Author Topic: Tom Thibodeau to coach Knicks  (Read 6997 times)

Re: Tom Thibodeau to coach Knicks
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man, I hope he doesn't stay there long. Nothing against Thibs personally, but unless he's learnt from past mistakes, he's going to run those young guys into the ground.

Seeing Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose and even to an extent Jimmy Butler get ground down by Thibs' insistence they play near 40 minutes has always made me a bit sad about the waste.

Such a crazy notion to expect a player to play most of a game. It’s not like they are elite athletes or anything. I guess expecting them to play more than 75% of a game is a stretch.

I could understand easing up on the second of a B2B or watching minutes for someone 35 years old, but I hate the idea that a young player playing more than 33mpg is abuse. Just 10-15 years ago playing upwards of 40 a night was normal for stars.

There's a reason 10-15 years ago player's primes were shorter.
I bet all of them would rather play right now too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 09:45:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Those poor players are gonna be run into the ground, LOL...RJ Barrett's projected career just got shortened by a few years. At least the Knicks got a legit basketball coach this time
RJ Barrett, Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson is their young core and should be able to run and play a lot of minutes.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 10:25:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Count me surprised to see the Thibs hate here. People seem to punish him with a bad wrap from Minnesota when he had to coach lazy primadonnas in KAT, Wiggins, and Butler.

Thibs is 11th all time in career winning percentage for coaches with over 500 games coached all time. Thibs has a .589 win percentage in eight seasons. He brought the Bulls (then young) to five playoffs and may have won a championship if Rose didn't get hurt. In his 7 full seasons he had had 6 above 500 teams missing the playoffs only once. He was 19-21 in his Eighth season when he got canned in Minny.

I get that he has run players into the ground but to call him a bad coach? Doesn't make sense to me.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 11:08:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Man, I hope he doesn't stay there long. Nothing against Thibs personally, but unless he's learnt from past mistakes, he's going to run those young guys into the ground.

Seeing Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose and even to an extent Jimmy Butler get ground down by Thibs' insistence they play near 40 minutes has always made me a bit sad about the waste.

Such a crazy notion to expect a player to play most of a game. It’s not like they are elite athletes or anything. I guess expecting them to play more than 75% of a game is a stretch.

I could understand easing up on the second of a B2B or watching minutes for someone 35 years old, but I hate the idea that a young player playing more than 33mpg is abuse. Just 10-15 years ago playing upwards of 40 a night was normal for stars.

Oh definitely! Not only would their careers be longer, they would have a much, much easier time scoring in today's NBA. Guys like Magic, Bird, McHale, MJ, Barkley, Olajuwon, Reggie Miller, etc. would have been devastating in today's league.

Those guys were made for the modern NBA game. Instead many of them spent half their prime hobbling around and retired early from all the physical pounding their bodies got in the old days.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 10:05:41 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I get that he has run players into the ground but to call him a bad coach? Doesn't make sense to me.

i don't know what is more crazy ... calling TT bad coach or Jimmy Butler lazy..... ?!?!?!?

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 02:01:10 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Not sure Mr. T is going to entice superstar free agents to come to the Big Apple. There are not many KG's out there who want a Defensive minded team.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 03:07:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I don't know, can you really blame Thibbs for Derrick Rose's bad knees (for example)?  I agree that Thibbs is probably not going to attract top FAs and inspire greatness from the top players but he will give you a solid team as he has always done.  Kind of a high floor, low ceiling play by the Knicks.  Maybe that is exactly what they need.  No big name coach is going to want the Knicks until they show they can walk (before they run).

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I don't know, can you really blame Thibbs for Derrick Rose's bad knees (for example)?  I agree that Thibbs is probably not going to attract top FAs and inspire greatness from the top players but he will give you a solid team as he has always done.  Kind of a high floor, low ceiling play by the Knicks.  Maybe that is exactly what they need.  No big name coach is going to want the Knicks until they show they can walk (before they run).
I’m not blaming him for Rose’s knees, but rather his handling of him generally.

I feel like a safe hire like Atkinson would’ve been wise. But knowing the Knicks the other guy they would’ve hired would be Kidd or someone

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 12:17:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Won’t end well.

I can see the tears from Knicks fans a couple years from now.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 10:32:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Count me surprised to see the Thibs hate here. People seem to punish him with a bad wrap from Minnesota when he had to coach lazy primadonnas in KAT, Wiggins, and Butler.

Thibs is 11th all time in career winning percentage for coaches with over 500 games coached all time. Thibs has a .589 win percentage in eight seasons. He brought the Bulls (then young) to five playoffs and may have won a championship if Rose didn't get hurt. In his 7 full seasons he had had 6 above 500 teams missing the playoffs only once. He was 19-21 in his Eighth season when he got canned in Minny.

Bumping this.

Tommy Thibs was the best acquisition of the off-season.

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 10:32:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Bumping this.

I think it's funny that you've bumped a post where you call Jimmy Butler a lazy primadonna

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 10:40:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Bumping this.

I think it's funny that you've bumped a post where you call Jimmy Butler a lazy primadonna

Apparently you didn’t watch his time in Minnesota.

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 10:57:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Bumping this.

I don't think blowing up about a pathetic franchise is really that much of a fault if I'm honest.

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 11:00:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Bumping this.

I don't think blowing up about a pathetic franchise is really that much of a fault if I'm honest.

Maybe not but certainly says a lot about his previous character.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 11:18:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Oh definitely! Not only would their careers be longer, they would have a much, much easier time scoring in today's NBA. Guys like Magic, Bird, McHale, MJ, Barkley, Olajuwon, Reggie Miller, etc. would have been devastating in today's league.

Those guys were made for the modern NBA game. Instead many of them spent half their prime hobbling around and retired early from all the physical pounding their bodies got in the old days.
except there really isn't much evidence of guys with longer careers, at least at a prime level, today as opposed to the 80's.  There are always freaks of nature like Lebron, but you also had them in the 80's with guys like Kareem, Karl Malone, etc.  Historically the great players generally have the same career trajectory.  5-7 years to reach their prime, 6 years of prime, and then a few seasons on the back end (some of the guys hang around a bit longer but they aren't in their prime).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip