Author Topic: What happened to the Current Events section?  (Read 19949 times)

Re: What happened to the Current Events section?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Just another example of how our society is further distancing itself from the spirit of the 1st amendment.  Viva la trump I suppose...

It fascinates me how much more important a majority of Americans feel the 2nd amendment is than the 1st.

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to Internet forums. CelticsBlog is probably a better place due to that.

As for restricted members, some of the "NCE" folks are voluntarily removed from seeing political posts. For those actually banned, they're allowed to appeal their ban or apply for reinstatement once.

To whom?

Shoot a request to myself and Donoghus. Basically, explain why you'd like a second chance, including anything you find relevant.

Has that ever worked?

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Just another example of how our society is further distancing itself from the spirit of the 1st amendment.  Viva la trump I suppose...

It fascinates me how much more important a majority of Americans feel the 2nd amendment is than the 1st.

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to Internet forums. CelticsBlog is probably a better place due to that.

As for restricted members, some of the "NCE" folks are voluntarily removed from seeing political posts. For those actually banned, they're allowed to appeal their ban or apply for reinstatement once.

To whom?

Shoot a request to myself and Donoghus. Basically, explain why you'd like a second chance, including anything you find relevant.

Has that ever worked?

It worked for me. Roy was nice enough to give me another chance.

Look, political topics can get testy, and people have a tendency to say loaded things in the midst of those conversations. For example, I lost it on a guy who attacked me on a deeply personal manner because of a political conversation. I broke a handful or rules in my response and thus I was banned from CE.

But I've always been a thoughtful, considerate and respectful poster on all parts of the site and I simply lost my cool in a heated conversation. I apologized for breaking the forum rules and was allowed back into CE. I'm sure, provided you don't have a habit or history of breaking the forum rules, and your truly contrite for breaking them, you could get a second chance.

Those rules allow this community to be as great as it is, and though I disagreed with it at the time, it's in all of our best interests to abide by them. Give it a shot, it worked for me.

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Phosita & Granath both banned from CE? 

Ouch, looks like we lost two of the more thoughtful posters from Current Events. 

That's a shame. 

Yeah, tp to that - those two add a lot to CB and that extended to the CE forum. This may technically be a basketball forum, but some of us have been coming here for many years and it has become much more. Watch out, foulweatherfan, you are probably next  :o

Also, tp to hwanjini for his thoughtful response. I don't often post in the CE forum, but I do enjoy sifting through it and commenting every now and then. I realize now I better be on my best behavior with some of this board's best members getting banned.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:01:09 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 04:36:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

To whom?

Has that ever worked?

Look, political topics can get testy, and people have a tendency to say loaded things in the midst of those conversations. For example, I lost it on a guy who attacked me on a deeply personal manner because of a political conversation. I broke a handful or rules in my response and thus I was banned from CE.

But I've always been a thoughtful, considerate and respectful poster on all parts of the site and I simply lost my cool in a heated conversation. I apologized for breaking the forum rules and was allowed back into CE. I'm sure, provided you don't have a habit or history of breaking the forum rules, and your truly contrite for breaking them, you could get a second chance.

Those rules allow this community to be as great as it is, and though I disagreed with it at the time, it's in all of our best interests to abide by them. Give it a shot, it worked for me.

I rarely go into the political discussions on here. Was curious if a certain political lean is likely to get you banned. I have mostly liberal friends and have noticed they blocked or defriended people on facebook for having opposing views. I also noticed this the opposite way on a really conservatives friends feed who blocked everyone that expressed more liberal views.

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The Current Events forum operates under, essentially, a "one strike" policy. There's no notice or warnings given. If you break our rules in there, your posting privileges are likely to be revoked.

Other than that, we won't publicly comment on discipline, but are happy to discuss matters privately.
thanks for the explanation. may i make a suggestion on these procedures?

i am assuming that one reason behind such banning is so that the offender "learns a lesson", repents, or at least ceases their offensive behavior.

perhaps it would increase the likelihood of the above happening if mods were to actually either warn a person prior to a ban, or, explain why the ban occurred. this would turn the experience into more of a learning experience.

on top of that, it would be a basic curtesy for everyone at cb, since we are all liable to be banned sooner or later.

i dont think it is a rewarding experience to suddenly be shut out of a forum without warning. i have seen numerous posts by such people wondering if their computer is malfunctioning. if their phone is in trouble. or if CB itself is experiencing technical troubles. then the person banned often is at a loss as to why they are banned. in these cases, no "learning" takes place, or does so imperfectly.

all of this adds frustration and irritation not related to the offense. it also creates a clutter of threads from people trying to figure what what happened to them, a waste of everyone's time.

therefore, i respectively request that in the future, when issuing bans the mods also send a quick PM alerting the offender and providing a very brief explanation.

that would make this place even better than it already is.  ;D

thank you.

This seems sincere and well stated.  TP for you.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 05:11:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

To whom?

Has that ever worked?

I rarely go into the political discussions on here. Was curious if a certain political lean is likely to get you banned. I have mostly liberal friends and have noticed they blocked or defriended people on facebook for having opposing views. I also noticed this the opposite way on a really conservatives friends feed who blocked everyone that expressed more liberal views.

We've probably placed about a proportional number of all political persuasions on the NCE list.  Lately, it seems like there have been more left-leaning members who have been restricted. Before that, there was a run of conservatives who pushed things too far.   We've been accused by both sides of bias, so we're probably doing an okay job.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think it's mostly a tone thing rather than a viewpoint thing.  I.e. it's not what you say but whether you ever resort to a flippant ad-hominem or a particularly nasty .gif in the course of saying it.  On certain topics, lacking the necessary level of respect or discretion could get you banned, especially if a mod indicates you're on thin ice.

One could argue that perhaps what tone is appropriate on a given topic is in the eye of the beholder (moderator).  But like Roy said, there are people with the NCE tag on both "sides" -- to the extent there are really "sides" and not a spectrum -- so it's not black and white.

Generally it seems like threads in the CE forum tend to revolve around potentially incendiary topics so the mods try to be very proactive in preventing any sparks from flying, so to speak.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I think it's mostly a tone thing rather than a viewpoint thing.  I.e. it's not what you say but whether you ever resort to a flippant ad-hominem or a particularly nasty .gif in the course of saying it.  On certain topics, lacking the necessary level of respect or discretion could get you banned, especially if a mod indicates you're on thin ice.

One could argue that perhaps what tone is appropriate on a given topic is in the eye of the beholder (moderator).  But like Roy said, there are people with the NCE tag on both "sides" -- to the extent there are really "sides" and not a spectrum -- so it's not black and white.

Generally it seems like threads in the CE forum tend to revolve around potentially incendiary topics so the mods try to be very proactive in preventing any sparks from flying, so to speak.

I think that's pretty spot on. For example, I was banned after a topic about the NBA moving the ASG because of the NC bathroom laws (a fairly passionate topic on both sides), and the sparks flew after another poster made it personal. My response was far from cordial, and the ban came to nip it in the bus before it became an all out p---ing match, I'd assume. In retrospect, I knew my language and tone was outside the normal rules, so I just accepted it and asked to be let back in later, which was obliged. Without knowing their personal situations, I'd assume Pho and Granth could do the same.

I certainly don't think it has anything to do with political leaning. We have some strongly liberal voices and strongly conservative ones in CE that keep it civil and don't get banned. That's part of the reason I like CB CE forums. Now a days, people surround themselves in an echo chamber of their own beliefs, sometimes going as far as banning people who think differently, as you mentioned. At CE, that's not the case, and you get reasoned arguments from every spot on the spectrum.

That said, I do wish the kids would sent you a short PM explaining why your being banned, and giving you a chance to defend your actions, as someone else said.

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 06:43:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I think that's pretty spot on. For example, I was banned after a topic about the NBA moving the ASG because of the NC bathroom laws (a fairly passionate topic on both sides), and the sparks flew after another poster made it personal. My response was far from cordial, and the ban came to nip it in the bus before it became an all out p---ing match, I'd assume. In retrospect, I knew my language and tone was outside the normal rules, so I just accepted it and asked to be let back in later, which was obliged. Without knowing their personal situations, I'd assume Pho and Granth could do the same.

I certainly don't think it has anything to do with political leaning. We have some strongly liberal voices and strongly conservative ones in CE that keep it civil and don't get banned. That's part of the reason I like CB CE forums. Now a days, people surround themselves in an echo chamber of their own beliefs, sometimes going as far as banning people who think differently, as you mentioned. At CE, that's not the case, and you get reasoned arguments from every spot on the spectrum.

That said, I do wish the kids would sent you a short PM explaining why your being banned, and giving you a chance to defend your actions, as someone else said.

I think that may be a lot to ask. It is a pretty thankless job being a mod and they are understaffed.

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Just noticed I'm banned too lol. Makes sense I was suspended for 3 days never got an explanation and no I'm not going to read the rules of the forum. Someone posted something very stupid, I called them an idiot just like I would in person. One of the biggest reasons why blogs have failed is they get to politically correct. One of a very small number of things Chump is correct about is we have become WAY to PC in this country. I miss the days of having a total war online with someone that gets your blood boiling lol!

I'm happy keeping it to sports, easier to forgive someone about opinions versus facts. Seems like today people think they are entitled to their own facts and I just refuse allow that in my presence. I have noticed Mods getting mad at me for heckling them about their man crushes and have received threats based on that. But I'm a firm believer in the idea rules are meant to be broken.  ;) 

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I got banned for absolutely no reason, and no one will explain or own up to their mistake

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
The Current Events forum operates under, essentially, a "one strike" policy. There's no notice or warnings given. If you break our rules in there, your posting privileges are likely to be revoked.

Other than that, we won't publicly comment on discipline, but are happy to discuss matters privately.

I sent you a PM .... I never got an explanation. I cannot even think of anything I did to get the NCE.

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I suggest you consider how much you enjoy posting on the forum at large before proceeding further, S87.

Huh? I don't get this post. What do you mean by proceeding further?

its a warning shot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:27:04 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think that may be a lot to ask. It is a pretty thankless job being a mod and they are understaffed.

If that is the case maybe they could let people know that and they may get some volunteers. For instance I volunteer on a consumer advocacy website providing advice to travels who encounter problems with hotels, cruises and the airlines. I don't get paid for it (hence, volunteer) but I do get some enjoyment out of it helping people fix their travel disasters.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 08:32:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Phosita & Granath both banned from CE? 

Ouch, looks like we lost two of the more thoughtful posters from Current Events. 

That's a shame. 

Just because they are louder does not mean they are more. It is also ironical that the first amendment is their crutch to protect the second. There is a reason why the First Amendment is first.