Author Topic: Question: Hayward S&T  (Read 3664 times)

Question: Hayward S&T
« on: November 19, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I’ve heard that the Celtics are Hayward’s ticket to Indiana via S&T and the talk track has been that this is the only path. Isn’t it possible that Atlanta or New York could be the same enabler of Hayward to Indiana using their cap space?

So in theory, let’s say either the Knicks or Atlanta have interest in the same package that has been rumored Indiana would include in a trade to us (Myles Turner/Doug McDermott) couldn’t they S&T Hayward similarly?

Re: Question: Hayward S&T
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I’ve heard that the Celtics are Hayward’s ticket to Indiana via S&T and the talk track has been that this is the only path. Isn’t it possible that Atlanta or New York could be the same enabler of Hayward to Indiana using their cap space?

So in theory, let’s say either the Knicks or Atlanta have interest in the same package that has been rumored Indiana would include in a trade to us (Myles Turner/Doug McDermott) couldn’t they S&T Hayward similarly?

I do not think you can sign a free agent and then flip him immediately.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:09:21 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 07:09:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I do not think you can sign a free gent and then flip him immediately.

Correct.  You can’t sign and trade another team’s free agent, and free agents can’t be traded until Dec 15 at the earliest.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:11:29 PM »

• Al Horford
But in theory this could drag to 12/15 and the scenario I outlined is feasible (however unlikely)? Or is it truly impossible?

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:14:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
But in theory this could drag to 12/15 and the scenario I outlined is feasible (however unlikely)? Or is it truly impossible?

interesting technicality I am sure the NBA has probably extended the trading restrictions in line with the extension of the free agency and draft dates.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 07:23:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I looked up the rule.  No trading a signed free agent for 90 days or Dec 15, whichever is later.  In some cases, it’s Jan 15, although those deadlines are irrelevant this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 07:25:34 PM »

• Al Horford
TP for clarification to both. I think this is a huge blemish on Ainges track record as a GM to play a little dirty like this. Another topic for another thread.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 07:27:07 PM »

• Al Horford
Or maybe it is the inverse of this and Pritchard is trying to fleece us knowing we would need to be humane given CBS and Gordon’s relationship.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 07:28:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
TP for clarification to both. I think this is a huge blemish on Ainges track record as a GM to play a little dirty like this. Another topic for another thread.

In what way is Ainge playing dirty?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 07:33:10 PM »

• Al Horford
Well I should have been clearer that it is speculation that he is playing games but if there is truth to the Indy rumors, and we just haven’t been able to find a path to a structure to complete the deal which is clearly evident given the extension of the deadline which seems to be a window to allow for longer negotiations, then it seems like either Ainge is digging in, Pritchard is digging in or both are and there is no deal. So I guess my opinion is coming through that it is Ainge given his track record of trying to “win” trades.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well I should have been clearer that it is speculation that he is playing games but if there is truth to the Indy rumors, and we just haven’t been able to find a path to a structure to complete the deal which is clearly evident given the extension of the deadline which seems to be a window to allow for longer negotiations, then it seems like either Ainge is digging in, Pritchard is digging in or both are and there is no deal. So I guess my opinion is coming through that it is Ainge given his track record of trying to “win” trades.

Sign and trades can't happen until free agency has opened. There's no delaying going on here.

There was a possibility of Hayward opting in and being dealt there, but that was basically the worst case scenario for Hayward (doesn't get long term security) and the Pacers (have to pay him more next year and have to send out more money to match salaries). Assuming that it's because Ainge is "playing dirty" here doesn't have any basis
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »

• Al Horford
@BitterJim

Didn’t free agency start today? @ 4pm?

You’ve gotta be kidding me if you don’t think the extension for Hayward to opt in wasn’t attached to BOS/IND coming to terms on parameter of a deal...

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 08:13:57 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
@BitterJim

You’ve gotta be kidding me if you don’t think the extension for Hayward to opt in wasn’t attached to BOS/IND coming to terms on parameter of a deal...

Free Agency starts tomorrow at 6pm

I highly doubt there would be any extend and trade happening, they're exceedingly rare (and that's the only way Hayward could get an extension with the Pacers). Like, I can only think of 2 that have ever happened, and they were superstars (KG coming here and Melo going to New York). And that still doesn't solve the biggest problem for Indiana, which is the extra salary they would need to send out (if Hayward signed for $10 million less in year 1, that means $8 million less in outgoing salary for the Pacers. That's huge.)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 08:14:39 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
@BitterJim

Tomorrow night, 6pm.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 08:21:19 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
@BitterJim

Tomorrow night, 6pm.

Mike
Official signings can begin Sunday at 12:00am.