Author Topic: Trade reactions and reality  (Read 3932 times)

Trade reactions and reality
« on: November 24, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I always am amused from the worlds reaction to sports trades, elections and other transactions that occur.   

My question is this for those passionate people that respond with vigor, hate, happiness and "extra" comments.    When a trade happens I get the initial opinion.   

But how long does it really take to classify a trade as good, bad or horrible?   

Am I just to patient in waiting to classify a trade or addition from subtraction until the next year pans out?   
Diggles

Re: Trade reactions and reality
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Oh, it takes years to figure out of a trade was good or bad. And sometimes, you still wouldn't know.

But we'd have no fun around here if we had to wait. ;)

Mike

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Part of what makes sports enjoyable is the predictions about how your team will do in the future. So anything that adds or subtracts to your perception of your teams future success is worth reacting to, IMO. It’s part of being a fan.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
There's a difference (I think) bet`ween a bad trade and one that doesn't ultimately play out well.    Knowing how the Kyrie trade played out, of course I wish we hadn't made the trade though I loved it at the time.  Every trade/signing is a risk with many factors that are not clearly predictable. Same goes with the GH signing -- I wanted it; thrilled we got him -- didn't work out all that well due to injuries.

Some here rightfully predicted (Roy is one if memory serves) that Kyrie's attitude would be a big problem and they opposed the trade.  They were correct, I was wrong.    Had he re-signed here and somehow KD came here, would that change the analysis of the trade?  Or was it simply a good or bad risk at the outset that we have to accept can work out either way. instead of saying "bad trade" we'd just say it didn't work out as hoped. Is there a difference?... not sure.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
At first thought , i was against Kyrie trade , but quickly changed my tune deciding it was rare position for Celtics to be in , unique opportunity and maybe i was being closed minded .  Maybe Celtics can change him some ... ???

I lived to regret that open mindedness.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 06:28:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
There are multiple points you can judge a trade that includes even if one isn't made. I don't mind people who speak up about their position at any point. People's opinions and news on the NBA is what I come on here for. I suppose each person decides for themselves if a trade was good.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 07:49:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'd take Barnes off of Sac's hand anytime.  Career avg of 14/5, played on championship teams in GS, has played 6th man before and started.

PG: Kemba Walker - Jeff Teague - Pritchard
SG: Jaylen Brown - Marcus Smart - Romeo Langford
SF: Jayson Tatum - Aaron Nesmith
PF: Harrison Barnes - Grant Williams - Semi Ojeleye
C: Tristan Thompson - Daniel Theis - Robert Williams

Still need to fill out the roster, Believe we have two TPE's from Porier and Kanter, a BAE, and if it's Barnes, the rest of that TPE.  Can't combine them, but still should be able to fill in the roster nicely.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 08:07:55 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'd take Barnes off of Sac's hand anytime.  Career avg of 14/5, played on championship teams in GS, has played 6th man before and started.

Still need to fill out the roster, Believe we have two TPE's from Porier and Kanter, a BAE, and if it's Barnes, the rest of that TPE.  Can't combine them, but still should be able to fill in the roster nicely.

Would love Barnes. Would be one of those moves that gets looked back on as the final push of a championship team.

Other players I think would be of huge help to the team in that backup sf/pf role would be:
Terrence Ross
Norman Bjelica
Aaron Gordon
James Johnson
Taurean Prince
Rudy Gay
a Healthy Justice Winslow
Norman Powell
GR3

Perhaps Donnovan Mitchell will just demand he get traded here. He will fit into the tpe easily since his extension hasnt kicked in yet.  :laugh:
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Would love Barnes. Would be one of those moves that gets looked back on as the final push of a championship team.

Other players I think would be of huge help to the team in that backup sf/pf role would be:
Terrence Ross
Norman Bjelica
Aaron Gordon
James Johnson
Taurean Prince
Rudy Gay
Norman Powell
GR3

Perhaps Donnovan Mitchell will just demand he get traded here. He will fit into the tpe easily since his extension hasnt kicked in yet.  :laugh:

Harrison Barnes = Jeff Green. He's a fine rotation piece to have but I don't think he adds a lot to this team. His defense has gotten a bit worse in Sacramento on and off ball. If he were an expiring contract that would add no financial obligations past this year, I think I'd be more for it. But if he is going to add complications like needing to trade him away or picking between him and someone else in coming years, I'd rather not.

I like the idea of Terrance Ross. He's a guy you can play in the playoffs and can absolutely swing a game for you. I'm out of Bjelica. He can't play defense in the NBA.

Of the other guys you listed, many of them either duplicate too much of what our team already does or have those extra years that make our cap structure pretty difficult moving forward.

The one I would do that for is Aaron Gordon, if the Magic would consider some combination of Robert Williams or Romeo Langford with a future first. I think Gordon could play small ball 5 and would be a solid defensive presence to use in spurts against Bam, Giannis, Durant, etc. His one-on-one defense against the best players last year was sneaky good. I also love the idea of making him the screener in the pick-and-roll game with Walker.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Terrence Ross
Norman Bjelica
Aaron Gordon
James Johnson
Taurean Prince
Rudy Gay
Norman Powell
GR3

Harrison Barnes = Jeff Green. He's a fine rotation piece to have but I don't think he adds a lot to this team. His defense has gotten a bit worse in Sacramento on and off ball. If he were an expiring contract that would add no financial obligations past this year, I think I'd be more for it. But if he is going to add complications like needing to trade him away or picking between him and someone else in coming years, I'd rather not.

I like the idea of Terrance Ross. He's a guy you can play in the playoffs and can absolutely swing a game for you. I'm out of Bjelica. He can't play defense in the NBA.

Of the other guys you listed, many of them either duplicate too much of what our team already does or have those extra years that make our cap structure pretty difficult moving forward.

The one I would do that for is Aaron Gordon, if the Magic would consider some combination of Robert Williams or Romeo Langford with a future first. I think Gordon could play small ball 5 and would be a solid defensive presence to use in spurts against Bam, Giannis, Durant, etc. His one-on-one defense against the best players last year was sneaky good. I also love the idea of making him the screener in the pick-and-roll game with Walker.

I don't want to give up Robert Williams, but I would give Langford + first rounder. Of course Edwards and Ojeleye can be included as well if Orlando wants to.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 08:54:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Gobert or bust 8)

Seriously though, I'd be happy with Barnes or Gordon.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 09:00:48 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Terrence Ross
Norman Bjelica
Aaron Gordon
James Johnson
Taurean Prince
Rudy Gay
Norman Powell
GR3

I don't want to give up Robert Williams, but I would give Langford + first rounder. Of course Edwards and Ojeleye can be included as well if Orlando wants to.

Romeo, Edwards and a future first for Gordon is a steal for us. 100/10 times make that deal

Walker/Teague/PP
Brown/Smart/Green
Tatum/Nesmith/Semi
Gordon/GrantW
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

Still need to add to some of the depth chart but looking really good. Would be very happy with the top 10.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 01:14:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Terrence Ross
Norman Bjelica
Aaron Gordon
James Johnson
Taurean Prince
Rudy Gay
Norman Powell
GR3

aaron gordon is an excellent athlete and a good basketball player. but, i am not sure he fits with the celtics very well.

first, he is making almost $20 million, which would put a strain on boston's budget to keep him beyond this year.

next, he is pretty poor shooter from mid and long range, only at 32% lifetime on 3 pointers. this means he cannot really be on the floor at the same time as TL, theis, or thompson without hurting the team's ability to stretch the floor.

so, that is a lot of money to pay someone who will see situational minutes.

third, gordon is 6'8". that means he likely will not solve the challenge of a celtic center who can really slow down the big centers in the league. as a center, he would be 3rd or 4th i think on the roster.

i like gordon, but i dont see him fitting well with the celtics.

further, Orlando turned down an offer  of two first round picks for Gordon. so any offer would have to start there. that is a lot to give up for him.

if ainge uses the TPE on a mid-season trade, i could see rose depending upon walker's health and teague's performance. larry nance might be a fit as a wing.

i think ainge will wait and see whether there is an injury or need, then decide.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I would add two names:
Dinwiddie and LeVert from Brooklyn.
I think the expectation is that a trade for harden can happen anytime now and those two will be main outgoing pieces on Brooklyn’s side. Danny should be ready to snatch one or why not even both as they fit in the TPE.
I think 3 of Romeo , Timelord, nesmith and Pritchard can go plus 2 first rounders.
Both levert and din fit our timeline perfectly and also fit with the Js and smart

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I would add two names:
Dinwiddie and LeVert from Brooklyn.
I think the expectation is that a trade for harden can happen anytime now and those two will be main outgoing pieces on Brooklyn’s side. Danny should be ready to snatch one or why not even both as they fit in the TPE.
I think 3 of Romeo , Timelord, nesmith and Pritchard can go plus 2 first rounders.
Both levert and din fit our timeline perfectly and also fit with the Js and smart

We're due for a good Nets fleecing. 
Yup