Author Topic: Trade ideas to build depth: Konchar, Carter, Achiuwa  (Read 5664 times)

Trade ideas to build depth: Konchar, Carter, Achiuwa
« on: December 14, 2023, 12:25:32 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Feels like some of the guys signed in the off season aren't ever going to get another shot. Stevens, Brissett mainly. Banton playing some. Svi not so much. My ideas would be to try add someone to the bench rotation and NOT replace them. If Al is 6th man, Hauser 7, PP 8, maybe Kornet is 9?

With all these ideas, can we get by with adding 2nds or pick swaps or will one take a protected first?

Idea 1: trade for Jevon Carter with TPE. Insurance at PG more than anything. Also a solid defender at G if needed.

Idea 2: Stevens and Brissett for Achiuwa. Signed 2 guys as undersized 4s and they didn't work. Trade for a guy who is a little bigger.

Idea 3: Konchar for Svi.

Idea 4: Sign Blake. Maybe he just plays on Day 2 of back to backs to fill in for Al.

New Bench:

6. AL
7. Hauser
8. PP
9. Achiuwa
10. Kornet
11. Konchar
12. Carter
13. Banton
14. Blake
15. Walsh

The other positive is Carter and Konchars salaries could be combined in the off-season to trade for a decent player King around 13 million? So maybe make the deals now for depth but also looking ahead to next season.

Re: Trade ideas to build depth: Konchar, Carter, Achiuwa
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 01:36:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The other positive is Carter and Konchars salaries could be combined in the off-season to trade for a decent player King around 13 million? So maybe make the deals now for depth but also looking ahead to next season.

Assuming we're over the second apron in the off-season, we won't be allowed to aggregate salaries in trade anymore, unfortunately.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 01:43:21 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
That makes sense, I wasn't sure. Still two guys making Over 6 mil that could help next season or traded individually in the off-season.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 01:58:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
To be honest, I am not that excited about Jevon Carter.  I would rather use the TPE on Achiuwa, if he is available. I would be all for bringing Griffin back if there is a spot for him.

It is true that a $6.2M TPE does not buy all that much these days, but hopefully something will come available.  I would be happy if it was Achiuwa, but I don't think he would have that much of a role come playoff time.  He is a solid big to help reduce the load on Porzingis and Horford during the season though.

I wonder if a more productive strategy would be to try and get Brissett and/or Stevens to the point where they are actually useful players.  Based on their careers prior to Boston, you would think they could be doing more.  What is the problem there?  Is there some way to fix the problem.  If those two guys became actually useful, that would solve our depth problem.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 02:50:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder if a more productive strategy would be to try and get Brissett and/or Stevens to the point where they are actually useful players.  Based on their careers prior to Boston, you would think they could be doing more.  What is the problem there?  Is there some way to fix the problem.  If those two guys became actually useful, that would solve our depth problem.

Yeah.  The coaching staff has got to find a way to work these two in.  They're "dirt dog" / "grit and grind" type guys.  Every team should be able to find a slot for them, even if they're going through a slump.

This was a great skill of Stevens, particularly early in his career.  He knew how to find time for flawed, incomplete basketball players.  It hasn't been a strength of either Ime or Joe.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 02:57:33 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
I'd take Achiuwa in an instant.  I see him as a playable version of Brissett.  Athletic, switchy, good offensive rebounder.  Better finisher in the paint than Brissett is.  Neither should be taking jumpshots except in emergencies.  Inability to hit free throws might become a factor in the event that he gets playoff minutes, but probably won't matter much in the regular season.

He'd be a good tool to have in the box against teams like Cleveland who have dangerous pullup shooters out of the screen game.  He would give us an option to play those actions straight up with a switch, instead of having to get creative with pre-switching off-ball or mismatching KP onto a wing like we did late in the last game. 

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 03:50:14 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Ideally we could add Achiuwa and Caruso to the rotation because they wouldn't miss a beat on defense. Unfortunately I think Caruso makes a little too much. Maybe PP and 3 other contracts would get it but hard to see that happening.

Also, really don't want Caruso ending up in Miami or Philly.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 08:13:44 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton

Yeah.  The coaching staff has got to find a way to work these two in.  They're "dirt dog" / "grit and grind" type guys.  Every team should be able to find a slot for them, even if they're going through a slump.

This was a great skill of Stevens, particularly early in his career.  He knew how to find time for flawed, incomplete basketball players.  It hasn't been a strength of either Ime or Joe.

You spoke it into existence- a Lamar Stevens sighting tonight!

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 08:19:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Konchar is a bum. He is no better than what we have. He can't provide offense consistently enough to help his teams. He is an all-defense / no offense small SG. Our big wings who do the same like Banton and L Stevens are more valuable because of their extra size and length. Konchar is a downgrade from them.

Jevon Carter would be good insurance but I wouldn't take the salary / tax hit if I were ownership for a 3rd string PG. I would for someone who makes the main rotation better. Not for the deep bench / insurance policy. Too expensive with the luxury tax.

Achiuwa is useful end of bench guy. So is L Stevens. Achiuwa would be more useful because Banton can do what L Stevens does whereas we have nobody who can do what Achiuwa does. He would be a good alternative to Kornet and would play ahead of Kornet. Better athlete. More moble on defense. Not much of a player but he'd have some value here. He'd be worthwhile.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 08:21:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Ideally we could add Achiuwa and Caruso to the rotation because they wouldn't miss a beat on defense. Unfortunately I think Caruso makes a little too much. Maybe PP and 3 other contracts would get it but hard to see that happening.

Reports out of Chicago that they are making Caruso unavailable in trades. I have no idea why. Their stars are available in trades but their backup guard isn't. That team has no direction from their front office.

They should be cashing in on Caruso and using whatever asset (1st round pick) they can get to build a better future. They are on the road to nowhere. Instead, they make him unavailable as if he is some type of star talent. Incredible.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 09:15:04 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton

Reports out of Chicago that they are making Caruso unavailable in trades. I have no idea why. Their stars are available in trades but their backup guard isn't. That team has no direction from their front office.

They should be cashing in on Caruso and using whatever asset (1st round pick) they can get to build a better future. They are on the road to nowhere. Instead, they make him unavailable as if he is some type of star talent. Incredible.

If I was them, I would pair Caruso with Lavine to make someone at least THINK about taking on Lavines contract!

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 12:01:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

Assuming we're over the second apron in the off-season, we won't be allowed to aggregate salaries in trade anymore, unfortunately.
you can still do a 2 for 1 can't you? Just can't take in more salary than you send out, I thought.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Trade ideas to build depth: Konchar, Carter, Achiuwa, Stewart, Olynyk
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2023, 08:03:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I am reviving this thread for entertainment during the long holiday period.

The hot name for the C's currently is Isaiah Stewart. Go google the chatter.

I would also throw out Kelly Olynyk. He could back up KP without a fundamental change in the offense (he's a stretch 5 like KP).

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 11:35:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
To be honest, I am not that excited about Jevon Carter.  I would rather use the TPE on Achiuwa, if he is available. I would be all for bringing Griffin back if there is a spot for him.

It is true that a $6.2M TPE does not buy all that much these days, but hopefully something will come available.  I would be happy if it was Achiuwa, but I don't think he would have that much of a role come playoff time.  He is a solid big to help reduce the load on Porzingis and Horford during the season though.

I agree.  Is Carter an upgrade over Pritchard?  I don't think so. 

Re: Trade ideas to build depth: Konchar, Carter, Achiuwa, Stewart, Olynyk
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2023, 12:42:36 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I am reviving this thread for entertainment during the long holiday period.

The hot name for the C's currently is Isaiah Stewart. Go google the chatter.

I would also throw out Kelly Olynyk. He could back up KP without a fundamental change in the offense (he's a stretch 5 like KP).
I like Stewart but I don’t see how they could get him. Was hoping they could snag him pre extension but might be too rich for the Cs to make a trade and then pay that salary. He’s going to get $16 mil a year for 4 years and for a team that just let G Williams go, I have a hard time believing they would trade assets AND pay that salary/luxury tax.