Author Topic: Celtics (0-2) at Heat (2-0) ECF Game #3 9/19/20  (Read 59384 times)

Re: Celtics (0-2) at Heat (2-0) ECF Game #3 9/19/20
« Reply #1170 on: September 19, 2020, 11:44:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I missed game. (My son got married today!!)

Great win. Can someone give me a quick recap?

Plus not to beat a dead horse, but noticed another DNPCD for Time Lord, and another big game by Bam. What gives?

And how did Gordon look?

Thx!!

Congrats to you and your son!!

Gordon looked really great , especially considering his time off. He made a big impact on both ends of the floor. His passing and ball handling was huge. His shooting a defense was very good too. He was winded though, and said afterwards that his ankle is still sore.

« Reply #1171 on: September 19, 2020, 11:45:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Excellent from Jaylen Brown
Good contribution from Gordon Hayward
Glad to see Marcus Smart FTs ice the game

exactly

Celtics abused the zone D. Also went after Robinson

Jimmy Butler is kind of overrated.  Can't shoot a lick.  Tries to power everything though.  Only so much a 6'5 non explosive guy can keep that up

« Reply #1172 on: September 19, 2020, 11:47:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'll take the win but all the same problems reared their head once again tonight.

It's so obvious we're the more talented team, but unfortunately our coach is just not good enough.  We win in spite of Brad, not because of him.

Gordy looked okay out there, so that is good.  Hopefully he gets back to where he was before the ankle sprain.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Brad's game management is awful ................... I am very bothered that a 20+ point lead was down to 5 points with no timeouts called to re-focus the offense, which was obviously out of sorts late in the 4th.

What about Brad's game management that got us to the 20 point lead? Any thoughts on that?

True, but these points aren't mutually exclusive. Brad has done a fantastic job training this team. But he does need to be more proactive in preventing slides. This is a young team and they need time to focus sometimes.

To be fair, MIA gets more 4 or 5 point plays/possessions than any team I have ever seen. That along with Duncan Robinson being the best shooter on earth - especially in the clutch - makes it so the Heat can make up ground fast.

Of course we need to do our best to prevent this from happening, but at least we were able to fight back from 'adversity' tonight rather than crumble to pieces like we did the last two games. I should note that I'm glad Smart knocked down his FTs at the end, but I absolutely hated that take to the hoop when we were up 5 - just a terrible possession and luckily we were bailed out.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:59:35 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #1173 on: September 19, 2020, 11:48:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Now the team has 3 full days off until Game 4 (Wednesday).

Might help Hayward a lot too as he gets some additional rest. He gave us great minutes tonight

agreed but i think it helps an older heat team more. they expended a lot of energy to win the first two games and they looked tired tonight. defense wasn’t as energetic and a lot of threes hit front iron.

Butler’s only 31. That’s about as prime as it gets. The only relevant “old” guy for the Heat is Dragic and he’s looked great out there. Robinson, Herro, Adebayo, Jones, Crowder, KO (aka the rotation) are 30 or younger
31 has never been considered anyone's athletic prime. Especially not someone who played under Thibs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1174 on: September 19, 2020, 11:49:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Plus not to beat a dead horse, but noticed another DNPCD for Time Lord, and another big game by Bam. What gives?

And how did Gordon look?

Thx!!

yeah congrats!!!  some things are more important than basketball.

The game was pretty great.  Intense def from us, especially from Brown, Smart, Tatum and Gordon.  Let to a lot of transition buckets.  Jaylen was relentless attacking the bucket the first 3 quarters.  We got out to a 20 point lead at some point and they gave a lot of it up but they held tough in the 4th and responded.  Gordon was impressive in his 1st game back.  I am pumped, great effort.  You know Miami is going to make a run, just got to fight through it and they did tonight.

Rinse and repeat for game 4.

« Reply #1175 on: September 19, 2020, 11:49:38 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
good to get the win but that 4th quarter erased the good feelings from the first 3 quarters --> very little confidence that the C's have figured out how to close out a team in these playoffs.

hope they build on what they did right tonight to pull off another win on Wednesday

It's all a learning experience. Better to take the lessons now rather than later.

Jaylen Brown is 23 years old. Tatum is 22. They are expanding their abilities exponentially. It won't always be pretty, but this is all moving in the right direction.

« Reply #1176 on: September 19, 2020, 11:52:33 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1307488655636860929

Tough call by Gordon, but the right one. We need this.

He BETTER play....it's the Playoffs ECF...Kevin McHale played on a broken foot through the playoffs in 1987

Also because we need more of that 80's mustache
what are you talking about?  that's a 70's p0rno 'stache if ever there was one.  8)

Man... don't put that image in my head lol

« Reply #1177 on: September 19, 2020, 11:52:55 PM »

Offline KrazyLegs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15

And how did Gordon look?

Thx!!
Celtics completely dominated for the first 42 minutes. Then it was a dicey last 6 min.

They also destroyed the Heat in the paint 60-36.

JB and Tatum played some great D.

Herro was on fire in the 1st half, which kept the Heat from being down by 20 at halftime. Didn't do much in the 2nd.

Team got complacent and stopped attacking the last 6-7 minutes. Too many threes and not enough drives.

Celtics clearly look like the better team in this series, especially with GH back. Just hope they have the guts to pull it out.

« Reply #1178 on: September 19, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
good to get the win but that 4th quarter erased the good feelings from the first 3 quarters --> very little confidence that the C's have figured out how to close out a team in these playoffs.

hope they build on what they did right tonight to pull off another win on Wednesday

Celts kind of ran out of gas.  And Robinson was doing his best Klay Thompson act

I will take the win.  Didn't choke this time

« Reply #1179 on: September 19, 2020, 11:56:45 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
Now the team has 3 full days off until Game 4 (Wednesday).

Might help Hayward a lot too as he gets some additional rest. He gave us great minutes tonight

agreed but i think it helps an older heat team more. they expended a lot of energy to win the first two games and they looked tired tonight. defense wasn’t as energetic and a lot of threes hit front iron.

Butler’s only 31. That’s about as prime as it gets. The only relevant “old” guy for the Heat is Dragic and he’s looked great out there. Robinson, Herro, Adebayo, Jones, Crowder, KO (aka the rotation) are 30 or younger

lol, i didn’t call the heat team “old.” i said they’re the older team and might benefit from the rest more than the c’s overall because they expended a bunch of energy in games 1 & 2, and they looked tired at times tonight. jumps shots were short and their backcourt D wasn’t nearly as intense tonight.

glad the c’s get some extra time off after a big win, and gordo gets more time to reintegrate with the team and heal the ankle.

« Reply #1180 on: September 19, 2020, 11:58:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

And how did Gordon look?

Thx!!

Congrats to you and your son!!

Gordon looked really great , especially considering his time off. He made a big impact on both ends of the floor. His passing and ball handling was huge. His shooting a defense was very good too. He was winded though, and said afterwards that his ankle is still sore.

Agree his playmaking and presence made a big difference. He is clearly not 100%, but this isn't like the catastrophic-injured Gordon we saw at the end of the Kyrie era. He clearly needs time but isn't fundamentally broken. Pretty encouraging.

Would love to see Time Lord battle Bam.

Congrats, footey!!!

« Reply #1181 on: September 20, 2020, 12:02:16 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
cHeat gonna try to Chin their way to a Championship.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #1182 on: September 20, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

And how did Gordon look?

Thx!!

Omg congrats to you and your son (and daughter-in law)! How exciting  ;D

Yeah I'm not sure why Timelord isn't playing. Maybe he's dealing with something we don't know about? Grant gave us some good minutes, including moments where he actually outplayed Bam but sadly it didn't last too long (Bam is just that good).

Hayward looked fantastic. Didn't light up the scoreboard but his playmaking was great and he was also great on defense too. Just having him out there made things even tougher for Miami and easier for us. Also meant no Ojeyele which is another win LOL 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1183 on: September 20, 2020, 12:05:06 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
I'll take the win but all the same problems reared their head once again tonight.

It's so obvious we're the more talented team, but unfortunately our coach is just not good enough.  We win in spite of Brad, not because of him.

Gordy looked okay out there, so that is good.  Hopefully he gets back to where he was before the ankle sprain.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Brad's game management is awful ................... I am very bothered that a 20+ point lead was down to 5 points with no timeouts called to re-focus the offense, which was obviously out of sorts late in the 4th.

What about Brad's game management that got us to the 20 point lead? Any thoughts on that?

True, but these points aren't mutually exclusive. Brad has done a fantastic job training this team. But he does need to be more proactive in preventing slides. This is a young team and they need time to focus sometimes.

To be fair, MIA gets more 4 or 5 point plays/possessions than any team I have ever seen. That along with Duncan Robinson being the best shooter on earth - especially in the clutch - makes it so the Heat can make up ground fast.

Of course we need to do our best to prevent this from happening, but at least we were able to fight back from 'adversity' tonight rather than crumble to pieces like we did the last two games. I should note that I'm glad Smart knocked down his FTs at the end, but I absolutely hated that take to the hoop when we were up 5 - just a terrible possession and luckily we were bailed out.

Our confidence is rightfully not high on that front. We don't have the credibility right now to "feel" like we're in rhythm at the end of games. But more repetition/experience and this will be easier for the club and the fans. It is coming.

« Reply #1184 on: September 20, 2020, 12:06:27 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Interesting from Twitter, Seth Davis of ESPN and Tom Penders, the ex Texas coach both thought that call on Jaylen was crap. Forget the flagrant, shouldn't have been a foul in the first place because Robinson was looking to get hit.

I agree. To me, Robinson leaned in as Jaylen was switching the ball over and prevented him from completing his motion. If that’s a flagrant 1, defenders ought to just start leaning in like that at the end of games.