Author Topic: Tatum says he’s still growing  (Read 3954 times)

Re: Tatum says he’s still growing
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He is 21.5 years old. Its extremely unlikely he grows significantly, almost no one continues to grow at that age.

Yeah I think height-wise he is what he is.

6'9'' with long arms and fluid grace is pretty good as it is though.

he's 6'8. sorry I'm a stickler.
It's crazy how bball is gonna be played barefoot going forward.
There are fluctuations in how much taller a sneaker can make you. Best to get the real height of these players, not that it matters much as height is meaningless without talent.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
He is 21.5 years old. Its extremely unlikely he grows significantly, almost no one continues to grow at that age.

There are fluctuations in how much taller a sneaker can make you. Best to get the real height of these players, not that it matters much as height is meaningless without talent.
I have never understood that thought. Let's say shoes add anywhere between 1-2 inches, that means Tatum would worst case be 6'9 when he's actually playing basketball. I understand the variance, but why do it this way?

It is all technically meaningless because standing reach is a lot more indicative of the size on the court. Nobody would say Dwight was an undersized center because of his wingspan and muscle mass, and for his career he was listed at 6'11. Now all of a sudden he is a 6' 9 center? I mean sure, but that means Kobe was 6'4, Wade was 6,1 and on and on.
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I thought it was odd that the new measurements were to whole inches. I'm also surprised that Tatum barely rounded up to 6'8. I would have guessed he rounded down.

If they want to go to the trouble of insisting on transparency, they should report the actual measurements.

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I prefer height without shoes too, since you know, that’s their actual height.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 07:44:02 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't think it actually matters all that much whether the height are reported with or without shoes, so long as they are accurate and consistent.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 10:04:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i mean we don't watch em play n bare footed ?  Means more to me to know their height AS i actually watch them on court.  They wear shoes more than they go barefooted i would think .

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
i mean we don't watch em play n bare footed ?  Means more to me to know their height AS i actually watch them on court.  They wear shoes more than they go barefooted i would think .
Then would you consider Tom Cruise 6ft tall since he wears elevator shoes in his movies? ;)

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 11:50:45 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would rather know their height as to compared to me.  When I get measured at the doctor I take my shoes off because well, the shoes are not part of me.  If you want to be able to compare players to players, then no shoes is the right way as well.  At the very least, you don't lose that comparison when using real height (i.e., no shoes).