Author Topic: Julius Randle ?  (Read 3458 times)

Julius Randle ?
« on: November 20, 2020, 08:16:17 AM »

Offline MARrshh

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Any chance the Celtics might pick up Julius Randle in a potential Gordon Haywood deal? 

I've never thought Randle has peaked yet.  Maybe never going to be a Beast down low, but a Force To Be Reckoned With, for sure.

Maybe a good fit ?

Re: Julius Randle ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 08:19:38 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Probably not. They can just sign Gordon outright because they have cap space.

Our best chance at picking up a player for Gordon is in a sign & trade deal with a team that's over the cap. Otherwise, the best we could do is a trade exception and even then, there's no reason for a team with cap to cooperate.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 08:35:02 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Would only want the TPE so that we can get wood with it.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I assume you mean Christian Wood? I feel like I'm living in a warped reality this NBA offseason, where a team needs 5 first round picks to trade for Jrue Holiday, and the Celtics would need a trade exception to sign a player that has been on 5 different teams in 5 years. If Wood was any good, one of those teams would have kept him by now.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

I assume you mean Christian Wood? I feel like I'm living in a warped reality this NBA offseason, where a team needs 5 first round picks to trade for Jrue Holiday, and the Celtics would need a trade exception to sign a player that has been on 5 different teams in 5 years. If Wood was any good, one of those teams would have kept him by now.

Woods problem was always between the ears. He grew up, he matured.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/02/13/wood-making-his-biggest-contribution-pistons/4748652002/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5kv9_FPvyY&t=107s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbkSMpdmlz8

Kemba/wood
Tatum/wood

pick and rolls with Brown, Nesmith on the wings would be unstoppable.

His defense is lacking still, but improving, and under stevens he will be as good as theis.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:39:15 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Christian Wood's career trajectory is similar to what went on with Hassan Whiteside but the difference is that he possesses a much more modern NBA friendly skill set.

I remember a time where people were willing to give big men the benefit of the doubt that they take longer to develop. Wood's always been a productive player, if he's finally matured into a legitimate professional then he potentially has immense value to a contender.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Christian Wood's career trajectory is similar to what went on with Hassan Whiteside but the difference is that he possesses a much more modern NBA friendly skill set.

I remember a time where people were willing to give big men the benefit of the doubt that they take longer to develop. Wood's always been a productive player, if he's finally matured into a legitimate professional then he potentially has immense value to a contender.

Happy to see someone else on this same wavelength. TP.

Wood had a stellar 15 games for a completely decrepit Pistons team with no one else to give the ball to in a contract year. He is going to get massively overpaid in this FA class because of his small sample size.

I’d rather have Randle over Wood. But Randle isn’t a good fit here right now. I don’t want to be the sucker paying Wood 100 mil over the next 4 years.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If we dump Kemba on the knicks and sign Wood and Bogdanovich using cap space... will that make us a better team?

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If we dump Kemba on the knicks and sign Wood and Bogdanovich using cap space... will that make us a better team?

We won't have cap space. We could do sign and trades using a trade exception/as part of a big 3 team deal, but we would be hard capped at the tax apron if we did. I think the two of them combined would make too much for us to stay under, but I'm also not really sure what Bogdan's market is (especially if the Hawks are looking to sign him)

Edit: Just noticed you said dumping Kemba, not Hayward. That would open up cap space for us, but I don't see why the Knicks would do it (if they really want to bring in a star, Hayward would be cheaper)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 09:58:27 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

We won't have cap space. We could do sign and trades using a trade exception/as part of a big 3 team deal, but we would be hard capped at the tax apron if we did. I think the two of them combined would make too much for us to stay under, but I'm also not really sure what Bogdan's market is (especially if the Hawks are looking to sign him)

Edit: Just noticed you said dumping Kemba, not Hayward. That would open up cap space for us, but I don't see why the Knicks would do it (if they really want to bring in a star, Hayward would be cheaper)
I should have clarified.. I think if we dump Kemba, Kanter and Carsen we could get to about $40 mill in cap space... that should be enough for both... we could also use a room exception on Bradley or Augustine or Dunn or someone that can run an offense for 15 min a night

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

I should have clarified.. I think if we dump Kemba, Kanter and Carsen we could get to about $40 mill in cap space... that should be enough for both... we could also use a room exception on Bradley or Augustine or Dunn or someone that can run an offense for 15 min a night

If we can straight cut Kemba and Haywards salary off the team that would be pretty awesome. lol.

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

If we can straight cut Kemba and Haywards salary off the team that would be pretty awesome. lol.
Haywards cap hold we can just release so he’s not on the books... it’s Kemba and kanter left to clear which is probably not impossible.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Any chance the Celtics might pick up Julius Randle in a potential Gordon Haywood deal? 

I've never thought Randle has peaked yet.  Maybe never going to be a Beast down low, but a Force To Be Reckoned With, for sure.

Maybe a good fit ?

None. Danny probably holds grudges....

Randle wasnt pleased Danny asked him to comeback for a 2nd workout... along the lines, " I did what I could. No 2nd workout. Up to them"

Celtics chose Smart at the draft

Randle, Josh Jackson will never be a Celtic under Danny watch

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This thread derailed fast. The OP started it to discuss Julius Randle and it has turned into a thread about Christian Wood and dumping Kemba's salary for nothing. Let's try to stay on topic.

As for Randle, I don't absolutely hate his game, but I'm not quite sure of his fit on the Cs. I like Theis better as a Center and I am not sure Randle would be happy in Kanter's role. He certainly provides offense and rebounding and at least would be a change of pace type of player in the front court.

All things being equal, though - if we absolutely have to trade Hayward - I prefer Turner, Capela, and even the TPE to Randle.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Haywards cap hold we can just release so he’s not on the books... it’s Kemba and kanter left to clear which is probably not impossible.

I would love it. What team will take Kemba for no salary though?

If Atlanta does Hayward, NYK probably does Kemba?

After the picks there would be close on 40 mill in capspace, 45 if Kanter is traded for nothing, wow lol.

Smart/PP
Brown/Romeo
Nesmith
Tatum/GrantW
Theis/Timelord

Alot of options with 40plus million dollars and that as your foundation.
'21 Historical Draft