Author Topic: Rumor: Bulls interested in Walker  (Read 9060 times)

Re: Rumor: Bulls interested in Walker
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 11:43:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Feel this thread got hi-jacked by the Harden rumors to Boston, which seem far fetched.

I think the more intriguing idea would be to trade Kemba for the 4th pick and Porter, and then package 4th and Porter to GSW for 2nd pick. 

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Feel this thread got hi-jacked by the Harden rumors to Boston, which seem far fetched.

I think the more intriguing idea would be to trade Kemba for the 4th pick and Porter, and then package 4th and Porter to GSW for 2nd pick.
why would GS want Porter?  And frankly, I think Porter would work well in Boston.  4 and 14 might be enough to get to 2, especially if GS isn't really interested in one of the players and they don't get any other interest.

That said, I have no idea why Boston would trade Kemba Walker for draft picks.  That just doesn't seem like a smart or good move to make.  You can justify moving Walker if it leads to someone like Harden, but you can't if you sell your recently signed max FA for draft picks.  It is just a terrible look and you can't do things like that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

why would GS want Porter?  And frankly, I think Porter would work well in Boston.  4 and 14 might be enough to get to 2, especially if GS isn't really interested in one of the players and they don't get any other interest.

That said, I have no idea why Boston would trade Kemba Walker for draft picks.  That just doesn't seem like a smart or good move to make.  You can justify moving Walker if it leads to someone like Harden, but you can't if you sell your recently signed max FA for draft picks.  It is just a terrible look and you can't do things like that.

If Kemba gets Porter Jr and 4
Then just trade Hayward for Wiggins and 2
And trade Wiggins for Barnes and Bjelica.

get 1 of Hayes/Haliburton
get 1 of Wiseman/Okongwu
and add a leegit bench.

Smart/Drafted PG
Brown/Romeo
Porter Jr/Barnes
Tatum/Bjelica
Theis/Drafted C
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

You move up to 2 to take Lamelo Ball, which is why you don't need Kemba. 

Porter would actually be a good fit in GS. He would fit very well into their system. They are trying to go back to win a championship this season, not to stock pile rookie contracts.

You want to win now, which is why you tend to propose trades that make us better today, by mortgaging our future (e.g., you would probably trade Brown and Smart and picks for Harden, right?)  I see this team's future longer term; let's play well now, but build for the future ( 2-3 years from now), when our best players are peaking.

Lamelo Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Theis/R Williams/other serviceable big.

That team in 2-3 years will be very competitive, as Lebron finally ages, and guys like Harden are declining.

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Porter would actually be a good fit in GS. He would fit very well into their system. They are trying to go back to win a championship this season, not to stock pile rookie contracts.

You want to win now, which is why you tend to propose trades that make us better today, by mortgaging our future (e.g., you would probably trade Brown and Smart and picks for Harden, right?)  I see this team's future longer term; let's play well now, but build for the future ( 2-3 years from now), when our best players are peaking.

Lamelo Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum

That team in 2-3 years will be very competitive, as Lebron finally ages, and guys like Harden are declining.

Lamelo Ball will never be as good as Kemba imo. I have no understanding as to why Boston would ever want him
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
The rumors of Boston wanting to get into the top 3, Chicago offering WCJ, #4 to GS for #2 and Chicago's interest in Walker seems more than coincidental and easy to link together.

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
The rumors of Boston wanting to get into the top 3, Chicago offering WCJ, #4 to GS for #2 and Chicago's interest in Walker seems more than coincidental and easy to link together.

Kemba for Porter Jr and 4
Hayward for Wiggins and 2
Wiggins to a 3rd team for a bench and savings

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Kemba for Porter Jr and 4
Hayward for Wiggins and 2
Wiggins to a 3rd team for a bench and savings
You seriously think that The management of the Bulls, warriors and the hypothetical 3rd team are that dumb

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2020, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Lamelo Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum

It is optics.  The Celtics can't trade Kemba Walker for a draft pick.  It would ruin Boston as a free agent destination. 

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2020, 01:17:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Lamelo Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum

It is optics.  The Celtics can't trade Kemba Walker for a draft pick.  It would ruin Boston as a free agent destination.

He's already been shopped.  Will Rubio trade ruin Suns' ability to get FAs?  Did D'Angelo Russell trade to Wolves ruin Warriors as a FA destination? Of course not. 

The rules have changed. Just as players in the middle of contracts can force their way to other teams, teams no longer have compunction to trade players signed as free agents.

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2020, 01:21:47 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Lamelo Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum

I think the fact that Kyrie, Al, and Gordon (assuming) have each declined their options and would rather go elsewhere, is far worse than trading Kemba after one year.

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2020, 01:24:57 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Lamelo Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum

I challenge the idea that Kemba can't be trade bc of optics, and it's not that I want to trade Kemba, I am just speaking about that idea of a team being limited in trading a FA signing. I think it's about how that player is traded (why, to where and for whom). For instance, if you are blowing due to an injury or rebuild, a team/GM would not be viewed as an untrustworthy team. Also, if the team works with the player, then the league would take notice in a postiive way(ie how the Thunder just worked with Paul). So, for instance, if Ainge got Hayward to GS or Indy (if that's his choice), it would be seen positively. I would argue trading Kemba to LA, for instance, would also be seen as a positive mark for Ainge.

I just think the blanket response of 'player x can't be traded bc no one else would sign here' is way too simple an answer and other factors are certainly at play that could make that response invalid.

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Lamelo Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum

I challenge the idea that Kemba can't be trade bc of optics, and it's not that I want to trade Kemba, I am just speaking about that idea of a team being limited in trading a FA signing. I think it's about how that player is traded (why, to where and for whom). For instance, if you are blowing due to an injury or rebuild, a team/GM would not be viewed as an untrustworthy team. Also, if the team works with the player, then the league would take notice in a postiive way(ie how the Thunder just worked with Paul). So, for instance, if Ainge got Hayward to GS or Indy (if that's his choice), it would be seen positively. I would argue trading Kemba to LA, for instance, would also be seen as a positive mark for Ainge.

I just think the blanket response of 'player x can't be traded bc no one else would sign here' is way too simple an answer and other factors are certainly at play that could make that response invalid.
I didn't say he couldn't be traded, I said you couldn't trade him for draft picks, especially given the team set up.  This is a guy that came here to win.  The team is still set up the same way.  You can't move that guy after a year for draft picks.  As I said, if you moved him for Harden, that is different, as Harden is just flat out better than him, but selling Kemba off for a top 5 pick, is a very very bad look.  It is a terrible decision from the optics standpoint.