Author Topic: Cs looking for Top 3 pick (2020 Draft)  (Read 15121 times)

Re: Cs looking for Top 3 pick (2020 Draft)
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 12:28:40 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Does anyone think Danny has a thing for Deni? It would come out of left field but not shock me. Wiseman could be nice but whenever I think Danny is going the obvious route, he throws me for a loop which is more then fine with me! I trust his talent evaluation skills at the top of the draft for sure.

I really like Deni, and its a possibility.

Sandwiching Deni between Brown and Tatum could be a really smart move if Deni gets that shot ironed out. His defense and playmaking ability are some of the best in the draft.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2020, 12:29:31 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Don't know if this has been floated on the board yet, but I think the top 3 pick would be for a Beal trade rather than a prospect. Hayward to ATL in a sign and trade. ATL would have no reason to give us any real assets since they can sign GH outright, but if they agree to a sign and trade we would get a massive 34M trade exception. We could then trade for Beal using that trade exception without having to match salaries. So we would basically be sending a massive draft pick package to Washington for Beal headlined by a top 3 in this draft followed by a bunch of future 1sts/swaps like we've seen in other deals for stars. But it would allow us to keep a core of Kemba, Beal, Brown, Tatum, and possibly Smart (if we can get to 3 without including him). In addition to the draft pick compensation, Washington would be saving a crapload of $ for a bad team in a year with no fans under this scenario.

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920
I think the Golden State deal makes the most sense surrounding some combination of Hayward and one or more of our picks for 2 and taking on Wiggins’ contract. Seems like a good trade for both sides given the context.

I could also see a trade with the Bulls for either 4 or something like WCJ.

But what would happen after that is beyond me. Do we use the pick and think more long-term about our window? Do we flip it for a star, and if so, who?

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the Golden State deal makes the most sense surrounding some combination of Hayward and one or more of our picks for 2 and taking on Wiggins’ contract. Seems like a good trade for both sides given the context.

But what would happen after that is beyond me. Do we use the pick and think more long-term about our window? Do we flip it for a star, and if so, who?

Yeah, in trying to piece this together - Bulls are offering WCJ/#4 for #2. If GSW is [strangely] more interested in Hayward/picks for Wiggins/#2 than they are CHI's offer, then we could make that same deal with CHI, and walk away with WCJ/Wiggins/#4 for Hayward and picks...which would be absolutely insane value given that Hayward could just sign with ATL right now. I'm not a huge Wiggins fan, but I'd love WCJ and #4. Probably not realistic, but it certainly would be intriguing.

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny is a great drafter when he has really high picks. He isn’t very good in the middle and lower as he was last year and as he is this year. Still baffled at picking Romeo last season.

It seem the C's were keyed on Herro until Miami did the typical Miami thing and drafted him.  I think Romeo is going to be a good player if he can stay healthy but man Herro would have looked so good in Celtic Green.

I do believe herro was the pick. But settling on Romeo was baffling. Kid was a major disappointment at Indiana. Was constantly hurt there. Still is hurt now. Was not a good shooter. Still is not a good shooter. He has James young written all over him. Was probably going to be there with the later pick they had.

Clark would have been so much better.

Maybe. Then again, when Clarke was Langford's age was he even an nba prospect? How much better is he going to get?

Romeo showed my in extremely limited playing time then James Young EVER showed in college and  NBA combined.  Romeo ALREADY can play defense.  Young was a deer in the headlights.  Looked like a matador vs bull.  He was drafted because he had a beautiful stroke that he just could not translate into a NBA 3pt marksman.  Romeo's shooting is a work in progress but he is 10x more talented then Young.  If he stays healthy he's already a 10-12 minute rotational player because he can play D and get to the hoop.  Definitely a poor comparison.  Romeo will at worst will play in the NBA for 6-8 years as a end of bench player.  At best he's a decent starter to key bench player.  All depends on health and his improved shooting.

He has not been healthy since his junior year in school. He needs to be more than an end of the bench player. I don’t see anything out of him that suggests he is going to be a guy they can count on. In a year or two they will move from him like they have so many others.

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2020, 12:56:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I wouldn't be surprised if Danny liked Edwards. That would be the draft day surprise peeps forgot to think about...

Future:

Smart
Edwards
Brown
Tatum
X

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2020, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
From a luxury tax perspective, packaging Wiggins and the #2 pick for Hayward makes sense. Not only will Wiggins make around $30M next season, but the #2 pick will make about $9M too. And with hardly any time for training camp, I can’t see how a draft pick will provide any useful impact this season. Hayward is an excellent player that would fit in perfectly with Golden State. I still don’t think Wiggins fits in with that group (I think Golden State was more concerned with retaining the salary slot than the player when they traded for him…I think it went from Durant to D’Angelo Russell).

The major downside for the Celtics is the luxury tax penalty. With Hayward’s last year of his deal being next season, it lined up perfectly for when the team needed to extend Tatum. If this trade happens, that would mean the Celtics would have Kemba ($36M), Brown ($26M), Wiggins ($31.5M), Smart ($14M), #2 pick (around $10M) and Tatum (max – say $34M). That is around $151.5M with just 6 players.

I saw something on ESPN recently about the luxury tax penalty for Golden State this season…it was around $50M but could jump to $150M depending on if they make any moves. Did anyone else see this?

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I do, as well. It’s not just wishful thinking but I think it’s that there’s a split in Boston about Hayward even being that good of a player even if he IS healthy. I’m someone that think he is all star LEVEL still. Plus they play beautiful hoop there where everyone shares the ball. Hayward does too. It’s a great fit. Wiseman is just a giant body. WcJ is solid but no Al Horford when it comes to moving the ball and moving yourself. This is what golden state and Hayward do extremely well.

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
They may trade Smart to Golden State..he be great for them
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Smart would be great in any team. Including boston.

He isnt going anywhere
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2020, 04:13:28 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413

He isnt going anywhere
Hope u right but who knows with Ainge
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2020, 04:16:59 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

He isnt going anywhere

More and more I just see this team's core as Tatum (22), Brown (24) and Smart (26). They need to build around that. Those three still need to continue to improve though.

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can't wait for the post-draft Ainge interview "We had a lot of possibilities that we discussed, but at the end of the day we couldn't get anything completed and we liked where we stood with the picks we had" then the presser introducing three rookies who will hardly see the floor.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2020, 04:19:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He isnt going anywhere

More and more I just see this team's core as Tatum (22), Brown (24) and Smart (26). They need to build around that. Those three still need to continue to improve though.

Totally agreed.  Making a run at the title is going to come down to finding the right two guys to have out there in crunch time next to those three.  But I do think those three are the foundation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2020, 04:21:02 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Can't wait for the post-draft Ainge interview "We had a lot of possibilities that we discussed, but at the end of the day we couldn't get anything completed and we liked where we stood with the picks we had" then the presser introducing three rookies who will hardly see the floor.

Don’t forget “It’s hard to make deals. Doesn’t mean we didn’t try but at the end of the day we liked keeping our picks and the guys we drafted better.”