick on defense, didnt really get called for illegal screens, and was aggressive on Offense. I thought he was easily the most impressive.

Wallace - Is it me, or does he look a little bit leaner than in previous years? He did what he was brought in to do; Give Perk a breather, give KG a breather, block shots, HIT shots, and get Techs. lol. 2nd most impressive behind Perk.

Daniels - I'm fine with him at PG. He definitely did it better than House. He bricked a few shots, but I'm sure they'll fall when they NEED to. He played OK defense. But he penetrated at will, and either passed, or finished. He is what Tony Allen was supposed to become.

House - same old house. Which isnt a bad thing. He hit shots, but he still sucks bringing up the ball. He crosses half court with 17-18 seconds left EVERYTIME.

Big Baby - In great shape. Made sum nice post moves, even took a 3pt attempt(and almost made it). However when I look at him, I feel like he is disinterested and wishes he was on a team that he would get more time. This may not be a problem, but I think the issue will only get worse. I think we keep Scal, Baby, Tony, and JR and package them for a VERY good player at allstar break.

Hudson - I think he's gonna stick, at least for this year. He played good defense, and although his offense struggled, it was because you can tell he wants to try and be a distributing PG, when he's a scoring PG.

Scal - Is he Budinger's cousin or uncle? Lol. Nice hookshot, pretty good D. Scal looked like Scal. (nuff' said)

Giddens - Still looks  ??? . If I can point out any positives, its that He "Looks" like an NBA player, and played decent defense.

Sweetney - That's a BIG DUDE!!!! He actually did ok. He's just wayyy too wide, he can't go 2 minutes without getting called for a foul. (I think he gets cut).

Shelden - I think he looked Ok. He got that nice putback, and made a nice spin move in the lane. I think he is well worth taking a chance, and think he'll stick on the team. (maybe he is insurance in case we trade Big Baby).

Our team looks good, but the first team still makes too many turnovers. They will clean it up a bit though. Our second unit looked ok, but I really REALLY think we could "potentially" have the best second unit of all time. If it's

House
Hudson
Daniels
Big Baby
Sheed

but even this 2nd unit looks good

House
Daniels
Big Baby
Shelden
Sheed

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Perkins - Didnt think it was possible, but he's in even better shape than last year. He looked quick on defense, didnt really get called for illegal screens, and was aggressive on Offense. I thought he was easily the most impressive.
I agree with his looking great.  He's especially quick now off his feet to jump.  However, 5 fouls in like 15 minutes of play is not good.

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
I agree with his looking great.  He's especially quick now off his feet to jump.  However, 5 fouls in like 15 minutes of play is not good.

lol true, but he was gambling at will, and just having fun. the whole team knows this is just practice.